Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40798)

Severian 07.02.2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Dark season 3. Great wrap-up to a fantastic show.

Never watched a moment of this but I’ve enjoyed the Ben Frost score

Peterpuff 07.02.2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Never watched a moment of this but I’ve enjoyed the Ben Frost score

I am not familiar with his work, but certainly going to check more out, thanks! That was one of the many wonderful creative aspects of this show. His soundtrack was beautifully haunting and perfectly helped set the tone of the show.

Severian 07.03.2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
I am not familiar with his work, but certainly going to check more out, thanks! That was one of the many wonderful creative aspects of this show. His soundtrack was beautifully haunting and perfectly helped set the tone of the show.

Pretty talented composer and ambient-noise tinkerer. By The Throat and AURORA are both amazing albums. Also he’s collaborated with Swans and others. Cool dude.

Severian 07.03.2020 08:28 AM

Also I’ve been watching this a bit. Fucking super weird and hilarious and there’s lots of great music (and a Kim Gordon appearance!)

tw2113 07.03.2020 03:24 PM

Finally started up season 2 of Northern Exposure this week, which includes the episode that produced this lovely shot

yes I'm purposely bringing back more Janine Turner. :D

_tunic_ 07.04.2020 06:15 AM

Hurray!!!! The F1 Racing competition has started again!! Qualification is this afternoon (in one hour), first race is tomorrow :p

_tunic_ 07.08.2020 11:04 AM

I started watching Absolutely Fabulous yesterday :)
still 4 and a half seasons to go!

elix it 07.08.2020 12:05 PM

Started rewatching Malcolm in the Middle and man what a great show. How the fuck did Jane Kaczmarek never win an Emmy? Shameful

!@#$%! 07.08.2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elix it
Started rewatching Malcolm in the Middle and man what a great show. How the fuck did Jane Kaczmarek never win an Emmy? Shameful

you sure she didn’t?

...oh yeah she didn’t!

a fucking shame. she was fantastic in it.

LifeDistortion 07.08.2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elix it

Life is Unfair.

Rob Instigator 07.08.2020 01:37 PM

the academy is biased against lazy eyes.

tw2113 07.09.2020 12:19 AM

Forgot to state, that i also finished Northern Exposure Season 2. I'll be damned if this show doesn't make me long for small town life...even if i literally grew up in that.

_tunic_ 07.16.2020 05:33 PM

This is a series based on true events about a widespread corruption scandal in Brazil. It's a bit too dramatized perhaps, but a very interesting story nonetheless. Makes it also more understandable why Bolsonaro is such a douche

Severian 07.20.2020 07:41 AM

Boardwalk Empire, finally. Pretty good.

!@#$%! 07.20.2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Boardwalk Empire, finally. Pretty good.

fuck yeah

LifeDistortion 07.20.2020 02:58 PM

I've started watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I'm enjoying it. I do like a good period piece.

!@#$%! 07.20.2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I've started watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I'm enjoying it. I do like a good period piece.

she’s fucking great

Antagon 07.21.2020 04:07 PM

I remember starting to watch this over a decade ago after someone on myspace (that's how you can tell it was a decade ago) had recommended it to me. For some reason I stopped watching after episode 6 or so, intending to pick it up again. Alas, it didn't happen until now.

Generally really well made, but there are some things in it that absolutely wouldn't fly today (and rightfully so). Very rough around the edges, but the core writing is quite engaging, as are its characters. I have some other minor gripes like the multitude of deus ex machina solutions that seem to save the day quite often, but a really enjoyable watch nonetheless.

Severian 07.21.2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
fuck yeah

Just finished season 2, holy Christ what a gut punch!

I can’t help but feel that Steve Buscemi - much as I like him and always have - doesn’t *quite* fit the role. I have trouble seeing him as a boss type. I feel like someone else might have been a better fit. Someone with just a bit more gravitas. I can only think of Gabriel Byrne, though, and he’s too Irish to make it work (don’t believe he’s ever tried to lose the Irish brogue, but could be wrong).

Great show, though. Great cast full of excellent actors who went on to do other excellent things.

Great period piece detail, too. If you like it, check out the new Perry Mason show on HBO. It’s ASTONISHINGLY beautiful.
(I know, I know — Perry Mason was our grandparents’ scene, but Matthew Rhys from The Americans does a great job and the show is paced in a very modern, gripping, powerful way, with great performances and cinematography.)

Severian 07.21.2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
she’s fucking great

Yep yep.

The guy who plays Lenny Bruce is extremely on point in that show.