Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best Shoegazing Band? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1003)

RockerNino 04.16.2006 10:24 PM

Best Shoegazing Band?

Besides my bloody valentine, what are ur favorite showgaze bands and why? i think after MBV, my favs are slowdive and ride, but i havent explored much outside besides them. anything i should check out?

Everyneurotic 04.16.2006 10:27 PM

slayer

when i saw them live, they were sometimes staring at their shoes

that's what shoegazer means, right?

RockerNino 04.16.2006 10:28 PM

oh yea, of course.

atsonicpark 04.17.2006 01:52 AM

Swirlies (who have shoegazer tendencies) and Slowdive.

RockerNino 04.17.2006 01:56 AM

oh man. totally forgot about the swirlies. i love blonder tongue audio baton.

Sn@ke 04.17.2006 03:38 AM

"Then there was the whole “shoegazing” scene that we weren’t really into. We had that term tagged to us, and it seemed slightly derogatory. It was partly because a lot of the people in those bands used to go see us when they were younger, then they all formed bands, and they were openly into us. But they all kinda had their own thing going, but what they all had in common was chorus and flanger pedals. That wasn’t what we were doing. It was literally that approach to music that made me do what I was doing. I couldn’t stand that you could hear the pattern of the effect. So instead of being psychedelic, it was the opposite. It was something that your mind immediately recognizes, and ignores. So it was weird being linked to something that was in many ways the exact opposite of what we were about."

Kevin Shields

Soundtrax 04.17.2006 05:14 AM

at the amusement park... its a great neo-shoegazing band, anyone into them?

SonikJesus 04.17.2006 02:46 PM

I was going to say Swirlies too.

doctor dan 04.17.2006 04:05 PM

at the amusement park? do you mean amusement parks on fire?

if yes then i most definetely am into them. theyre from my hometown of nottingham, and theyve helped completely rejuvinate nottinghams local scene. cant wait to hear their new album, its recorded at sigur ros' studio in iceland apparently...

gonna see them for like the 4th time at the dot to dot festival in may...

The 97th Hammer 04.17.2006 05:55 PM

It seems like every shoegazer tagged band has an argument going against them for their not being so.

Bertrand 04.18.2006 02:06 AM

I liked the first Telescopes album (with the Perfect Needle), before they signed to Creation to sound like Chapterhouse & others

sonicl 04.18.2006 03:10 AM

Loop, by a long long way.

SolidGoldHell 04.18.2006 03:12 AM

JAMC plus the Swirlies......

_slavo_ 04.18.2006 08:47 AM

Slowdive
Pale Saints
Cranes (not really shoegazer after all)
Curve
Lovesliescrushing

Onani Nic 04.18.2006 08:50 AM

When you think about Isis are sort of shoe-gazie

Everyneurotic 04.18.2006 09:53 AM

have some fucking sense of humor!!!!!!

genres suck!!!!

darthblav 04.18.2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
When you think about Isis are sort of shoe-gazie

i put isis in the same sorting as mogwai, EITS, pelican, jesu, but yeah i think they are a modernized shoegaze band in a way. kind of like sigur ros.

my shoegaze elite would definitely be:
slowdive
swervedriver
pale saints
the verve
lush
catherine wheel
jatmc

Soundtrax 04.18.2006 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctor dan
at the amusement park? do you mean amusement parks on fire?

if yes then i most definetely am into them. theyre from my hometown of nottingham, and theyve helped completely rejuvinate nottinghams local scene. cant wait to hear their new album, its recorded at sigur ros' studio in iceland apparently...

gonna see them for like the 4th time at the dot to dot festival in may...

haha, yeah, amusement parks on fire lol :D i dont know what i did, i apparently mixed up names of "at the drive in" and "amusement parks on fire" LOL... i just cant believe what i wrote :D its like: "so you like sonic blink182 ? :D

dirty bunny 04.18.2006 05:55 PM

I'm not sure if Swervedriver actually count, but they're SO awesome why not. I also think Ride are wonderful, at least their first album. Another great album is The Buried Life by Medicine.

hey alex 04.19.2006 12:16 AM

hey I'd like to thank you all for these. I've always liked the sound of loveless, despite only hearing it like twice. I've been wanting to check out some shoegaze so this is helpful.
Also I've heard a few amuesment park on fire songs and thought they were cool.