Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1991 - The year punk broke (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=866)

PunkerViolence 04.12.2006 03:27 PM

1991 - The year punk broke

Anybody recomend this on VHS? Ive heared nothing but amazing comments about it...is it true....will i be dissapointed?? Where can i get my copy???

PunkerViolence 04.12.2006 03:28 PM

ooops sorry for double posting.....someone delete....admin?

finding nobody 04.12.2006 03:33 PM

yes this video is fucking great. i reccomend it 100%. no you will not be dissapointed. sadly, the only places i know of getting a copy at would be somewhere like amazon or ebay. but its only like seven bucks. buy it now!!!

The Ever Changing Face 04.13.2006 03:10 PM

I'm holding my breath for this to come out on DVD. My vhs copy is worn down to almost nothing, and someone's cat peed on it after I let them borrow one of the greatest rockumentaries ever. We had to have the cat destroyed for obvious reasons. Brother James sounds soooooo sweet on this VHS.

noisemachine 04.13.2006 03:19 PM

I still have not seen this, but they really need to put it on dvd so I can. I would buy the vhs, but I don't own a vhs player. Something with a lot of cool extras would be great, but just the movie would be fine as well. Just come out with something!

Feelyat 04.13.2006 03:23 PM

Yeah, get it if you can. I think we'll have to wait a while before the DVD comes out. The VHS is what got me irrevocably into Sonic Youth. I was twelve when Kurt Cobain died. After his death, I tried to get as much Nirvana as I could get my little hands on -- bootlegs, side projects, b-sides, etc. Eventually, I bought 1991: The Year Punk Broke and quite immediately after, Sonic Youth became my favorite band. The live versions of those songs are incredible -- played with such ferocity. It took "Schizophrenia" to hook me and "Teenage Riot" to reel me in completely. And I've never looked back.

The Ever Changing Face 04.13.2006 04:24 PM

There was some info I saw about a year back about it coming out on DVD, but you know these computronic machines and the false info they can send....

Gab 04.13.2006 04:50 PM

TTPB is incredible dude, 2 hours of good music and Thurston talking shit (i mean, the good shit, you know)

sellouteater 04.13.2006 04:52 PM

I guess i will have to buy this
gab, I had the 4 middle fingers first

sonikjuice 04.13.2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feelyat
Yeah, get it if you can. I think we'll have to wait a while before the DVD comes out. The VHS is what got me irrevocably into Sonic Youth. I was twelve when Kurt Cobain died. After his death, I tried to get as much Nirvana as I could get my little hands on -- bootlegs, side projects, b-sides, etc. Eventually, I bought 1991: The Year Punk Broke and quite immediately after, Sonic Youth became my favorite band. The live versions of those songs are incredible -- played with such ferocity. It took "Schizophrenia" to hook me and "Teenage Riot" to reel me in completely. And I've never looked back.

Ha! That's pretty similar to how I got into Sonic Youth. I got it for Christmas in 1994. I had Dirty at the time but was mostly into Nirvana and Dino Jr. After watching it a few times I was blown away by Sonic Youth. They were also reissuing all their albums on Geffen at the time and I ended up getting all of them over the next months. I liked how there was one track from each of their albums (plus 3 from Goo). I like the Brother James perfomance best (it actually made the album version a little disappointing)

marleypumpkin 04.13.2006 10:09 PM

I got lucky & found my VHS copy at a local record store. It was a used copy, but it had been barely used. So, I can wait for the DVD to be released.

sonicpollution 04.13.2006 10:18 PM

Yeah...1991: The Year Punk Broke is damn good...it was what really got me into SY. I'd heard some of their stuff before and though they were midly interesting, but I bought the VHS mainly for Nirvana. SY totally blew me away, and I was hooked from then on.

On that subject, anyone seen (This is Known as) The Blues Scale, the companion/extra footage thingy that was released in 2004? I've been meaning to track down a copy, but I've been lazy.

luckynumber9 04.13.2006 10:49 PM

TYPB... I love it. I think I'll watch it again this weekend. Yeah don't bother waiting for the DVD. You can get the VHS dirt cheap on amazon or elsewhere to hold you over until it does come out. Mine was still in the shrink wrap.

HaydenAsche 04.13.2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sellouteater
I guess i will have to buy this
gab, I had the 4 middle fingers first

ripFREY started it, n00b.

marleypumpkin 04.13.2006 10:52 PM

luckynumber9:

Lucky bastard. Your lucky in finding a none used copy of TYPB.

What year did that come out again? (ha ha)

JRPaperstacks 04.13.2006 11:42 PM

this is one of my favorite movies. not just for the music, but all of the in between stuff is really great. i cannot wait for it to come out on dvd. what ever happened to that project?

RockerNino 04.13.2006 11:45 PM

yea, ive been itching to buy it, but at the same time have been waiting for the DVD to come out.

IntoTheGroovey 04.14.2006 01:58 AM

Fuckin sweet movie. They need to bring this thing to DVD pronto, I was only able to see it via internet download and it looked and sounded like shite. Definitely some great music and amusing ahem insights by Thurston.

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 08:35 AM

"It's not a fake. It's not a clone. It's just FUCKING LIVE MAN!"
-Thurston Moore (1991 TYPB)

kingcoffee 04.14.2006 10:11 AM

I think that it is already on DVD. And yes, you should definitely see this film. It is awesome. A great documentary detailing Sonic Youth's tour of Europe in 1991. Awesome supporting bands, too. Dinosaur Jr, Ramones, Gumball, Nirvana, Babes In Toyland etc.