Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 02.16.2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
I thought his album would be on par with MBDTF and Yeezus. Of course you disagree with me but it's all good.

On, yeah that ;)

Well, I genuinely think there are some moments that are custom made for louder on that album. Really, part of what's so surprising about your disapproval of the record is that when I hear it I think, "man, Louder's gonna dislocate a shoulder throwing his hands up to this shit!"

I'm going to go back to only paying attention to Kanye as an artist. I'm dropping his Twitter feed (I've already thrown some well intentioned but still somewhat scathing remarks at him in the past 24 hours), because I think paying attention to the non-musical elements of his crazy nature makes it harder to like him. Even for me. So I'm issuing an era of Kanye radio silence. I will reconsider if he Fucking allows me to buy the album that I've worn my thumbs out promoting, praising and defending over the last five days (goddamnit Kanye!!) For now though, I'm going back to where it all started. The media coverage and the constant tweets and new/rehashed articles do impact people's opinions.

I think Rolling Stone is partly to blame for the album being so polarizing. They wrote that article saying, essentially, that he was done, that he was ripping off Max B, that this album would disappoint... Kanye certainly read that, and what do you know? A few days later he's changing the title and switching the album around and trying to avoid the fate that RS had predicted. He got all nervous about his legacy and sales and being labeled "done" that he's now too afraid to release the album, fearing, most likely, that it will be his first non #1 record or undersell Yeezus (which statistically speaking, it probably will do... ESPECIALY if he *only releases it on fucking TIDAL so that he has no chance of getting high sales.)

Severian 02.16.2016 11:03 AM

I just watched that Taylor Swift video that won the "best music video" award. I didn't even realize Kendrick dropped a verse on Bad Blood!

It is a strong song. So is "Out of the woods." She's got a booming voice. I hate the way she always pouts for the camera. It's disgusting and absurd. I also hate how people freak the fuck out when she strums a few guitar chords. "Oh my god, she is so much better than Beyoncé because she does it all herself! Go feminism!!!" Yeah, well, perhaps she shouldn't... Perhaps she should consider hiring The-Dream or John Legend to write some more interesting lyrics for her.

noisereductions 02.16.2016 11:09 AM

I've never seen the video, but "Bad Blood" is awesome. I loved 1989 honestly.

Rob Instigator 02.16.2016 11:11 AM

I sat through the mindnumbing SUCK that was the Grammys last night.

So much suck.

What I HATED,
-Taylor Swift sucked shit, and was boring as fuck with her stupid "music."

-Fuck the Eagles, fuck Glenn Frey, let dad-rock die. James Taylor lost his voice years ago.

-While I admire the man, Kendrick Lamar's "performance" sucked. It was supposed to be transgressive but instead was muddled. I feel there is a very fine line between rap and spoken word shit, and I FUCKING HATE SPOKEN WORD SHIT "poetry". Besides, how transgressive and militant and "real" can you be when the entire thing is vetted and approved by the oligarchs at CBS and the Recording Musicians Academy? Fake.

-What was up with Ice Cube's fat son flashing a handful of rings like he was selling for TV Johnny Jewelry? That shit was stupid. Were they Super Bowl rings?

-Lady Gaga and her goddamn "tribute" to David Bowie had too many songs, and it LOOKED stupid once the camera pulled back. I would have loved her to pick two songs, an early one and a late one, and then SING THE SHIT OUT OF THEM. Besides, it goes to prove my long-standing contention that David Bowie's music is boring, vanilla, standard 4/4 basic chord progression CRAP, and that without the facade of his image, style, and showmanship, the music does NOT HOLD UP.

-The Weeknd, who was supposed to perform a duet with Lauryn Hill, had to instead do a very slow and dull rendition of Feel My Face, slow and dull ON PURPOSE because otherwise the stupid ballad he sung right afterwards would have seemed even more boring and turgid and deflating. Fuck Lauyryn Hill too. Her music sucks and the Fugees suck.

-The "tribute" to Lionel Richie started off great and sank into massive suck, kind of like Lionel Richie's career....

Things I found funny

-Drunk ass Selena Gomez, drunk AF before the show even began, looked a hot mess next to T Swift, and introduced the Weekend horribly.

-The camera angles on Taylor Swift, used to hide the fact that she is a terrible live performer, cannot dance, and has the gangly uncoordinated limbs of a statuesque lesbian basketball player.

