Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 16: slint - spiderland (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18302)

atsonicpark 12.13.2007 04:26 PM

classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 16: slint - spiderland

SLINT "SPIDERLAND"
Touch and Go, 1991

1. Breadcrumb Trail
2. Nosferatu Man
3. Don, Aman
4. Washer
5. For Dinner
6. Good Morning Captain

This goes without saying, eh? Of course it's a classic, maybe I wanted to start these threads to highlight records that don't get enough attention.. but fuck it, this album gets plenty of attention, and it's still too good for me to go without speaking about it.... I had never heard ANYTHING like this when I first heard this.. the only reason I checked it out is because I bought "At Action Park" when I was 14 and someone on the internet described the song 'Idea of North' as Slint-like. So, I listened to Slint...

Some will say this album is way too overrated, but I digress.. never will you hear such a bleak, cold, minimal recording that, uh, actually rocks in parts. 6 perfect and completely different songs, united by some complex (but not over-the-top) rhythms, weird guitar playing with an emphasis on harmonics, spoken word vocals. What REALLY strikes me about this album, though, is the atmosphere in the recording. Blame it on a limited recording budget, a very competent (or incompetent) producer, or ... something else (the mental breakdowns?) .. but this recording has a dark atmosphere unlike any I've ever heard. How the fuck did they do that?

Begins perfect and ends perfect with nothing bad in the middle. I actually think "For Dinner" is my favorite song on the album, the way it rises out of the darkness and keeps falling apart. It seems to be filler, but it's placement of the album is perfect. And uh... "I'm sorry, and I miss you." For those who haven't heard this album (?!??!?), think Jandek making kinda mathy rock. There you go.

A classic.

king_buzzo 12.13.2007 04:44 PM

yeah. one of my favourite albums. just like you said it has a perfect beggining and end. the melodies and lyrics are genius not to mention the drumming; its just perfect.

Pax Americana 12.13.2007 09:18 PM

Yeah! This is an amazingly bleak, and excellent record. I've gotta be in the right kind of mood to listen to it, but once it's on I always end up lisetening to the whole damn thing. So distant and creepy sounding... Plus I love that cover picture too.

ZEROpumpkins 12.13.2007 09:19 PM

It is awesome, but a little inconsistant. Washer, Breadcrumb Trail and Good Morning Captain are excellent, excellent songs.

the ikara cult 12.13.2007 09:54 PM

I was on the last train back into London, and i had my old CD player with my (burned) copy of Spiderland and nothing else accesible. I had been writing a story for a couple of months, this story had many different purposes and facets but i had not been able to see what its end would be.
I sat on this train journey lookin at my refelction in the night, listening to this album, and i saw what i was to do. From this journey my story became crystallised, and over the coming weeks i knew what was going to happen.
Bangin'.

dressedindreams 12.14.2007 05:20 AM

The end of Good Morning, Captain is the greatest thing my ears have ever witnessed. Pure bliss.

ZEROpumpkins 12.14.2007 05:25 AM

I think everyone agrees with that.

SuperCreep 12.14.2007 07:04 AM

I have played this album about five times a week every week since I got it last February and I've yet to tire of it. There are very few albums that I can say that about. Spiderland has a massive amount of balls.

ZEROpumpkins 12.14.2007 07:09 AM

Like yo momma

pbradley 12.14.2007 07:20 AM

There are times when I love this album. But most of the time I'll usually listen to something else. Still classic, though.

Everyneurotic 12.14.2007 11:33 AM

i love this album a lot.

drrrtyboots 12.14.2007 11:48 PM

Classic indeed.

max 12.14.2007 11:59 PM

I was a bit disappointed with their performance in Chicago honestly. Probably not the best location with daylight and the whole setting...

_slavo_ 12.15.2007 05:20 AM

Spiderland fucking rocks.

PAULYBEE2656 12.15.2007 11:24 AM

ive said it before... essentail listening for anyone with ears!

king_buzzo 12.15.2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
I think everyone agrees with that.

hah yeah.

Everyneurotic 01.29.2008 01:59 PM

only 15 answers for spiderland?! i thought this one was going to be controversial.

batreleaser 01.29.2008 04:27 PM

spiderland and loveless are still the best alblums that have come out since theyve come out if you ask me. i think loveless slightly edges spiderland out but a tiny tiny tiny bit, but thats just because ive listened to it longer maybe.

sarramkrop 01.29.2008 08:22 PM

Bores me to death.

Norma J 01.29.2008 08:27 PM

Threadmaker: Yeah.

Although I don't understand some cult classics.