Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

davenotdead 12.12.2007 01:54 AM

i just saw pirates 3...woopee

LifeDistortion 12.12.2007 02:31 AM

Thought this was a really good movie.

atari 2600 12.12.2007 10:02 AM

It's great. Probably the best film of the year. And probably Bale's best performance too. Although that says a lot, it still doesn't say as much as noting that it's not very often a war-inspired picture comes out and ranks among the very best ever made in the genre. And, of course, it's a true story to boot. Check out Herzog's 1997 documentary, Little Dieter Needs to Fly.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...2&postcount=70
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...6&postcount=20

Anyway, I usually refrain from posting in this thread and the "what are you listening to now?" thread because it would be too taxing to post every single time I see a movie or hear an album. For the sake of some participation, I watched The Parole Officer (2001) yesterday and it was okay with the silly Coogan providing some chuckles.

ALIEN ANAL 12.12.2007 10:14 AM

i just watched the never ending story 1 and 2 with my gf

god NES2 sucked balls so much, it was terrible and not needed
go get raped

nicfit 12.12.2007 10:34 AM

Detenuto in attesa di giudizio

^^^^

imdb link with the review that says it all.

auto-aim 12.12.2007 10:57 AM

only got around to seeing die hard 4 the other day... It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be and at least the action was top notch...

LOOK! A THREE HEADED MONKEY!

nicfit 12.12.2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auto-aim
only got around to seeing die hard 4 the other day... It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be and at least the action was top notch...

LOOK! A THREE HEADED MONKEY!

:D!

Rob Instigator 12.12.2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1rr0r dash

...i'd forgotten how awesome this was... i've watched it twice within the last couple of days....

I enjoyed everything except the musical performances on this. Most of those acts leave me bored shitless. Lots of action on the fast forward button.

Rob Instigator 12.12.2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1rr0r dash
why don't they make movies like these anymore?

they do make movies like this , just no one watches them.

Rob Instigator 12.12.2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
but seriously, people are afraid to ask big questions. la dolce vita is huge-- who would dare to do such things these days? we're already post-cynical... and according to no country for old men, the last cowboy is a sociopathic murderer.

I see people everywhere asking BIG QUESTIONS. th problem lies in that most people do not want to think let alone answer BIG QUESTIONS

blame those bastards.

lungfish 12.12.2007 04:25 PM

saw this last night at a screening in Chelsea.

a complete masterwork.
a "strong film", as I overheard a group of elderly say on my way out.
Daniel Day is something else. extremely powerful performance.

and that ending. what an ending..
i thought to myself, "now there's the PTA we know and love."
i was waiting for it and got it and it was the perfect ribbon to wrap around the present. a real fucking treat.
i don't know why but it reminded me of Kubrick, particularly The Shining.

and his direction here is astounding. every aspect of the film is very moving.
i think TWBB is Paul's magnum opus. easily.
it was so good it gave me a headache.

oh, and for what it's worth, this movie is far greater than No Country, in my not so humble opinion.
i hate that i'm even making the comparison since they're totally different and good in their own ways,
and the whole Oscar thing is irrelevant since the purpose of a movie isn't to have it win an Oscar, but to be a great movie, first and foremost.
but if i were to rate them solely on their cinematic merits,
i would easily say that TWBB affected me much more strongly and immediately.
i felt blessed to have seen it, to have experienced it.

and to have Daniel Day and PTA come out after the screening and talk about making it was the fucking cherry on top. a blessing.
it's been a while since i've seen an epic film that was of this caliber, that was this good.
it's a rarity in cinema nowadays for a movie to evoke the true art of storytelling and, more precisely, the motion picture. truly.
this is something else.

Rob Instigator 12.12.2007 04:30 PM

what is PTA?

nicfit 12.12.2007 04:33 PM

Paul Thomas Anderson.

Rob Instigator 12.12.2007 04:40 PM

thanks

nicfit 12.12.2007 04:42 PM

I wonder when all those nice movies will be released in theathers here in italy and how bad will they dub them :( :( :( .....

Norma J 12.12.2007 04:44 PM

Probably a Christmas movie. Man, I love Christmas movies.

davenotdead 12.12.2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lungfish

saw this last night at a screening in Chelsea.

a complete masterwork.
a "strong film", as I overheard a group of elderly say on my way out.
Daniel Day is something else. extremely powerful performance.

and that ending. what an ending..
i thought to myself, "now there's the PTA we know and love."
i was waiting for it and got it and it was the perfect ribbon to wrap around the present. a real fucking treat.
i don't know why but it reminded me of Kubrick, particularly The Shining.

and his direction here is astounding. every aspect of the film is very moving.
i think TWBB is Paul's magnum opus. easily.
it was so good it gave me a headache.

oh, and for what it's worth, this movie is far greater than No Country, in my not so humble opinion.
i hate that i'm even making the comparison since they're totally different and good in their own ways,
and the whole Oscar thing is irrevelant since the purpose of a movie isn't to have it win an Oscar, but to be a great movie, first and foremost.
but if i were to rate them solely on their cinematic merits,
i would easily say that TWBB affected me much more strongly and immediately. i felt blessed to have seen it, to have experienced it.
and to have Daniel Day and PTA come out after the screening and talk about making it was the fucking cherry on top. a blessing.
it's been a while since i've seen an epic film that was of this caliber. that was this good.
it's a rarity in cinema nowadays for a movie to evoke the true art of storytelling and, more precisely, the motion picture. truly.
this is something else.

i hate you...all you nyc people...arrrgggghhhh...i want to see this right now. also, thanks for keeping my expectations reasonably modest.

atsonicpark 12.12.2007 05:26 PM

eastern promises- 8/10
butthole surfers: blind eye sees all - 8/10
uzukamaki - 7/10
millenium princess - 9/10
kid from hell - 5/10
3 extremes - 7/10
a snake of june - 9/10
bell from hell - 7/10
i now pronounce you chuck and larry (uhhh.. my friend wanted me to watch it with him) - 3/10
the new august underground film - 0/10 [turned it off halfway through though there's no WAY it was going to get better; one of the only films I couldn't sit through, not because the content got to me, it was just HORRIBLE]
death proof - 0/10 (tried to rewatch this one, but it was still fucking terrible)
superbad - 8/10 (couldn't believe this was actually good, but I liked it!)
chinatown - 9/10
the demon - 8/10 [rewatched]
the burning moon - 7/10 [rewatched]
paprika - 9/10
gemini - 9/10
bullet ballet - 8/10
the goblin - 5/10
anguish - 8/10 [rewatched]
alien dead - 4/10 [rewatched]
true romance - 7/10 [rewatched]
monster squad - 8/10

LifeDistortion 12.13.2007 09:27 PM

So, I saw "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" today on telelvision. I had heard this film talked about on this message board but never really looked into what the film was. I'm a big fan of well made documetaries and this one was great. I think watching this movie the way I did, not knowing it was affliated in anyway with Sonic Youth, and not really knowing what the documentary was really all about is the best way to discover this film. It becomes that much more of a rewarding experiance. Such a heartbreaking and yet, ultimately fascinating individual and flim.

Norma J 12.14.2007 01:46 AM

^I was the same when I saw it at a film festival, which was just a run of films shown at a small cinema in town over a couple of days. I knew he was a musician but nothing else - never heard his music - nada. And I fell in love with his tunes. I'm also into documentaries and can watch something even if I'm not interested in the subject. I bought Deep Throat for $10 the other day - another top documentary.

I bought Scrooged off ebay and it arrived today, so I may very well watch that tonight. Classic.