Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   excellent italian greyhound (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12785)

Everyneurotic 06.01.2007 06:10 PM

by the way paul, something funny happened.

i found the link somewhere on the web and then, when the download was about to finish, i get the email from the yahoo group with your upload.

_slavo_ 06.02.2007 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
terraform is quickly approaching my favorite actually... though i guess nothing could ever top at action park, but...

"Didn't we deserve", "this is a picture", and "canada" are 3 of my favorite shellac songs (besides "crow" of course).

crow is a motherfucking killer.

drrrtyboots 06.02.2007 10:14 AM

Just got the vinyl last night and i'm fucking love it. That first track is crazy heavy.

king_buzzo 06.02.2007 10:16 AM

Hey is there a Raconteurs cover on the record?

drrrtyboots 06.02.2007 10:28 AM

What's the raconteurs cover look like?

farmhouse 06.02.2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
Hey is there a Raconteurs cover on the record?

god no! fuck off! . . . .

i presume yr talking about 'steady as she goes'?

PAULYBEE2656 06.02.2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
by the way paul, something funny happened.

i found the link somewhere on the web and then, when the download was about to finish, i get the email from the yahoo group with your upload.

shellac yknow. its all about the timing!!!!!

PAULYBEE2656 06.02.2007 11:24 AM

isnt genuine lullabelle one of the best thing you have ever heard in your life........

king_buzzo 06.02.2007 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmhouse
god no! fuck off! . . . .

i presume yr talking about 'steady as she goes'?

yeah. So its not? thank god.

atsonicpark 06.02.2007 02:26 PM

paco is unbelievable

Androol 06.02.2007 11:53 PM

laughably rehashed. they should break up now. perfect example of why a band tours before an album is released :)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 06.03.2007 02:23 AM

I've been listening to it a bit. Still a bit too fresh to give a decent opinion. I like the first song, I like songs that sort of tell a story.

Anyone think it is weird that one of the songs is named "Steady as she goes"(raconteurs) and another named Elephant (white stripes) that starts out "here comes the argument" (fugazi) I wonder if any of those are intentional.

Although Kim Gordon's Panties by Rapeman had a bunch of SY lyrics.

farmhouse 06.03.2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I've been listening to it a bit. Still a bit too fresh to give a decent opinion. I like the first song, I like songs that sort of tell a story.

Anyone think it is weird that one of the songs is named "Steady as she goes"(raconteurs) and another named Elephant (white stripes) that starts out "here comes the argument" (fugazi) I wonder if any of those are intentional.

Although Kim Gordon's Panties by Rapeman had a bunch of SY lyrics.

yes. good point. bob has also stated that he quotes slint in shoe song from 1000 hurts. "I MISS YOUUUUUUUU" . . . from good morning captain.

i would say definately quotes fugazi on this one . . . couldn't be sure about the jack white references.

atsonicpark 06.03.2007 06:40 AM

i always wondered if "i miss you" was a slint reference. but as soon as i heard the fugazi lyric, i knew it was a fugazi reference.

this album is excellent, far from a rehash. kind of a strange album though. they remade spoke, which is like a 10 year old song. and there are 2 instrumental songs. and the songs all end the same way. and bob is singing more.

excellent!

PAULYBEE2656 06.03.2007 01:14 PM

and todd gets his baritone blixa voice in there too!

sarramkrop 06.03.2007 01:44 PM

I've had the time of listening to just three tracks and they are alright, nothing special. I know that you need the repated listening to fully 'experience it', but I'm such a tyrant, you need to look fresh on the first date.

nicfit 06.03.2007 01:54 PM

Well, I listened to it a bunch of times, and I really enjoy it. It's by far the "funniest" shellac record in my opinion. Paco is AMAZING, Genuine lulabelle in AMAZING, I love almost all the songs, it has a less "dramatic" mood and the production is even "drier" than usual, it's like a funny punch in the face, you know, when you pretend to fight with a friend of yours but, unintenionally, he really hits you and hurts you but you can't help laughing? Here you go, like that.

nomadicfollower 06.03.2007 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
the production is even "drier" than usual

This is the best sounding Shellac album.

sarramkrop 06.03.2007 02:02 PM

I know what you mean, but I expected a burglar to hold me at gun point and then kill me. At least from Shellac, that is.

Edit- Nicola

nicfit 06.03.2007 02:04 PM

Oh, I forgot to add: if you're tired of older shellac albums, this one will probably not re-raise your interest level, it's not a big step forward (or to the side), it's just a fu*king good shellac album.
Yeah, nomadic, you're probably right, but I still love the sound of all of 'em.