Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NYC Ghosts & Flowers Does Not Suck! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17647)

deathbombarc 11.29.2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
those sages at Pitchfork gave it one star,

i cant seem to find it in the pitchfork archive. is it there, or are they not brave enough to maintain that oppinion?

personally, i think this is one of the best of SY's entire discography.

adjectives-ex 11.30.2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathbombarc
i cant seem to find it in the pitchfork archive. is it there, or are they not brave enough to maintain that oppinion?

personally, i think this is one of the best of SY's entire discography.

i don't remember Pitchfork giving it that score. i do remember somebody giving it a 0.0 out of five, though... somebody posted it on the old board as i recall.

s.

Torn Curtain 11.30.2007 06:22 AM

google is your friend:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...ghosts-flowers

The critic is an asshole, but there are some valid points though: I do think that the production is extremely cold, which up to now prevents me from getting into the record.

ZEROpumpkins 11.30.2007 06:32 AM

I always thought that on some songs it sounded like the strings were being very slightly muted with a rubber stick.

Torn Curtain 11.30.2007 06:32 AM

I'll add there are great guitar parts in the record though, and the shows from that period rank among their best.

ZEROpumpkins 11.30.2007 06:34 AM

Holy crap your name is Torn Curtain, not Tom Curtain. Dude, how slow am I?

uhler 11.30.2007 07:00 AM

i was at a book store and picked up a rolling stone record review book and they gave nyc ghosts & flowers a half of a star or something.

GrungeMonkey 12.01.2007 07:27 AM

It definately more of fan's album. I can't imagine that many people would get into SY through this record.
But for pitchfork to give it 0 out of 5 was ridiculous really, especially as this album at the very least is more interesting than most stuff that came out in 2000.

Dead-Air 10.18.2008 02:13 AM

Funny, I just saw that this thread is linked from the album's Wikipedia page as proof that Sonic Youth fans generally really lie NYC G&F.

pbradley 10.18.2008 03:49 AM

It did take me a while to get around to listening to NYC G&F but I do like it a lot. More so than, say, Dirty.

Plus we have that last.fm group for it.

al shabbray 10.18.2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avantgarde1
so i kinda get the hint that alot of people don't really like that album. i gotta say it's one of my favorites. to be honest i'm not really crazy about much stuff before EVOL, cept for the self titled record. i'm probably gonna get shit for that statement, but imma stand by it. so what do you kind sir's & ma'am's think?

its one of my favourite albums out of my favourite SY period, which started with washing machine and ended with murray street. its really great

SonicBebs 10.18.2008 08:48 AM

i have daily battles with myself over which album i prefer out of A thousand leaves, nycgaf, washing machine and murray street.

RdTv 10.18.2008 09:21 AM

Like some others, when I first sat and listen to it I immediately thought the only great song was the self-titled track. I thought the rest of the album sucked. The more I listened to it the more it grew on me. I don't hold it as my favorite Sy geffen release or anything, its just a flashpoint for their career. In my mind it could be easily swapped for Rather Ripped. I mean the youth had their gear stolen and went into the studio trying to recapture those old sounds and create new ones, cool I'm there. But in many ways when I listen to RR I feel its the album that should have come out in NYCGF place, a totally straight-up stripped down record. NYCGF has a very avant-futuristic feel to it and I can't recall another main album that features horns on it.

So yeah, it doesn't suck.

Alexander 10.18.2008 11:21 AM

I have always held the album in high esteem in spite of what critics and even supposed fans say.

PAULYBEE2656 10.18.2008 11:23 AM

critics, sy fans.. fuck em all. what would they know about diddley squant!

al shabbray 10.18.2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
i have daily battles with myself over which album i prefer out of A thousand leaves, nycgaf, washing machine and murray street.

I agree
but these 4 albums are for me some of the most exciting music Ive ever listened to

baby bulldog 10.19.2008 09:40 AM

Great record.And the tour they did for it was spectacular.

gohleekwang 10.19.2008 10:45 AM

This is their last good album to date.

James Blonde 10.19.2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gohleekwang
This is their last good album to date.

James Blonde agrees.

al shabbray 10.19.2008 11:24 AM

nope. murray street was their last good album