Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steve on his favorite Song from Bleach and more (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=123727)

Moshe 09.27.2021 08:13 AM

Steve on his favorite Song from Bleach and more

https://omny.fm/shows/remembering-ku...-f#description

!@#$%! 09.27.2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

hah! that was a fun listen. thanks moshe!

it was great (but not a surprise to me) to hear of steve's appreciation for john bonham.

and now i want to listen to his radio show. poked about the radio station website earlier a little bit...

Diesel 09.29.2021 09:11 AM

'Ep 2 - Steve Shelley, Drummer of Sonic Youth On His Favourite Song From Bleach'

'I don't even remember what songs are on Bleach' - Steve Shelley, Drummer of Sonik Yoof...

The Soup Nazi 09.30.2021 12:29 AM

So which is YOUR favorite song from Bleach, you sons (and daughters) of guns? Mine... Even though "About A Girl" is just perfect, the unimpeachable classic, I'm gonna vote for "School". No recess!

appleo 09.30.2021 09:59 PM

RE: Steve on his favorite song from Bleach and more

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
So which is YOUR favorite song from Bleach, you sons (and daughters) of guns? Mine... Even though "About A Girl" is just perfect, the unimpeachable classic, I'm gonna vote for "School". No recess!

On the record itself, I don't necessarily have one overarching favorite song.
I had a band that used to play "School" which was great fun, and just came out right without too much effort.
"About a Girl" of course is a classic, always reminded me of the Smithereens.
"Blew" has this very cool organic groove to it (I think Chad Channing never got enough credit for having such great feel).
Of course "Paper Cuts" aims to be heavier than Metallica AND the Melvins.
And "Negative Creep" is one of the most scorching, they totally channel their inner Mötörhead!
I think the band may hit their stride best on "Scoff", "Swap Meet", and "Mr. Moustache" - these three just so totally rock, and it really locks in for me.

So I really am loathe to pick one favorite from the record, they're all good for different reasons.

But when I saw them live at Maxwell's in April 1990, I distinctly recall that while they were good, the song they really gelled on and brought ME to nirvana with, was "Scoff" (and "Been a Son" was similarly great). That was the peak.

So I'm going to pick "Scoff" based on that experience.

Hope this helps! :-D

PS Steve's answer about Bleach was hilarious, BTW

RE: Steve on his favorite song from Bleach and more

Quote:

I had a band that used to play "School" which was great fun, and just came out right without too much effort.
"Blew" has this very cool organic groove to it (I think Chad Channing never got enough credit for having such great feel).
And "Negative Creep" is one of the most scorching, they totally channel their inner Mötörhead!
I think the band may hit their stride best on "Scoff", "Swap Meet", and "Mr. Moustache" - these three just so totally rock, and it really locks in for me.

So I really am loathe to pick one favorite from the record, they're all good for different reasons.

But when I saw them live at Maxwell's in April 1990, I distinctly recall that while they were good, the song they really gelled on and brought ME to nirvana with, was "Scoff" (and "Been a Son" was similarly great). That was the peak.

Quote:

Quote:

appleo 09.30.2021 10:04 PM

Apologies for the dupes! The site was not responding and finally when it loaded I was horrified to see multiple copies... and now it won't let me delete them. DOH!

appleo 09.30.2021 10:04 PM

Apologies for the dupes! The site was not responding and finally when it loaded I was horrified to see multiple copies... and now it won't let me delete them. DOH!

Diesel 10.01.2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appleo

In the end he chose Sliver, because that's the one with the Mudhoney drummer on it...

Diesel 10.01.2021 07:55 AM

Quote:

There was a thread on this subject here somewhere but I'll be foked if I can be arsed to navigate this broke-arse forum to find it.

School, Sifting, Negative Creep, Downer. Innit

The Soup Nazi 10.01.2021 09:04 AM

Duplicates and all, glad to have started a conversation after all this time. :)

appleo 10.01.2021 02:48 PM

I love "Sliver", but it's not from "Bleach", not even close. "Sliver" was recorded a year after and was released as the b-side to "Dive".

PS I remember hearing "Dive" on the PA at Maxwell's and thinking they kinda sold out, it sounded like Metallica! I like the song now, but back in '90 the lines were drawn. And even though Metallica weren't exactly hair metal, they were on the side of the room with the people who took guitar lessons and recorded in 48 track studios and their records sounded "produced". LoL.

appleo 10.01.2021 02:48 PM

I love "Sliver", but it's not from "Bleach", not even close. "Sliver" was recorded a year after and was released as the b-side to "Dive".

PS I remember hearing "Dive" on the PA at Maxwell's and thinking they kinda sold out, it sounded like Metallica! I like the song now, but back in '90 the lines were drawn. And even though Metallica weren't exactly hair metal, they were on the side of the room with the people who took guitar lessons and recorded in 48 track studios and their records sounded "produced". LoL.

Diesel 10.02.2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appleo

Dood, on Sliver: that's what my ellipsis was hinting at - Mr Shelley is up in the clouds.

Listening to Sifting and Negative Creep pre-night out and they foken rule all. Cońo !

SonikJesus 10.02.2021 07:30 PM

Negative Creep

The Soup Nazi 10.20.2021 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Negative Creep

"I had written a song, 'Nirvana,' about my big love for Nirvana's first album, Bleach, specifically for the song 'Negative Creep,' which had inspired me so much.

Kurt had later written her a note that said '…your song 'Nirvana' was totally flattering when I first heard it. I really like your new album, especially 'My Sister.''"

Juliana Hatfield

Toilet & Bowels 11.21.2021 04:49 AM

Sifting, Big Cheese, Paper Cuts. Maybe I'll listen to Bleach today

Toilet & Bowels 11.21.2021 04:49 AM

Sifting, Big Cheese, Paper Cuts. Maybe I'll listen to Bleach today