Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How/Why did Bob Bert leave the band? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1104)

DoubleNickels 04.20.2006 01:00 PM

How/Why did Bob Bert leave the band?

I don't have my copy of "Our Band Could Be Your Life" so I can't look it up. Anyone care to explain?

krastian 04.20.2006 02:05 PM

He wasn't into group masturbation.

Everyneurotic 04.20.2006 03:03 PM

BOB BERT LEFT SONIC YOU?!!! WHEN??!!!

i can't wait for their new album, i love the title: EVOL

CHOUT 04.20.2006 03:06 PM

He was originally booted cuz they thought he wasn't that great of a drummer. I don't remember why he was out the second time when Steve took over.

trance feeeedback 04.20.2006 03:11 PM

hmmm....I would like to know why he left too(even though I love steve way more!). I know it's wasn't a bitter split, because bob still stayed friends with them when he was in pussy galore, in fact pussy galore was the first western band to see the boredoms, and supposedly bob wrote a letter to SY telling them how awsome the boredoms were.

TheDom 04.20.2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
He was originally booted cuz they thought he wasn't that great of a drummer.

Yeah. In Our Band Could Be Your Life, it quotes Thurston saying his drumming wasn't "in the pocket".

The 2nd time, it says he just wanted to quit.

skipvacuum 04.20.2006 03:26 PM

actually...straight from bob bert's mouth...he quit cuz they kicked him out the first time...oddly enough he sated this in the "put blood in the music" doc..,but the version floating around torrent land omits it for some reason...i should dig my ol' vid out and see if can upload it somewhere...cuz it's funny

Pablitzen 04.20.2006 03:34 PM

wikipedia says:
Bob Bert quit the group because he was dissatisfied with the lack of financial success of SY

that sounds weird...

Everyneurotic 04.20.2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
Yeah. In Our Band Could Be Your Life, it quotes Thurston saying his drumming wasn't "in the pocket"...

first off, thurston didn't mean that "in the pocket" comment to be like "he's a bad drummer"; he was referring as how the band wanted a squarer-much more rock 4/4 beats drummer than someone with tendencies to do more abstract and tribal stuff with the drums (as heard on bad moon rising)

second of all, our band could be your life is not the bible

TheDom 04.20.2006 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
second of all, our band could be your life is not the bible

I never said it was the bible.. I was just quoting it hoping to answer the guy's question...

Everyneurotic 04.20.2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
I never said it was the bible.. I was just quoting it hoping to answer the guy's question...

it wasn't directed at you, man

i just don't trust that book that much

HaydenAsche 04.20.2006 04:11 PM

Bob Bert is probably regretting leaving now that Sonic Youth is all over MTV and the radio and shit.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 04.20.2006 04:16 PM

I wish they were all over MTV and that William Burroughs books were at every newstand and that there was no war and that I was press secretary for a smart and just president....

HaydenAsche 04.20.2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
I wish they were all over MTV and that William Burroughs books were at every newstand and that there was no war and that I was press secretary for a smart and just president....

I dunno where you live but SY is pretty much the hot new shit here. MCR and SY are playing a show together and Thurston started wearing all black and making this really annoying screaming noise. Steve got a double-bass kick.

They are hot shit.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 04.20.2006 04:22 PM

Oh gosh My Chem Romance has gotten big enough to have initials? Geez.
Um yeah. I hear that SY's arena tour will consist of David Bowie opening each show with a tap dance number and that most politicians were quoting from Daydream Nation on CSPAN today....

sOnIc wOrLd BaBE

terminal pharmacy 04.20.2006 05:36 PM

bob bert was originally asked to leave before the recording of confusion which jim sclavunos (now a bad seed) steeped in and played on most of the album. js didn't want to tour so bob was asked back. they recorded badmoon and toured and bob left after the tour. then the only drummer capable of taking sonic youth where they needed to be was asked to join and we all know who that is.

golden child 04.20.2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
bob bert was originally asked to leave before the recording of confusion which jim sclavunos (now a bad seed) steeped in and played on most of the album. js didn't want to tour so bob was asked back. they recorded badmoon and toured and bob left after the tour. then the only drummer capable of taking sonic youth where they needed to be was asked to join and we all know who that is.

no, who?

Neongod 04.20.2006 06:40 PM

OT

Could SY have found a better drummer than Steve? Seriously...he compliments the group completely. I'm no drummer but I can play a basic 4/4 beat...yet to fill in the noise segments of SY songs, I think Steve is amazing. Not a super-technical drummer, but he knows what fits. And now that the Youth have ventured into pop-rock territory, he's even more fitting.

guston 04.20.2006 09:21 PM

Bob Bert quit after Bad Moon because SY was not making enough money. He needed some "real world cash". Perhaps he regrets quitting, who knows. All I know is that Steve Shelley is a much better drummer and I am all the happier for Bert leaving.

schizophrenicroom 04.20.2006 09:40 PM

bob wasn't up for anal.