Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Another summer topic! About Comets on Fire! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30830)

summer 04.29.2009 03:31 AM

Another summer topic! About Comets on Fire!

Alright well there is this band called Comets on Fire. They make music, and it is good music, it is music that reminds me of Grateful Dead, with the striking difference that they do not suck.

What is some more music that sounds like the Dead but is not awful?

atsonicpark 04.29.2009 04:28 AM

you should start every thread with " Another summer topic! "

Anyway, we've already had a topic on comets on fire. But yeah they're okay. Not sure how Dead-y they sound, but sure. I'm just going to suggest that you listen to ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE.

Toilet & Bowels 04.29.2009 04:47 AM

let's forget about this thread until summer starts

summer 04.29.2009 04:49 AM

Hmm I always thought Acid Mothers Temple were more of a drone band, do they really sound like Comets on Fire?

atsonicpark 04.29.2009 04:50 AM

Depends on what your definition of a "drone band" is.

Or what your definition of "psychadelic" is.

I guess I'm saying, Acid Mothers sounds more like the good parts of Grateful Dead than Comets on Fire do, to me.

summer 04.29.2009 04:51 AM

Uhhhh I guess Earth's Earth 2? I honestly don't know much about the genre in the first place so I guess either way is a win-win. Either find more music like Comets on Fire, or find more drone. >.>

atsonicpark 04.29.2009 04:52 AM

Haha, okay, I guess some Acid Mothers does sound like Earth 2 (I mean, they have well over 100 releases, so....), but most of it is quite.... psychadelic. If that's what you're after.

summer 04.29.2009 04:59 AM

Oh gosh is this like Merzbow where he releases every time he takes a shit on the toilet sort of deal or are 100 albums actually warranted from them? I mean Frank Zappa released quite a few albums too and well.. not all of them but a lot of them were at least good. So who knows maybe Acid Mothers Temple have a reason to release that many too? :|

atsonicpark 04.29.2009 05:00 AM

There are plenty of great bands with super-large discographies. Hell, Sonic Youth -- counting all ep's/singles.. fuck it, let's count side projects too, for fun -- probably are involved with well over 500 releases, if not more.

PS: Merzbow rules.

summer 04.29.2009 05:02 AM

I don't know I've kind of been afraid to check out noise because it seems so.. pointless? Is there any melody or redeeming factor to his music? I've only heard a song or two and just assumed it's all the same. Is it anything like Autechre, at all? Cause I love them

atsonicpark 04.29.2009 05:03 AM

Hahaha. You either get it or you don't. I dunno what else to say.

tesla69 04.29.2009 08:43 AM

fans of comets should absolutely own the Birds of Maya album, I'm also digging the upcoming Eternal Tapestry lp on 3lobed, in a similar wild rocker vein. Heavy WInged are good free rock in a similar vein.

DeadDiscoDildo 04.29.2009 11:19 AM

atsonicpark do u like my band?

www.myspace.com/rememberthatband

otherwise I might as well quit, if I can't convert fellow music snobs right?

and I know I know, you're nooooot a music snob....bahahaha.

DeadDiscoDildo 04.29.2009 11:20 AM

I need to listen to comets on fire before I make an opinion regarding this thread.

narlus 04.29.2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
Hmm I always thought Acid Mothers Temple were more of a drone band, do they really sound like Comets on Fire?

AMT is not a drone band (however, solo Makoto can be).
CoF sound nothing like the Grateful Dead.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.29.2009 03:30 PM

Not really like Comets on Fire but you should check out 'Mammatus', pretty good stuff.

Kuwa_Slayne 04.29.2009 06:02 PM

I don't really see the similarities between Comets on Fire and The Greatful Dead, but I'll be the first to admit that I haven't heard too much of the Dead. Any tunes or albums in particular?

super_charger 04.30.2009 07:58 PM

I love the Dead and I recall quite a few reviews of Murray St. hinting that the Youth were taking some inspiration from them for that album. That's probably not a popular opinion around these part though, hehe. But if you're really interested in checking them out I'd start with their earlier material which is definatelly more psychedelic. Dick's Picks Vl. 4 is one of my favorite, Dick's Vl. 16 as well. Both are culled from soundboard recordings of their late 60s early 70s live shows and have pretty 'far out' extended jamming sections. Keep in mind they do this while staying firmly in a 'classic rock' mold, so if that's not your thing I would skip them entirely.

dntrecords 04.30.2009 09:17 PM

eternal tapestry sound like a bootlegged dead

Torn Curtain 05.01.2009 07:47 AM

Comets on Fire remind me of The Stooges with Ron Asheton on guitar rather than the Grateful dead.