Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   need advice..... delay pedal (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6563)

A Thousand Threads 10.01.2006 04:43 PM

need advice..... delay pedal

i want to buy a delay pedal and it has to be
- cheap
- not of too bad quality
- not very expensive
- of quite good quality

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cantankerous 10.01.2006 04:54 PM

well assuming you have an amp already if you have intensity and speed knobs on it you can fuck around with those and kind of emulate a delay sort of effect without having to buy a delay pedal.

A Thousand Threads 10.01.2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
well assuming you have an amp already if you have intensity and speed knobs on it you can fuck around with those and kind of emulate a delay sort of effect without having to buy a delay pedal.

uhmm?
what are you talking about?
do you mean built in effects?

CHOUT 10.01.2006 05:12 PM

Behringer and Arion make cheap delay pedals

http://www.behringer.com/DD100/index.cfm?lang=ENG
Arion's is an analog delay:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...dal?sku=150516

Danny Himself 10.01.2006 05:16 PM

Chout, you sexy asshole, get on MSN.

CHOUT 10.01.2006 05:25 PM

Ok ya crazy limey.

Glice 10.01.2006 06:51 PM

Behringer are a crock of shit. Nothing more constructive to offer, I'm afraid. But Behringer are generally considered both by me and most other musicians to be utter shite. Don't go there. Or go there, it's no skin off my nose.

terminal pharmacy 10.01.2006 07:15 PM

get a second hand boss

Onani Nic 10.01.2006 07:34 PM

I've got this bad boy and am really happy with it. Pretty much has everything i'd want (except maybe playign loops backwards). I usually use it with a microphone or contact mic for doing drone type stuff or can make cool loops. I also works with guitar or bass. I think it was $250 Australian, being by far the most expensive pedal I own.

I also have the Berhinger Digital Delay pedal. For $50(australian) it does alright. I used it on my bass last gig my band played and it sounded really good amongst all my other pedals,drum machine,feedback loops, distorted delayed vocal drone.

I don't know if I would trust it for something really progressive or structured though.

Cantankerous 10.01.2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
uhmm?
what are you talking about?
do you mean built in effects?

no. i mean exactly what i said. these are on one of my amps, which was made before they did built in effects.

youthoftomorrow 10.01.2006 08:42 PM

i have one of those Arion Stereo Delay pedals. $30 US. a decent purchase for the price. it can make yr tone pretty flat when you don't have it engaged, but it sounds nice when it's on.

Inhuman 10.01.2006 08:46 PM

I got a used gigadelay for a good price. Try and look around!

CHOUT 10.02.2006 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
no. i mean exactly what i said. these are on one of my amps, which was made before they did built in effects.

is that for tremolo or vibrato? some old fenders had one or the other. what amp is that? My friend was checking out an old Tremolux the other day and the trem sounded cool and choppy. i still wanna see your jassmaster.

CHOUT 10.02.2006 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
I got a used gigadelay for a good price. Try and look around!

got one too. it's more than I'll ever need for delay.

Cantankerous 10.02.2006 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
is that for tremolo or vibrato? some old fenders had one or the other. what amp is that? My friend was checking out an old Tremolux the other day and the trem sounded cool and choppy. i still wanna see your jassmaster.

i don't know what they're for but they can emulate delay pretty well particularly when used in conjunction. the only kind of pedal i ever use is a distortion pedal.
it's a princeton. i don't know exactly when it was manufactured but i assume some time in the 60s or 70s. still has the original tubes.

_slavo_ 10.02.2006 01:27 AM

Boss Digital Delay DD-5.
Not really cheap, but top notch quality.

A Thousand Threads 10.02.2006 05:38 AM

thank you.
everyone

kingcoffee 10.02.2006 02:00 PM

dude, just save yr money and save up for a Line 6 DL4. It's awesome. It has everything you could ever want in a delay pedal. It has everything. Or you could buy an Electro-Harmonix Memory Man. Not as good as the DL4 but still pretty sweet. Or you could spend a little less money and buy a Boss delay. Those are pretty good. I wouldn't buy a Behringer or Arion or a Digitech. Those are garbage pedals (Digitech isn't that bad, but it's not great). Low quality. Just save money and get a real good delay. Trust me, it'll be worth the wait.

Savage Clone 10.02.2006 02:04 PM

Cantankerous, tremolo and delay are so different to my ears that I do not see how you can make a case for one being a "sort-of-substitute" for the other. They are both among my favorite FX, but they are totally different to me.
Used E/H Memory Man pedals are the way to go, I think. Analog delays rule over digital ones in my experience.

kingcoffee 10.02.2006 02:07 PM

Yeah, tremolo and delay are nothing alike. Very, very different effects.