Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   leesongs: dealers choice (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=74382)

Mortte Jousimo 03.15.2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee is Free
I can speak briefly to this, having asked you all to participate in this little endeavor: I myself have many mixed feelings. On the one hand it seems the wave of the future, even if still in the growing pains stages. A massive library--great reference tool--of music. People tell me it spells the end of 'music ownership' as we know it---you know, record collections. That all that stuff will exist in the digital realm. Coming from an age when record collecting and collections was a noble endeavor, it rubs me a little bit. ebooks, same thing. I read 'em, would rather carry ebooks on tour than huge tomes (Keith Richards, I love ya but I'm thinking of you...), but I STILL WANT THE OBJECT for any that I love and value, and by same token still go out and buy hard-copy music LPs of stuff I love and want to keep close. At their best, in the heyday of albums, they are cheap, affordable objets d'art as well as containers for the music inside. Artifacts. Beautiful things to hold.

There's also the fact that one great thing about a record album (CD, etc) is all the information you get--credits/artwork/mysterious liner notes--that are all lost--thrown out--on Spotify (and iTunes etc etc). I love that part of the music--digging into the cryptic mentions and information included with an album, pouring over beautiful photos or strange drawings on the jackets. I don't really understand why these music services don't make all that stuff available---or maybe they do and I just don't know how to access it? We took great pleasure, when working on my album, in designing the art--especially the LP art/gatefold collage/liner notes etc. I'd be sorry to see all that stuff become a thing of the past...

On the other hand, if you read the music press, and want to find out what's happening (and don't want to fully rip off artists and illegally d/l stuff), but don't want to spend tons of $ on some records you might just listen to once, it's a well-spent $5/month.

Artists payments from these services are a major point of contention. I sort of assume these issues will be worked out as this sort of situation becomes normalized and established. This is all in the very early stages---after, what?, 100+ years of "owning recorded music", we've been downloading via such services for a mere blip of time... Growing pains...

Conflicted? Sure. Kicking and screaming into the digital age? Not really...

L

I agree fully. To me also album covers (and also other stuff that was specially in many vinyls in the sixties and seventies) are very important. But in the other hand the idea of non-material music in this very material world is great!

Alan ciccone 03.15.2012 05:02 PM

1. Saucer-like
2. Wish Fulfillment
3. Skip tracer
4. Rain King
5. What we know
6. Eric's trip
7. In the kingdom #19
8. Hey Joni
9. Pipeline/ kill time
10. Lee #2

RanaldoNecro 03.16.2012 02:44 PM

check out http://blog.mutewatch.com/2012/03/13...spotify-house/ house in austin.

dressedindreams 03.16.2012 10:00 PM

1. nyc ghosts and flowers
2. karen koltrane
3. skip tracer
4. karenology
5. hoarfrost
6. walkin blue
7. mote
8. hey joni
9. pipeline
10. lee #2

Pink Noise 03.18.2012 11:36 PM

01. RAIN KING
02. HEY JONI
03. KAREN REVISITED
04. SKIP TRACER
05. WISH FULFILLMENT

06. NYC GHOSTS & FLOWERS
07. MOTE
08. HOARFROST
09. GENETIC
10. WALKING BLUE

that's my top. and if yr reading this, come play some noise + new stuff down here Buenos Aires.

xx

Swan Jovi 03.19.2012 08:00 AM

A top 15 would have been easier, but here goes...

1. Hoarfrost
2. Skip Tacer
3. Genetic
4. Eric's Trip
5. My New House
6. Saucer-like
7. Wish Fulfillment
8. Hey Joni
9. Karen Revisited
10. Mote

Honorable mentions include Rain King, In the Kingdom 19, Pipeline, Karen Koltrane, & Paper Cup Exit.

Gonza 03.19.2012 10:16 AM

I'll be leaving the new album songs out of my list, just cause they're 'too new' to me. I mean, I know I loved Wish Fulfillment 18 years ago when I first heard it and I loved it all the way 'till now, that's what a great song means to me. So here goes my top ten list, no particular order:

Eric's trip
I dreamed I dream
Karen revisited
Mote
Paper cup exit
Rats
Saucer-like
Skip tracer
Walkin' blue
Wish fulfillment

nicfit 03.19.2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonza
I'll be leaving the new album songs out of my list, just cause they're 'too new' to me.

