Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best jazz drummer? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6497)

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 09.28.2006 04:07 PM

Best jazz drummer?

I don't know about jazz drummers that much, or know more than a handful but Jazz styled percussion is my favorite. I was wondering who yr favorite jazz drumers were.
////
[end transmission]

Hip Priest 09.28.2006 04:48 PM

I'll open the bidding with Art Blakey.

DemonBox 09.28.2006 05:03 PM

Elvin Jones.

Everyneurotic 09.28.2006 05:03 PM

han bennink
chris corsano's work with paul flaherty and others qualify him.
gene krupa
billy cobham
elvin jones
william winant
tom surgal (although surgal and winant can be seen as "avant garde" more than jazz)

can't think of more right now.

m^a(t)h 09.28.2006 06:31 PM

elvin jones, just listening to the intro to love supreme(when the drums are kicking in) fucking great.

i really hate avant garde drums.

drrrtyboots 09.28.2006 07:57 PM

corsano with flaherty as well since i'm uneducated in mostly all jazz.

TheMadcapLaughs 09.28.2006 09:28 PM

tony williams is pretty good, i mean, im better, but hes pretty good

Alex's Trip 09.28.2006 09:32 PM

I don't know much about jazz, but I'd like to get into it more.

I have a Miles Davis and Coltrane CD, but nothing else. I also have my alram clock set to a jazz station because there are no other good stations.

atari 2600 09.28.2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
tony williams is pretty good, i mean, im better, but hes pretty good

Elvin Jones
Tony Williams
Max Roach
Art Blakey
Dannie Richmond
Jorge Rossy
Jack De Johnette
Rashied Ali
Han Bennink
Roy Haynes/Philly Jo Jones

It's really impossible to say whether Elvin is better than Tony and whether Max is better than Art.

hebbel 09.28.2006 09:50 PM

who played drums on coltranes "blue train"?...

DJ Rick 09.28.2006 09:56 PM

Rashied Ali is my fave.

Tony Oxley should be mentioned here.

Kevin Corcoran is a local dude that melts my face off.

More like "death-jazz", but both drummers in the band Ettrick are excellent, especially Jacob Heule (the more jazzy of the two drummers).

atari 2600 09.28.2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hebbel
who played drums on coltranes "blue train"?...

/

Philly Jo Jones...you know, I think he's around Roy Haynes level. He's great.

That one is mainly a blues, but PJ really cooks.

The thing about Rashied is that his inspirations are Art and Philly Joe, but he adds that multi-tonal avant garde thing into the mix and of course played on Coltrane's later in-your-face material. For some of those reasons, I put him above Bennink, who to me is also head and shoulders, along with Ali, above the rest of any the more 'free' drummers.

krastian 09.28.2006 11:49 PM

I'll throw Buddy Rich into the mix.

coolchip 09.29.2006 12:50 AM

Sonny Murray . What the fuck?

sonicl 09.29.2006 03:38 AM

William Hooker

_slavo_ 09.29.2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
I don't know about jazz drummers that much, or know more than a handful but Jazz styled percussion is my favorite. I was wondering who yr favorite jazz drumers were.

Steve Shelley

Glice 09.29.2006 12:19 PM

Anyone heard Milford Grave's solo outing on Tzadik? That was mightily impressive.

Savage Clone 09.29.2006 12:24 PM

Hearing mention of Philly Joe Jones made me want to post this LP of his with the most fantastic cover:

atari 2600 09.29.2006 02:18 PM

Roy Haynes

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roy Owen Haynes (born March 13, 1925) is a jazzdrummer
Haynes was born in Boston, Massachusetts and began his full time professional career in 1945. From 1947 to 1949 he worked with Lester Young, and from 1949 to 1952 was a member of the Charlie Parker Quintet. He also recorded at the time with Bud Powell, Wardell Gray, and Stan Getz. From 1953 to 1958 he toured with Sarah Vaughan.
Haynes is one of the most recorded drummers in jazz and in his over 60-year career has played in a wide range of styles ranging from swing to avant-garde jazz. In addition to being a sideman, some feel that Haynes is one of the most original musicians in jazz history. He has a highly expressive, personal style ("Snap Crackle" was a nickname given him in the 1950's) and is known to foster a deep engagement in his bandmates, listening and supporting and lifting the whole band rhythmically and sonically.
He is equally adept at gracefully backing a singer like Sarah Vaughan or in explosive interactions with the likes of John Coltrane, Chick Corea, Eric Dolphy, or Andrew Hill. He was inducted into the Down Beat Magazine Hall of Fame in 2004.
Haynes has recorded or performed with Gary Burton, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Henry Grimes, Christian McBride, Jackie McLean, Pat Metheny, Thelonious Monk, Gerry Mulligan, Art Pepper, Horace Tapscott and many others. He has also led his own groups, some performing under the name Hip Ensemble. His most recent recordings as a leader are The Roy Haynes Trio, Fountain of Youth and Where As (recorded live at the Artists' Quarter).
As of 2006, he continues to perform world-wide.
His son Graham is a cornetist and his grandson, Marcus Gilmore, is an up-and-coming jazz drummer.

---

In 2005, he received a best instrumental jazz album nomination for "Fountain of Youth," an album for which he is the drummer that was recorded at Birdland in New York City on December 4 & 5, 2003 when he was seventy-nine.

He is now eighty-one years old.

hat and beard 09.29.2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Anyone heard Milford Grave's solo outing on Tzadik? That was mightily impressive.

yes! there are two of them actually.

and tho i do be one to hate lists...
elvin jones
max roach
hans bennink
art blakey
and for making use of the ever so rare homemade sets... milford graves and tony oxley