Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   let's discuss harmonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18816)

atsonicpark 01.10.2008 02:51 PM

let's discuss harmonics

For years, I've been fascinated by the sound of harmonics: artificial, natural, octave, pinch, whatever the fuck... but yeah... there's something just unbelievably and ridiculously mesmerizing about it. I know it'd be very limited, but one day I want to do an all harmonics band. I might actually do a song like that soon. So, yeah, let's discuss harmonics.

My favorite harmonic moments:
Cerberus Shoal - self-titled ... almost every riff is in harmonics
The Fall - Who Makes the Nazis? ... bass harmonics!
Slint - [lifetime achievement award]
A Minor Forest - [lifetime achievement award]
Sonic Youth - Bull in the Heather (which is just a masterpiece of a song, period, but the harmonics on it are amazing!!!)

and so on.

So, yeah, if anyone wants to post anything relevant about harmonics, be my guest. What is it about harmonics that is so unexplainably great?.... ..

Rob Instigator 01.10.2008 02:52 PM

I used to love playing the harmonics on the cello.

this, is not harmonics

Glice 01.10.2008 02:57 PM

Pythagoras will probably tell you why you love harmonics.

Rob Instigator 01.10.2008 02:58 PM

pythagoras was dope.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.10.2008 03:05 PM

When I was doing the Spectral Presence, I had a song that started out completely with harp harmonics on my guitar.

My favorite thing is to embellish a harmonic by pushing down rapidly behind the bridge to make this wild vibrato.

When Harpo plays the harp you'll see him go into these crazy harmonic improvisations that are really really impressive. I wish I could play guitar like he plays harp.

SYRFox 01.10.2008 03:15 PM

Sonic Youth - Shadow Of A Doubt
Slint - Breadcrumb Trail
Lee Ranaldo/William Hooker - Cloud Nine

And generally, the kind of harmonics Lee plays with screwdrived guitars (in circa 1983 lives especially), that kind of sounds (as in Giggles) I find wonderful

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.10.2008 03:33 PM

How about creating harmonics using alternate tunings? Pretty dope.

HECKLER SPRAY 01.10.2008 03:37 PM

Tuff Gnarl harmonics hypnotize me everytime I listen to this song ( I wonder if we can call this stempede "harmonics").

Rob Instigator 01.10.2008 03:44 PM

Harpo is genius.
I love at the end oc coco-nuts when they are having the big wedding dinner and everyone is giving speeches, everytime a speech starts Harpo makes this face that says "I am outta here cuz this speech SUCKS" and leaves the frame, then he comes back a little more drunk everytime....

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.10.2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
How about creating harmonics using alternate tunings? Pretty dope.

That's not why I create alternate tunings, but you're right it is pretty dope.

terminal pharmacy 01.10.2008 05:34 PM

guitar harmonics are good but they just don't compare to seeing a minimalist act like the necks that concentrate on room harmonics, just playing harmonics on an instrument is not that exciting to me, hearing a piece of music utilise the room it is being perfomred in and building new tones from the natural reverberation is far more interesting. for those who may have seen the necks live you should know what i'm talking about....

Rob Instigator 01.10.2008 05:37 PM

you're talking about NAP TIME

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.10.2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
guitar harmonics are good but they just don't compare to seeing a minimalist act like the necks that concentrate on room harmonics, just playing harmonics on an instrument is not that exciting to me, hearing a piece of music utilise the room it is being perfomred in and building new tones from the natural reverberation is far more interesting. for those who may have seen the necks live you should know what i'm talking about....

I haven't seen them, and unless yr talking about no neck, I don't know them either.

But I know what you are talking about.

terminal pharmacy 01.10.2008 05:50 PM

http://www.thenecks.com/pages/info.html

http://www.japanimprov.com/yotomo/disco/multiverse.html

atsonicpark 01.10.2008 05:51 PM

"I'm sitting in a room and what you hear is the sound of my voice...................."

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.10.2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
That's not why I create alternate tunings, but you're right it is pretty dope.

Yes they serve other purposes.

k-krack 01.10.2008 10:17 PM

Harmonics are fucking bang on.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.10.2008 10:49 PM

I'm totally jazzed about playing harmonics.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.10.2008 10:52 PM

What ever the oppisite of grinding my gears is then that's what harmonics are to me.

atsonicpark 06.02.2010 12:43 PM

*pling*