Good thing to point out, no songs from the new album in my list either, simply because I don't have it yet and I didn't listen to the stream....I bet one or two could make it into my top 10, despite the love for the "older" ones I got to know in years of listenings...

atari 2600 03.19.2012 01:42 PM

Pipeline/Kill Time
Rain King
Karen Koltrane
Mote
Genetic
Skip Tracer
Hoarfrost
Karen Revisited aka Karenology
Paper Cup Exit
What We Know

Lee is Free 03.19.2012 11:52 PM

LR Spotify List, poll results

Hey all--I think Matador is getting ready to tally up the results of this informal poll, and I just wanted to give a hearty thanks to you all who participated. Much appreciated... As far as I know, Matador is launching some kind of Spotify app on Thursday, and this list will be launched around the same time. Here's what I think is the 'final' list--let the arguements begin!:

LR Spotify List (in descending order):

1. Mote
2. Skip Tracer
3. NYC Ghosts & Flowers
4. Genetic
5. Hoarfrost
6. Wish Fulfillment
7. Pipeline / Kill Time
8. Eric's Trip
9. Hey Joni
10. Rain King

Pink Noise 03.20.2012 02:12 AM

Nice to see Genetic ranking 4th!

rappard 03.20.2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pink Noise
Nice to see Genetic ranking 4th!

Indeed - that is a fine fine fine list, proof that everyone on this board has impeccable taste. :D

TheDom 03.20.2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rappard
Indeed - that is a fine fine fine list, proof that everyone on this board has impeccable taste. :D

When picking Lee songs I don't think there would have been a bad list at all haha this board could have no taste at all & the list would have still been great.

rappard 03.20.2012 05:06 AM

Fair point, although I wouldn't take a list without Hoarfrost seriously.

Pelle 03.20.2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

ebooks, same thing. I read 'em, would rather carry ebooks on tour than huge tomes (Keith Richards, I love ya but I'm thinking of you...), but I STILL WANT THE OBJECT for any that I love and value, and by same token still go out and buy hard-copy music LPs of stuff I love and want to keep close. At their best, in the heyday of albums, they are cheap, affordable objets d'art as well as containers for the music inside. Artifacts. Beautiful things to hold.

I've never really managed to read an e-book. My eyes hurts after staring at a screen for too long and I want to do other stuff at the computer if I'm on it, it's hard to focus on just one thing (but that's just me I guess).
Physical books are the best, same with records.
But they work great digitally from time to time, I can't deny that!

EVOLghost 03.20.2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Hey all--I think Matador is getting ready to tally up the results of this informal poll, and I just wanted to give a hearty thanks to you all who participated. Much appreciated... As far as I know, Matador is launching some kind of Spotify app on Thursday, and this list will be launched around the same time. Here's what I think is the 'final' list--let the arguements begin!:

LR Spotify List (in descending order):

1. Mote
2. Skip Tracer
3. NYC Ghosts & Flowers
4. Genetic
5. Hoarfrost
6. Wish Fulfillment
7. Pipeline / Kill Time
8. Eric's Trip
9. Hey Joni
10. Rain King

Yeh, yer missing Karen Koltrane......you can switch it for Wish Fulfillment....

nicfit 03.20.2012 02:57 PM

VERY happy pipeline/kill time made it, very unhappy Karen Koltrane did not.
It's the song I "use" to expose people to sy music for the first time.
But yeah, hard to argue anyway, with such great source material it's almost impossible to go wrong. Haha. ( I laugh but I'm serious).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelle
I've never really managed to read an e-book. My eyes hurts after staring at a screen for too long and I want to do other stuff at the computer if I'm on it, it's hard to focus on just one thing (but that's just me I guess).
Physical books are the best, same with records.
But they work great digitally from time to time, I can't deny that!

ebook readers are not like normal monitors/screen, the good ones are waaaay more eyes-friendly.

EVOLghost 03.20.2012 05:21 PM

To be honest, I think wish fulfillment is my least liked lee song..

logicalharm 03.20.2012 07:51 PM

Neither Karen on there?

_tunic_ 03.24.2012 06:55 PM

The app is released!
http://www.matadorrecords.com/matabl.../three-wrongs/