-The geriatric "Hollywood Vampires", who performed a boring ass song of their own, then jumped right into Ace of Spades and only played like 1/3 of it, leaving out the most iconic Lemmy line, "I know I'm going to lose / Cuz gambling's for fools / but that's the way I like it baby / I don;t want to live forever." Pathetic. So much pyro and FAKE pyro on screens behind them....trying to hide their old-folks home postures

-My wife asking me if the singer for Alabama Shakes is encephalitic.

This I did Like

-I have heard the Alabama Shakes perform Dont wanna fight no more before, and I always dig it.

-Chris Stapleton played a great tune and made me wish they played country music like that on the radio, instead of that horrendous shit that Carrie Underwood and her husband play.

-I am not a fan of a cappela anything, but I enjoyed the simple tribute by Pentatonix and Stevie Wonder, done at the last second, and they showed that a good song carried itself, especially if you have a musician as talented as Mr. Wonder doing it justice.

all in all it was a goddamn nightmare.....

noisereductions 02.16.2016 11:19 AM

now that's the Rob I know.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.16.2016 11:20 AM

My homegirl said Gaga was a personification of a bad coke binge.. i said more like an incarnation of that sticky yellow hood cavie!

Rob Instigator 02.16.2016 11:33 AM

Gaga's whole Bowie schtik was hurried, disjointed, and thematically horrible, and if you paid attention to the "commercials" you saw that Intel and Gaga have a tie-in where you can watch a "documentary" of the process to making this horrendous David Bowie tribute. That commercial and the images in it were better than the performance.

Rob Instigator 02.16.2016 11:37 AM

More Grammy shit I hated

- LL Cool J and the grammy producers insisting on introducing each new performer as "about to create a grammy moment" and introducing the whole show with endless hyperbole such as "the world's musical heroes are gathered here tonight". Fucking loser fuck. Go back to goddamn NCIS LOs Angeles....

-Three and a half hours and they gave away 6 awards.

-Having those two douchbags get up and rant for 5 minutes about how streaming sites are hurting musicians and that musicians need to make a living irritated me, and then they just jumped right in to the dead-musicians/music biz people tribute

louder 02.16.2016 11:49 AM

Now that my hype has died down a bit, I think Kendrick's previous performances (of Untitled 1 and 2) were better than the Grammys one (Untitled 3).

Rob Instigator 02.16.2016 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
now that's the Rob I know.

the Grammy's barely even approaches the world of hard trap beats I have been existing in thanks to this thread....

Severian 02.16.2016 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
More Grammy shit I hated

- LL Cool J and the grammy producers insisting on introducing each new performer as "about to create a grammy moment" and introducing the whole show with endless hyperbole such as "the world's musical heroes are gathered here tonight". Fucking loser fuck. Go back to goddamn NCIS LOs Angeles....

-Three and a half hours and they gave away 6 awards.

-Having those two douchbags get up and rant for 5 minutes about how streaming sites are hurting musicians and that musicians need to make a living irritated me, and then they just jumped right in to the dead-musicians/music biz people tribute

Why the hell did you sit there and subject yourself to this for three and a half fucking hours man? What the hell? I haven't actually watched the Grammys since I was boy, and was all, "oh please let NIN win another best alternative rock performance Grammy! Oh please let them beat Tori Amos!"

Actually probably earlier than that. I'd rather watch Friends for fuck's sake. Friends!!

Severian 02.16.2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

the Grammy's barely even approaches the world of hard trap beats I have been existing in thanks to this thread....

Hell yeah, bro.

Hey man... Do you think you're ready for another book recommendation from your boy me?
I have a title in mind. I think I may have mentioned it in passing before, but it's dark ass existential science-fantasy/horror that read like Dickens, so right up your alley. It's also notoriously difficult, and I know you live for "difficult" reading.
I really hope you take me up on this.

Rob Instigator 02.16.2016 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Why the hell did you sit there and subject yourself to this for three and a half fucking hours man? What the hell? I haven't actually watched the Grammys since I was boy, and was all, "oh please let NIN win another best alternative rock performance Grammy! Oh please let them beat Tori Amos!"

Actually probably earlier than that. I'd rather watch Friends for fuck's sake. Friends!!

Friends!! hahaha! I think I was too lit on Colorado loud to change the channel...

it was brutal though.....

Rob Instigator 02.16.2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Hell yeah, bro.

