Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Clash (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8861)

Dead-Air 12.12.2006 12:08 AM

Sandanista for me hands down. Tripple album with all good songs and some of the most experimental "punk" music ever made.

WHOREOHSCOPE 12.12.2006 12:29 AM

krastian 12.12.2006 02:26 AM

Self titled.....then Black Market Clash because it always makes me want to dance.

dietzer123 12.12.2006 02:30 AM

i met a guy once who frequented alot of the world music clubs that joe strummer went to and had met him a couple of times

evollove 12.12.2006 03:20 PM

There is so much raw fury on that first one. Fuck I fough the Law. The Police and Theives cover took some balls. Janie Jones is a lengendary rock figure. Career Oppertunities? I must have sung that while looking through the help wanted section a billion times. Easily one of the best (and best sounding) bits of agit-prop the era produced.

Listen to the Sandinista version of Career as see how they had become a totally different band. When we're talking about the PUNK band The Clash, there's only the debut. Everything else seems like an experimental stab at everything BUT punk music, with widly variying results. Admit it: you skip a few tracks on London and especially Sandinista. Personally, I skip damn near all of them.

Dead-Air 12.13.2006 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
There is so much raw fury on that first one. Fuck I fough the Law. The Police and Theives cover took some balls. Janie Jones is a lengendary rock figure. Career Oppertunities? I must have sung that while looking through the help wanted section a billion times. Easily one of the best (and best sounding) bits of agit-prop the era produced.

Listen to the Sandinista version of Career as see how they had become a totally different band. When we're talking about the PUNK band The Clash, there's only the debut. Everything else seems like an experimental stab at everything BUT punk music, with widly variying results. Admit it: you skip a few tracks on London and especially Sandinista. Personally, I skip damn near all of them.

Hardly. I listen to Sandanista from start to finish. I think it's one of the best rock albums ever put to wax.

Mind, I do love the first one, but I'm glad they didn't just do it over and over. They were too good for that. Though I don't like how they ended up of course. Sort of like Bowie, too much cocaine and then you have to do a total pop album to pay for it all, and then everything after that is complete shit.

evollove 12.13.2006 03:38 PM

Okay. Fair enough. People like all of Sandinista. I'll accept that.

But then...what's wrong with Combat Rock? You've got the weird dub stuff, jazzy stuff, funk, etc. It always struck me as a more compact Sandinista.

Dead-Air 12.13.2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Okay. Fair enough. People like all of Sandinista. I'll accept that.

But then...what's wrong with Combat Rock? You've got the weird dub stuff, jazzy stuff, funk, etc. It always struck me as a more compact Sandinista.

Interesting question. I'm not sure why those songs don't stick with me the way the ones on Sandanista do. And then there are the highly mediocre and way played to death hits. I think the thing is for me, on Sandanista, much of the experimentation and pop happens at the same time (though I love the full on Revolution #9ish mindfuckery too) while on Combat Rock the pop is completely pulled into the hits. Also, I just feel like it's a lot like Bowie's Lets Dance - a potentially great album consciously dumbed down to mass appeal.

Pookie 12.14.2006 05:00 AM

No votes for Cut The Crap?

sonicl 12.14.2006 05:15 AM

I voted for the first one, out of sheer love for some of the songs: Police And Thieves... Garageland... What's My Name...

Pookie 12.14.2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Cut the crap.

Is that a vote?

Pookie 12.14.2006 05:26 AM

Quote:

Cut the crap.

You can only vote once.

EvolutionPain 12.14.2006 08:46 PM

I agree with gmku. A lazy choice by a lazy poster.

Also going with Give 'Em Enough Rope.

sun city girl 12.15.2006 05:03 AM

no votes for black market clash? of course it's just a comp... but a good one!

sonicl 12.15.2006 05:13 AM

E=MC2 is a fucking classic. No '80s compliation should be without it.

sonicl 12.15.2006 05:16 AM

What rock star is our Patsy shagging these days, I wonder?

sonicl 12.15.2006 05:21 AM

You really don't like generalizations, do you? :) I'm talking about the sort of '80s "school disco" type compilations that seem to take up at least two racks in every High Street record shop. The ones for reminiscing about snogging Mandy from the year above and copping a crafty feel, and wondering where it all went wrong after that.

sonicl 12.15.2006 05:25 AM

Nostalgia sells. That's why the friends reunited thing got so successful too.

sonicl 12.15.2006 05:26 AM

Quote:

Excuse me MADAME,but i was referring to (s)way's post and,yes,the ones you talk about are the high street work of the devil.I mean,how many 'Changing Moods(!) OF The Seventies' compilations can one come accross till they reach for that bottle a bleach?

I wasn't talking to you! Why must you always be the centre of attention, eh??? It's always me, me, me, isn't it? Eh? Eh?

sonicl 12.15.2006 05:30 AM

No. I just like stating the obvious sometimes.

Your shoelace is undone.