Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Aphex Twin (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9897)

Trasher02 01.16.2007 02:49 PM

Aphex Twin

Aphex Twin rocks, discuss.

The Lung 01.16.2007 02:54 PM

Selected Ambient Works 2 is one of my favorite albums ever made but I've never got into his other stuff properly. Those drums beats can just piss me off sometimes. That mashed potato song is amazing though.

James Blonde 01.16.2007 03:04 PM

James Blonde used to like AT when was teenager but nowadays... there's just too much other music to concentrate. So no vote from James Blonde.

funhouse 01.16.2007 04:08 PM

yeah aphex twin are pretty good. plus chris cunningham does all the videos.

Glice 01.16.2007 04:11 PM

Cunningham only did two, didn't he? I seem to remember two things about any other videos - they were ostensibly homemade; they were awful.

Hip Priest'll be here to wax lyrical presently, you mark my words.

The 97th Hammer 01.17.2007 01:59 AM

I got both of the ambient works albums for christmas and whilst they're nice enough, they're nothing that blows me away.

sun city girl 01.17.2007 03:46 AM

...i care because you do is my fave.

Tokolosh 01.17.2007 04:50 AM

"Come to Daddy" (1997) video for Aphex Twin
"Windowlicker" (1999) video for Aphex Twin

"flex" (2000), using "Flex" by Aphex Twin
"Monkey Drummer" (2001), using "Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michaels mount" from Aphex Twin's album drukqs
"Rubber Johnny" (2005), using "Afx237 V7" from Aphex Twin's album drukqs

The Lung 01.17.2007 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 97th Hammer
I got both of the ambient works albums for christmas and whilst they're nice enough, they're nothing that blows me away.

Radiator, Tree, Rhubarb, Curtains, Hankie all blow me away when I'm wasted. I think you have to listen to it when you're fucked and in a dark forest for the full effect.

atsonicpark 01.20.2007 11:02 PM

i actually like drukqs the best. i know it's unpopular but yeah...

aphex twin to me is the perfect example of different types of music.. like, "what's good electronic ambient?" then, you'd point someone in the direction of an aphex twin album. or "what's a good jungle album?" then you'd point them in the direction of aphex twin. aphex represents so much...

yep.

alyasa 01.21.2007 12:04 AM

Aphex Twin is the reference point and yardstick by which modern electronic music is judged, his Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is a masterpiece of minimal electronic sublimity, every synth line and thin, reverbed percussion hit unwasted, profound, a coloring, subtle, yet willfully intense, combining to form a sonic landscape of utter profundity. His mastery and astuteness in manipulating electronic signals into musical artistry is inspirational.

Dead-Air 01.21.2007 12:11 AM

I voted for God, but that's really over the top. Nonetheless, I do listen to him fairly often, and play every new release on my radio show when it comes out. He's done some really great stuff, and his worst is still pretty good. 26 Remixes for Cash had some great takes on stuff on it, and the ambient albums are great. I still prefer Autechre when it comes to the Warp scene though.

atsonicpark 01.21.2007 12:13 AM

"Aphex Twin is the reference point and yardstick by which modern electronic music is judged,"

That's what I meant to say. But you said it better.

And to the person who mentioned Autechre... Autechre is my favorite electronic artist of all time, but I think them and Aphex are completely different.

The Lung 01.21.2007 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyasa
Aphex Twin is the reference point and yardstick by which modern electronic music is judged, his Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is a masterpiece of minimal electronic sublimity, every synth line and thin, reverbed percussion hit unwasted, profound, a coloring, subtle, yet willfully intense, combining to form a sonic landscape of utter profundity. His mastery and astuteness in manipulating electronic signals into musical artistry is inspirational.

Yeah!

Hip Priest 01.22.2007 01:29 PM

Not God, but probably God's Musician.

ZEROpumpkins 10.13.2007 04:02 AM

Massive bump.
I got Richard D. James album today and it's very good. Where should I go from here? I'm thinking "I care because you do"

atsonicpark 10.13.2007 07:31 AM

Richard D. James album probably features his best melodies. But I'd go for Druqks. It has EVERYTHING (if you, um, like EVERYTHING): prepared piano solos, super-complex drum programming at times, minimal drumming at other times, pure on melodic mayhem, straight-up techno bounciness, etc etc etc. Every shade of Richard is on Drukqs. It's great and underrated.

atsonicpark 10.13.2007 08:12 AM

Hmm. He definitely doesn't recieve too much hype; he's simply one of the best (if not THE best) at what he does. I don't think it's possible to dispute that.

But.. Stars of the Lid.. I own (yes, own, like actual copies) everything they have done.. love them, one of my all time favorite artists, "The Ballasted Orchestra" is one of my favorite albums of all time.

sarramkrop 10.13.2007 08:16 AM

I prefer They Came From The Stars than Stars Of The Lid. Aphex Twin is highly overrated, but he did produce some good stuff indeed. A personal favourite is his remix of Bowie's Heroes simphony.

demonrail666 10.13.2007 08:24 AM

The Aphex Twin has managed to stand above his contemporaries by being the most inventive figure in a fairly conservative scene. Apart from one or two tracks, I've never been that impressed.