Hey man... Do you think you're ready for another book recommendation from your boy me?
I have a title in mind. I think I may have mentioned it in passing before, but it's dark ass existential science-fantasy/horror that read like Dickens, so right up your alley. It's also notoriously difficult, and I know you live for "difficult" reading.
I really hope you take me up on this.

I got Shadow & Claw, the first half of the Book of the New Sun tetralogy... main character is named Severian.......

Severian 02.16.2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

I got Shadow & Claw, the first half of the Book of the New Sun tetralogy... main character is named Severian.......

You do listen!!!!

Read that shit my friend. You'll thank me. If it feels like it doesn't make sense from time to time, you're doing everything right. Just keep moving.

Can't wait to hear what you think. If you finish it you will be only the second person I've ever known to do so.

Rob Instigator 02.16.2016 04:51 PM

that sounds daunting..... ;)

Severian 02.16.2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

that sounds daunting..... ;)

Well, ok... So I went balls out on the book, changed my life. Recommended the Book of the New Sun to every avid reader I knew. Especially folks that have an interest in psychology, philosophy, theology and dark ass shit. I managed to spark the interest of many people, but nobody except for my girlfriend actually finished the BOtNS, and not even she read the coda fifth book that came out like 20 years later, nor did she read the overlapping series (Book of the Long Sun, Book of the Short Sun). But just by reading Shadow of the Torturer - Citadel of the Autarch, she made it three and half novels farther than a former professor of mine who taught classes on Campbell and Jung, and had two doctorates.

Not saying it's only for smart people, because if that were the case, she would have made it through. But it's not for pussy ass casual readers. That's for damn sure. You've got to have the brain for navigating prose that doesn't give you the luxury of setting up everything for you. You kind of just have to follow the story as it unfolds, and not get discouraged when you run into things that don't add up (one person I gave it to- a hardcore Lovecraft fan- abandoned it after 30 pages and said it was "just fantasy" ... All I'll say is that he couldn't have been more wrong. He wanted more hard-fi shit, or something more epic, and he would have been blown away if he hadn't pussed out.)

Reading it is like solving a mystery, really. But the main character is so well constructed that he burrows down into your soul. He's the Holden Caulfield of dark theological science fiction. Also, he's a professional torturer who has a perfect and limitless memory! As long as you're able to let your imagination fill in a lot of blanks, and your comfortable with not knowing what time, place, setting, or environment the characters you're reading about are actually in, then it's a goddamn blast. Witty and horrifying and ingenius.

NPR ranked it as the #4 greatest sci-fi/fantasy book of all time several years ago. Oddly, it's prequel/sequel Book of the Long Sun took the #1 spot. This shit beat Tolkien, Lewis, Lovecraft, Bradbury... Gene Wolfe is one of the most underrated American authors in history.

Anyway .... anyone listen to the new Knxwledge album yet?

Severian 02.16.2016 05:25 PM

Man I need to check myself more often. This isn't an appropriate thread for treatises on literary science fiction. I should probably delete that, but I am desperate for someone to talk to about the book; so desperate that ima go head and leave that ^ shit there on the off chance that someone reads it and gets interested. I've given this book to so many people, and my girlfriend is sick of talking about it with me, the poor dear.

... Anyway, I really trust your literary instincts so I think pushing it on you is a pretty good move. Thank you for picking up the first volume of the tetralogy. F thanks for reading AREA X too, by the way.

Maybe you should recommend something to me. If you read ... New Sun, I'll read *anything* you ask me to.

Rob Instigator 02.16.2016 05:32 PM

let me see what happens...... ha!

Severian 02.16.2016 05:47 PM

You know what's really weird? Even though Future has been the object of a great deal of smack talking on my part, and I've said several times that he's gone to shit since Honest (except for those hot tapes), I out DS2 on the other day and it didn't eat nearly as much shit as I thought it did.

Now I'm playing Evol just to give myself a breather from Pablo, and ... you know, there's plenty of crap on here, but there's some fire too. "Lie to Me" is a legitimately good song. And "Seven rings" is just dumb fat beat fun. I don't hate it! I REALY wish he'd give actual rapping a shot for once, but whatever.

"Photo copied" has a really good sample, reminds me a bit of Timbaland.

Of course all of it is redundant as hell. Makes me thankful for that everything-and-the-kitchen-sink quality that TLOP has, because if you get sick of one Future song, there's no real skipping forward to something different. Sick of a song means sick of the album and probably sick of Future for a while.

But this is WAY better than Wiz's new album. Which is an absolute stinker and actually makes me a little sad.