Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   sonic nurse 10 years old! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=106651)

SonicBebs 06.07.2014 04:15 PM

sonic nurse 10 years old!

Fuck me. Ten years ago today sonic nurse was released
According to facemuff

seems like only yesterday

whorefrost 06.07.2014 05:23 PM

Aye, saw that earlier. Feel auld as fuck now.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.07.2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
Fuck me. Ten years ago today sonic nurse was released
According to facemuff

seems like only yesterday

This is the day I camped out to get tickets to the Troubadour show here in LA.. I got those tickets quite literally by a miracle because the manager of the Amoeba Records was a total asshole. God 1, Asshole Manager 0.

I also go my ticket to the Filter Party secret show by camping out at Amoeba.

God 2, Asshole Manager 0.

noisereductions 06.07.2014 10:16 PM

we're getting old, y'all.

noisereductions 06.07.2014 10:17 PM

3 months after Nurse came out, I met my future wife. Crazy right?

mil_pl 06.08.2014 03:04 AM

I started listening to SY for serious when this record came out. Sentimental stuff.

Mortte Jousimo 06.08.2014 06:52 AM

To me it feels even longer time, so much happened after that...I remember when I heard Kim Gordon & Arthur Doyle from the radio & thought "is this another NY Ghosts-style-album?" Then I heard I love you Golden Blue & thought "yes, this must be as great as Murray". And it was!

dasx 06.09.2014 06:44 AM

Sonic Nurse is one of my favourite albums. It blew my mind then and still does!

deflinus 06.09.2014 04:47 PM

Dripping Dream forever blew my minndddd. And made me appreciate O'Rourke even more

zelocia 06.09.2014 09:44 PM

I Love You Golden Blue is one of the most beautiful songs they ever wrote. From Nurse I'm also quite fond of Stones and to slightly less of an extent, Unmade Bed.

Mortte Jousimo 06.10.2014 08:17 AM

I love all the other Nurse songs except Kim Gordon & Arthur Doyle. But itīs not of course bad.

EVOLghost 06.10.2014 09:50 AM

I'd just be starting to listen to SY right around this time.

SonicBebs 06.10.2014 01:48 PM

Can you remember the excitement of hunting down all their albums?
I got atl and washing machine around the same time and the world opened up to me

Rob Instigator 06.10.2014 02:01 PM

I love Sonic Nurse, but I never ever listen to Peace attack

Mortte Jousimo 06.10.2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
Can you remember the excitement of hunting down all their albums?
I got atl and washing machine around the same time and the world opened up to me

YES! Specially Made In Usa was very special to me. I didnīt buy it when it came, so I thought I would never find it. Then it was in the next vinyl happening! Also of course it was very great to order Sonic Death, EVOL, BMR & Dirty at the same time when I just have listened about three years SY.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.10.2014 11:18 PM

I bought Made in the USA when I was in 7th grade to follow up on Dirty and Goo which I fucking LOVED. But that record was so fucking beyond my young comprehension that I couldn't even listen to it, let alone appreciate what it was as a rarity and a work of art. I think that was a totally wasted soundtrack on a lame movie, it should have just been a record on its own. My sonic memories..

When I was in middle school Dirty and Goo were my favorite records. When A Thousand Leaves came out it not only took Sonic Youth to a new direction, but introduced me to music that was in an entirely different direction. Folks like to drool over OK Computer as such a different kind of record, and to be sure, it was, but I think A Thousand Leaves is such a superior record as an exploration at how different yet conventional music can be. I was at This Ain't No Picnic in 1999 when all their gear got jacked, they destroyed all that negativity borrowing a combination of sleater-kinney and sunny day real estate's gear, shredding into the darkness of dusk with She Is Not Alone telling those fuckers, "Fuck you we got this."

My girlfriend bought me NYC Ghosts and Flowers and was nervous that I wouldn't like it, it is bad ass. Sonic Nurse was such a fantastic era, I was at as many shows as I could get too, live it was sublime. That Filter Party in 2006?? In fact, Rather Ripped era in general was a lot of fun, and actually it converted a lot of my friends into liking Sonic Youth, which was radically different than my first decade listening to them when it was just me. We all went together to see the Jimmy Kimmel show like 15 deep!! Me and a friend snuck into the show at the Santa Monica Promenade in 2007, and I will forever regret not going to the Hollywood Bowl in 2010...

dasx 06.11.2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I love Sonic Nurse, but I never ever listen to Peace attack

But why? It's great song!

dasx 06.11.2014 02:27 AM

Searching (and finding) Sonic Youth (and other artists) vinyls is exciting. I recently (a couple of months ago) got Made In USA, finally. First time I heard it in the late 90's I found it very odd and really different than other SY albums I had heard but liked it very much.

Keeping It Simple 06.11.2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
3 months after Nurse came out, I met my future wife. Crazy right?

Are you saying it's down to the purchase of the album that you met your future wife? Was it discounted?

Rob Instigator 06.11.2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasx
But why? It's great song!

Overt politics do not suit the SONIC YOUTH.