Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kim: 'Radiohead made other musicians look bad' (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31832)

pantophobia 06.05.2009 10:06 AM

Kim: 'Radiohead made other musicians look bad'

Sonic Youth: 'Radiohead made other musicians look bad'

Pic: James Quinton

Cult band also talk about their controversial record on Starbucks label

Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon has claimed that Radiohead showed up smaller, poorer bands with the release of 2007's 'In Rainbows', calling their release plan a "marketing ploy".

Radiohead let their fans pay as much or little as they wanted for the download release of the album, with many fans choosing to download it free.

Gordon has refuted the idea that the Oxford band put out the album off their own backs, criticising the plan.

"They did a marketing ploy by themselves and then got someone else to put it out," she told The Guardian.

She added: "It seemed really community-oriented, but it wasn't catered towards their musician brothers and sisters, who don't sell as many records as them. It makes everyone else look bad for not offering their music for whatever.

"It was a good marketing ploy and I wish I'd thought of it! But we're not in that position either. We might not have been able to put out a record for another couple of years if we'd done it ourselves. And it takes away from the actual making music."

In the same interview, co-frontman Lee Ranaldo spoke about Hits Are For Squares', the compilation record Sonic Youth put out on the Starbucks label last year.

"We thought we'd try it and see what happens," he said. "There's a certain side to this group that likes perversity, and that's a pretty perverse concept.

"At that time, Starbucks were selling records when no one else was. The majors were throwing up their hands. The irony is, for all the spewing it caused on the blogs, it is our most rare record. I have never seen a copy in a store, and I've never met anyone who's seen a copy in a store."

Sonic Youth's new album, 'The Eternal' is out on Monday (June 8).

automatic bzooty 06.05.2009 10:13 AM

i've seen hits are for squares in a starbucks!

Moshe 06.05.2009 10:13 AM

thanks. and here is the full interview:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...uth-rock-music

atsonicpark 06.05.2009 11:17 AM

Kim's right on about Radiohead making everyone else look bad for not adopting similiar policies.

Not to mention they suck ass musically.

(except kid a)

Decayed Rhapsody 06.05.2009 01:09 PM

Weren't you going to great lengths defending Kid A once?

LifeDistortion 06.05.2009 01:09 PM

Isn't this the same sort of argument that's been going on over internet music for some time now? Radiohead took thier album and cut out the middle man (i.e. record label), they gave thier fans who have been buying thier albums and going to thier shows for years this gift. And sure maybe they are lucky enough to afford to do this, good for them. Its not a model they're sticking to, they just had an album already recorded and no other way to get it out to the fans so they said here you go, download it, pay a small fee, what the fuck do we care?

max 06.05.2009 01:31 PM

pay a small fee if you will, that is what happened.
good for them who could afford it, but what about the countless others who have to shit blood in order to pay with their own money to make a record?

Kim's totally fucking right.

Theremin 06.05.2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Isn't this the same sort of argument that's been going on over internet music for some time now? Radiohead took thier album and cut out the middle man (i.e. record label), they gave thier fans who have been buying thier albums and going to thier shows for years this gift. And sure maybe they are lucky enough to afford to do this, good for them. Its not a model they're sticking to, they just had an album already recorded and no other way to get it out to the fans so they said here you go, download it, pay a small fee, what the fuck do we care?

Indeed, after like 2 years maybe everyone should kinda get over it already.

hevusa 06.05.2009 01:39 PM

Kim is wrong. It wasn't a marketing ploy... I downloaded the record at the price I set. How is that a ploy?

The point being made by Radiohead is it is impossible to control intellectual property in the current digital age. But if you give people some credit and provide the source for what they are looking to download they will respond fairly (average download price set by radiohead fans 4 pounds, about $6.50).

Is there even a download only version of the eternal available from Matador? Kim is right about one thing... Radiohead is making her look bad, and rightfully so.

cdollaz 06.05.2009 01:46 PM

I can see both sides. It is a cool thing for a band to do. But she is right that it may create an expectation that all bands can afford to do it.

Keeping It Simple 06.05.2009 02:14 PM

kim has been in the music business for donkey's years. So she knows what she's talking about.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.05.2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
Sonic Youth: 'Radiohead made other musicians look bad'

She added: "It seemed really community-oriented, but it wasn't catered towards their musician brothers and sisters, who don't sell as many records as them. It makes everyone else look bad for not offering their music for whatever." [emphasis added]

they see me rollin..

they hatin..

Decayed Rhapsody 06.05.2009 02:30 PM

A million Radiohead fans across the internet rage and writhe in anger.

Rob Instigator 06.05.2009 02:48 PM

radiohead bores pink floyd style

Rob Instigator 06.05.2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
they see me rollin..

they hatin..

I met chamillionaire a year ago. nice guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2MXQXj5y0

acousticrock87 06.05.2009 02:57 PM

I saw Hits Are For Squares once at a record shop and didn't buy it. Goddamn it.

Rob Instigator 06.05.2009 02:59 PM

I have never seen a copy of Hits R 4 Squares

cdollaz 06.05.2009 03:07 PM

I have a copy of Hits Are For Squares on the way right now via Music Boomerang.

acousticrock87 06.05.2009 03:12 PM

So wait, does Lee's quote imply that he looks through the Sonic Youth section when he goes to record stores? That's awesome.

Rob Instigator 06.05.2009 03:18 PM

I bet kim was laughing when she made that radiohead crack.