Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "I am the DJ, I am what I play..." (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8795)

gmku 12.08.2006 10:14 AM

"I am the DJ, I am what I play..."

I have a gig as a regular DJ starting in January on a local radio station. Unpaid but I get 3 hours every week, Thursday nights 9 to midnight, to play and say whatever I want. Whatever! My show completely, from bringing in the albums to tweaking the knobs, cueing up the tonearm, the CD player, et cetera. This will be so much fun.

It's a bit strange though, because, as a free station, the station doesn't have a phone number, so you don't get requests or hear from listeners. No way to even tell if anybody's listening. But it will be a blast anyway.

gmku 12.08.2006 10:17 AM

Before I start, maybe I could survey you all for suggestions for my opening night.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.08.2006 10:19 AM

no turntables involved???

boooo.

Inhuman 12.08.2006 10:20 AM

Make sure you inform the listener for what they're about to hear. My brother's radio show got a request for a Metallica song once, and he was playing Japanese Underground material, and my brother didn't know what to say to him that was polite, so he just said he didn't have any metallica stuff and that he'd play a song for him the next day. He never did.

gmku 12.08.2006 10:21 AM

Oh, there are turntables invovled. Definitely. All formats--CD, LP, tapes.

Inhuman 12.08.2006 10:22 AM

reel-to-reel? You can't go without.

gmku 12.08.2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
Make sure you inform the listener for what they're about to hear. My brother's radio show got a request for a Metallica song once, and he was playing Japanese Underground material, and my brother didn't know what to say to him that was polite, so he just said he didn't have any metallica stuff and that he'd play a song for him the next day. He never did.

Station doesn't take requests. This is entirely underground, unregulated, below the FCC radar, do the fuck what you want radio. I've heard some DJs read a playlist, others just come on to read the station call sign every 30 minutes or so, some get on the air and ramble drunkenly or abuse the listeners. It's just whatever you want to do. I thought about playing whole sides of albums, like they did in the early days of underground FM.

gmku 12.08.2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
reel-to-reel? You can't go without.

No, didn't see reel to reel. Just cassette.

gmku 12.08.2006 10:28 AM

Also think I might dig up old articles about the stuff I play. Say, play an Stones boot then read a relevant Rolling Stone or Cream magazine interview from the day. Maybe bring in local bands and play their stuff and interview them.

I got a milion ideas. The hard part will be leaving the house when it's 10 below and dark.

Submit your playlists, send me your ideas.

Maybe I'll play whatever mix tape ends up in my mail box. Glice?

Inhuman 12.08.2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Station doesn't take requests. This is entirely underground, unregulated, below the FCC radar, do the fuck what you want radio. I've heard some DJs read a playlist, others just come on to read the station call sign every 30 minutes or so, some get on the air and ramble drunkenly or abuse the listeners. It's just whatever you want to do. I thought about playing whole sides of albums, like they did in the early days of underground FM.

Well yeah yeah, whether you take requests or not, it's important to notify them about what the show is about. It helps them identify the type of music, and whether they'll like it or not. It's like graphics design. Don't you hate seeing products with no label being specific as to what they're meant for? You'd generally need a visual hierarchy in radio stations as well, so just let them know who you are and what you play more than anything else :)

gmku 12.08.2006 10:38 AM

I'm not sure I want box myself in like that, man. I'm more freeform, dig? We're gonna be spontaneous and just play whatever vibe grabs us in the moment, and my listeners will either hop on and surf with me or wipe out in the beach sand of mediocrity.

Inhuman 12.08.2006 10:42 AM

Oh that sounds cool. I love shows like that! My brother set a differnet theme for each of his shows, so it was similar to having different stuff all the time, but following a specific genre, location, or age group each show. I guess it's just the way I'm used to listening to it, I don't listen to radio other than his show, because I hate their promotions.

gmku 12.08.2006 10:48 AM

This is completely commercial free. I'm excited as hell about this.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.08.2006 10:55 AM

this reminds me of the time when captain murphy setup a pirate radio at SEALAB2021

gmku 12.08.2006 11:03 AM

yeah. I love the DIY aspect.

gmku 12.08.2006 11:07 AM

I'm going to dedicate the opening of my first show to Glice and play Bowie's DJ song.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.08.2006 11:14 AM

glice and gmku sittin in a tree

gmku 12.08.2006 11:19 AM

KISS STNNNG. Love those bands, though I have no KISS. Oh, man, I need to buy some more music before my big debut!

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.08.2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
KISS STNNNG. Love those bands, though I have no KISS. Oh, man, I need to buy some more music before my big debut!