Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's your most hated band? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30674)

Theremin 04.27.2009 05:59 AM

Muse.
Also Metallica, Tool, Live, The Killers and a bunch of lame British hypes a la Kaiser Chiefs who get way too much praise & airplay over here.

Youth_Against_Facism 04.27.2009 06:02 AM

Oh and Nickelback.

Youth_Against_Facism 04.27.2009 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i don't really see the point of hating a band either, however there are many bands whose music, if i'm unlucky enough to hear it, can induce acute feelings of alientation, misanthropy, and/or psychic pain. likewise such feelings can be aroused by people saying they hate an amzing band, like the contemptable person above saying they hate AC/DC.

I hate AC/DC, and I'm Aussie.

atsonicpark 04.27.2009 06:03 AM

Metallica are amazing. 90% of their work is great. Tool is also mostly great. Sure you guys don't just hate their fanbase and not the actual music those great bands create? I'm sorry, I just can't imagine someone sitting down and listening to a whole record from those bands, with unbiased ears, and walking away saying, "Yeah this band is AWFUL. I HATE them." There are tons of shitty, untalented bands making SHIT music. Sure, Metallica and Tool might be shitty to your ears, no matter what I say, but come on... really, the most HATED bands you can THINK of?! Quotes like "get way too much praise & airplay over here" make me really stop and think... I guess there should be a distinction made here. A person's most hated band isn't necassarily the worst music they've ever heard. So, it makes sense now. I answered my own question.

Also, to whoever mentioned Captain Beefheart, I hope you're kidding. Beefheart's a genius.

Youth_Against_Facism 04.27.2009 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Also, to whoever mentioned Captain Beefheart, I hope you're kidding. Beefheart's a genius.

YES! Whoever it was, you suck.

Theremin 04.27.2009 06:32 AM

Of course it isn't, even the likes of Muse at their worst are superiour to Katy Perry, Limp Bizkit or the local schlager-queens in every way. But mentioning bands or persons that suck by consensus wouldn't make a very interesting topic, woudn't it? So yeah, these kind of threads in the end always come down to the classical 'most overrated bands'-kind of answers.

atsonicpark 04.27.2009 06:45 AM

Haha/

LOCAL SCHLAGER-QUEENS would definitely be my real answer every time.

Decayed Rhapsody 04.27.2009 06:49 AM

Why do SY fans seem most enthused with hating bands? I don't understand it. Beefheart? Seriously?

Youth_Against_Facism 04.27.2009 06:51 AM

What do you expect it's the internet!

demonrail666 04.27.2009 07:23 AM

It's sometimes fun having a token hate figure, so long as it doesn't lead to spending too much time thinking about them.

I do utterly despise Henry Rollins, and get a strange sense of satisfaction in doing so.

Toilet & Bowels 04.27.2009 07:28 AM

muse are the second or third worst band ever. dream theatre being the worst, queen being the other contender for second place.

with metallica i find kirk hamnest's guitar playing hard to enjoy.

Toilet & Bowels 04.27.2009 07:30 AM

what's a schlager queen?

h8kurdt 04.27.2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
muse are the second or third worst band ever. dream theatre being the worst, queen being the other contender for second place.

with metallica i find kirk hamnest's guitar playing hard to enjoy.

Sacrilage!

[Sandbag] 04.27.2009 08:04 AM

both Muse and Dream Theather have a couple of good songs.

I don't hate any band.. generally I just go 'this band has got nothing to offer me' and stop listening to it.

When all the media wanks about one band, hailing them as the kings of alternative music, top 1 album of the year, most influential band at the moment, etc, and all that shit that's got nothing to do with music makes people hate a band it's really a shame.

u2 for example. I hate that they get so much attention from doing what they do. But I don't hate their music.. it's just fucking boring to me and it's got nothing to offer me. but I actually can't be arsed hating the myth around one little boring band.

Theremin 04.27.2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

what's a schlager queen?

Continental European females singing annoyingly sentimental and overly simplistic pop ballads, usually sung in their own respective languages. For some reason a lot of people actually dig that shit.
For instance:

wellcharge 04.27.2009 09:39 AM

hating bands can be fun, being apathetic to music you don't like makes alot more sense but whatever

the following artists can fuck off:

bright eyes
the arcade fire
rilo kiley
nin
tool
a perfect circle
nas
clap yr hands say yeah
devendra banhart
the casualties
pink floyd

Rob Instigator 04.27.2009 10:35 AM

the only bands/musicians I hate/cannot stand listening to are slow jam motherfuckers, sade, smooth jazz, rhythm and bullshit yeah

Toilet & Bowels 04.27.2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge

bright eyes

yes

lechaoscestmoi 04.27.2009 10:59 AM

i'm sure everyone hates these bands here..

Dream Theater
Oasis
U2
Pearl Jam
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nickelback
The Kooks
The Killers

Derek 04.27.2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
hating bands can be fun, being apathetic to music you don't like makes alot more sense but whatever

nin
nas

These are the only two I don't quite agree with. The Downward Spiral and Broken EP are two very well made releases with a lot of qualities to them. And yeah, Nas sucks now but Illmatic is one of my favourite hip hop records.

Big ups on the Pink Floyd though... they are amongst the most boring bands I've heard.