Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   (smog) thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5024)

whorefrost 08.11.2006 02:59 AM

(smog) thread

a little while ago i had a sudden urge to investigate the music of smog. i have been acquiring his albums gradually, allowing myself time to digest them. so far i have red apple falls (delightful), dongs of sevotion (in a way, even more delightful) and supper (less delightful but still splendid)
any other fans? what are yr favourites?

porkmarras 08.11.2006 03:20 AM

My favourite is Red Apple Falls purely for the fact that it was the first smog album proper that i've bought.I particularly like 'The blood red bird' on that one.

toxic johnny 08.11.2006 03:22 AM

I have Knock Knock, Supper and A River Ain't Too Much To Love.
I would heartily recommend my favourite which is Knock Knock... especially Cold Blooded Old Times.
Bill Callahan is a bit of a slow burner for me... I don't play his albums a great deal but when I do I always enjoy them... his lyrics are pure joy. He is an artist that I will explore gradually when the mood takes me... which isn't a bad thing imo.

porkmarras 08.11.2006 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic johnny
I have Knock Knock, Supper and A River Ain't Too Much To Love.
I would heartily recommend my favourite which is Knock Knock... especially Cold Blooded Old Times.
Bill Callahan is a bit of a slow burner for me... I don't play his albums a great deal but when I do I always enjoy them... his lyrics are pure joy. He is an artist that I will explore gradually when the mood takes me... which isn't a bad thing imo.

Correct as always Toxic Johnny.I don't play his music a great deal(certainly not as much as i used to) but when i do it just feels totally right to do it.

whorefrost 08.11.2006 05:32 AM

red apple falls was the first one i got and it is very special, i dig the blood red bird track as well. one of the few musicians me and my lady can agree on. i like dongs of sevotion cuz it's so eclectic but it still sounds like smog throughout...

porkmarras 08.11.2006 05:37 AM

I don't think that there is a single album of his that i dislike.Somehow it's almost as if by magic you can't dislike Smog's music.I can't explain this one right now but it feels that way with his music.'Cold blooded old times' is another one that i love and that has great lyrics to match!Oh and obviously 'I break horses'!That one is a bomb!

RdTv 08.11.2006 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
I don't think that there is a single album of his that i dislike.Somehow it's almost as if by magic you can't dislike Smog's music.I can't explain this one right now but it feels that way with his music.'Cold blooded old times' is another one that i love and that has great lyrics to match!Oh and obviously 'I break horses'!That one is a bomb!

My sentiment exactly.

My favourites include: Red Apple Falls, A River Ain't Too Much To Love, Supper. In no other term can he be classified than ''slow burner''. BUT that is one really congenial burn, the kind that begs for: fall weather, cheap fiction novels and marijuana.

o o o 08.11.2006 06:22 AM

my favourite is probably "Knock, Knock".
i also love "Wild Love", "Julius Caesar", "Red Apple Falls", "Dongs of sevotion". the compilation of b-sides/rarities "Accumulation:none" is also really good...

and i would also recommend the EP "Kicking a couple around", which features the aforementioned wonderful "I Break Horses"...

here is a video for that song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_I_yf2mS0

porkmarras 08.11.2006 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o o o
my favourite is probably "Knock, Knock".
i also love "Wild Love", "Julius Caesar", "Red Apple Falls", "Dongs of sevotion". the compilation of b-sides/rarities "Accumulation:none" is also really good...

and i would also recommend the EP "Kicking a couple around", which features the aforementioned wonderful "I Break Horses"...

here is a video for that song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_I_yf2mS0

Yep that's my very first smog ep.

Toilet & Bowels 08.11.2006 07:26 AM

i'd go for wild love & knock knock, julius caesar is also excellent.
the only one i never realy got into was The Doctor Came At Dawn.

Signpost 08.11.2006 08:09 AM

I like Red Apple Falls, Dongs Of Sevotion and A River Ain't Too Much To Love.
His music is great. I don't play it much but i really like it.

Brett Robinson 08.11.2006 02:07 PM

the best thing about SMOG is that he fucked lisa carver. but who hasnt?!?!

his version of In the pines is interesting. i prefer chan's version of bathysphere to bill's.

krastian 08.11.2006 02:07 PM

I really like him. I Was a Stranger is pretty tuff to beat......yep. There are still a few of his that I haven't heard yet. He's got a pretty big catalog when you think about it.

Toilet & Bowels 08.11.2006 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Robinson
i prefer chan's version of bathysphere to bill's.

her version lacks the humour of the original in my opinion

jon boy 08.11.2006 02:15 PM

yeah i love smog. knock knock was a good one but i also like kicking a couple around and red apple falls. the dr came a dawn is good but not as some of the others.

narlus 08.11.2006 10:45 PM

The Doctor Came at Dawn is the high point, for me. such a strong, claustrophobic record, straight out of the gates w/ "You Moved In".

sarramkrop 11.26.2007 07:52 PM

I have been listening to him a lot, recently. I really, really, really love 'My Shelf (Electric Version)' so very much. Really, really love it. Really.

sarramkrop 11.26.2007 07:54 PM

[quote=toxic johnny]
quote]
That song is so great.

loubarret 10.22.2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Yep that's my very first smog ep.

*brings this back from the death*

It is by far my favorite smog release, and I am a gaint smog fan/. Break horses is beautyfull but the headpoint is the Your New Friend. There never been song more painfull(and also funny in some way) about jelaosy of your ex's new boyfriend. 7 minutes of minimal guitarplaying and Bill talking over only a guitar.

Music never came almost not painfuller to this.

the ikara cult 10.22.2009 01:46 PM

His whole catalogue just reminds me of walking half an hour in the rain next to an A-road, uphill, to a job i hated.
Doctor Came at Dawn is the best one, but listneing to it all the way through requires a very specific frame of mind. Red Apple Falls is yr best all-purpose Smoggery. Bathysphere, Dress Sexy at my funeral, Morning Paper, Its Rough, Ex Con, Blood Red Bird, Cold Discovery, Bathroom Floor, Somewhere in the night, Lize, Four Hearts in a can. The list goes on and on.