Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   If i see another thread about...... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10891)

porkmarras 02.28.2007 11:01 AM

If i see another thread about......

....Dinosaur Jr , Nirvana,Courtney Love or Pavement i think that i might puke up my lunch.Is there any need to say the obvious things about these musicians anymore than has been said a trillion times before?How awfully tedious and narrow minded of some of you.

Savage Clone 02.28.2007 11:04 AM

I was thinking of starting a thread about having a moratorium on several of these artists as well. I would include MBV and JAMC too, fan though I am.

porkmarras 02.28.2007 11:07 AM

That's my point.I'm actually a Nirvana and JAMC fan too but,christ,this is getting to the point of debating the blatantly uninteresting and the easily googled stuff.Is Courtney Love a saint,a whore or a clever business woman?Who cares?

demonrail666 02.28.2007 11:25 AM

+1 from me on that one.

foxforce5 02.28.2007 11:34 AM

Hey porkmarras - love yr avatar, using as my desktop background now, as well as, I wouldn't say girlfriend, but definitly someone I've been hanging out/having fun with as well as confiding in. I'm guessing you got it from the eMOMA site, non?

I see more "list" or "favorite ________" threads encouraging regurgitation of canonized bands than I see actual threads dedicated to said bands.

I remember a David Lynch thread that was, like, ahhhh, so totally interesting with some very well crafted arguments.

Perhaps a commitee should be assembled to autopsy past interesting threads and discover the anatomy of a splendid thread then report their findings wearing tweed vests and monocles and making sporting use of cigarette holders for the ladies and pipes for the gentlemen, as well as devilishly well timed single eyebrow raises.

Many people on this forum seem to be failed painters, photographers etc. I wouldn't mind seeing more art related (history/obscure cool or partially cool artists/homemade stuff) threads.

And food. Their was a thread with recipes on it once, by Jove!

Atari's picks are lovely too...

porkmarras 02.28.2007 11:40 AM

I'd pay anyone to tell me something about Kurt Cobain or Jesus And Mary Chain that i don't know already.

king_buzzo 02.28.2007 11:48 AM

sonicl 02.28.2007 11:48 AM

Jim Reid can trace his roots directly back to Bonnie Prince Charlie, and can recite his family tree from memory. That'll be £5, please.

porkmarras 02.28.2007 11:51 AM

Do you accept crisps?

atari 2600 02.28.2007 11:57 AM

If i see another thread about...... porkmarras

sonicl 02.28.2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Do you accept crisps?

No. But I will take chocolate.

porkmarras 02.28.2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600

uh?

Rob Instigator 02.28.2007 12:45 PM

something you did not know about jesus and mary chain

they were originally called Jesus and Mary DAISY chain

;)

porkmarras 02.28.2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
something you did not know about jesus and mary chain

they were originally called Jesus and Mary DAISY chain

;)

There you go.You really know how to earn them.

porkmarras 02.28.2007 12:53 PM

Ok,i'll offer to sleep with the first person who tells me why Kevin Shields liked sleeping during the day so much.

Inhuman 02.28.2007 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo

I've never seen a tumbleweed. I want one

Rob Instigator 02.28.2007 01:10 PM

One solution could be for the audience at MBV gigs to get together at the end and shout: "It sounded brilliant to us, Kevin!" Or else the Valentines could well retreat even further from the depredations of the outside world into the depths of the studio, where days blur into weeks and weeks blur into months and months blur...

"You get a good feeling of what it must be like to be in prison," says Kevin dryly about life. "The vast majority of evenings we spent in bed, while we were making the album. Starting work at midnight. Going to bed in the morning. Not really waking up till ten at night. And when you do that for months...and months...a year...years...You get pretty disoriented."

Do you sleep through world events?

"No you don't," he says firmly. "You see all the world events before everyone else does cos you watch the morning news on TVAM. And you see everything three or four times. We got bombarded by the Gulf War. The only thing that didn't seem to fit in was the outside world. Serious world events were the only time gauge we had for what was going on."

Most people's lives revolve around the early evening phone call as friends ring each other to check what everyone's doing that night. My Bloody Valentine were just off to bed around then.

porkmarras 02.28.2007 01:14 PM

I'm coming.

king_buzzo 02.28.2007 01:56 PM

is that jackie chan?

porkmarras 03.01.2007 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
this has been happening for ages. wouldnt mind stickered threads about those bands.
if those people spend few of their energy to check out even a 10% of stuff posted in this section, that would be lovely. for their own shake i mean. its not a great feeling to realize you have spend zillions of hours listening the same things over again, while you could have enriched your listenings (been there).

^ Yes yes yes yes.