Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   i cant sleep (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7535)

king_buzzo 10.28.2006 03:38 AM

i cant sleep

i dont have curtains in my room.

static-harmony 10.28.2006 06:47 AM

Oh perverts can look into your room.

king_buzzo 10.28.2006 07:38 AM

no im on the 5th floor

against_the_grain 10.28.2006 10:19 AM

Icarus was a peeping tom.....look out !!!

ploesj 10.28.2006 11:11 AM

i do have curtains and i still can't sleep.

Alex's Trip 10.28.2006 11:16 AM

I have blinds not curtains.

Inhuman 01.13.2007 01:04 AM

I hate having to open and close the curtains every day. I have curtains and I can't sleep, and the garage light shines through them.

Malachi_Constant 01.13.2007 01:08 AM

Curtains are the devil's work. The fruit of the tree of knowledge. Be grateful.

Inhuman 01.13.2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malachi_Constant
Curtains are the devil's work. The fruit of the tree of knowledge. Be grateful.

I'm glad that eve was such a bitch and ate up. Otherwise we wouldn't know what we're missing. Bad things will make good things seem better.

Malachi_Constant 01.13.2007 01:16 AM

true. Besides, do ya think there'd be any art, otherwise? Would we miss it? Or would there even be any sort of point to living, in that case?

Inhuman 01.13.2007 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malachi_Constant
true. Besides, do ya think there'd be any art, otherwise? Would we miss it? Or would there even be any sort of point to living, in that case?

Exactly. Nothing would advance because there would be no need for advancement. We wouldn't need computers, jobs, etc. But then again, if there is no evil, what about the world being overpopulated? We definately would be by now, especially considering there would be no death.

I have this conversation with my friend who unlogistically claimed that he believed in Genesis and a God created world and that Revelations was merely symbolic. But WHAT determines what is and what is not symbolic in the bible? He wasn't able to answer this.

cuetzpalin 01.13.2007 05:56 AM

i can't sleep and no light or lamp is shining into my room

Al Cohol III 01.13.2007 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuetzpalin
i can't sleep and no light or lamp is shining into my room

hammer your head with a chair for five minutes.

cuetzpalin 01.13.2007 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Cohol III
hammer your head with a chair for five minutes.

i've already tried it but it didn't work:( :p

Malachi_Constant 01.13.2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
Exactly. Nothing would advance because there would be no need for advancement. We wouldn't need computers, jobs, etc. But then again, if there is no evil, what about the world being overpopulated? We definately would be by now, especially considering there would be no death.

I have this conversation with my friend who unlogistically claimed that he believed in Genesis and a God created world and that Revelations was merely symbolic. But WHAT determines what is and what is not symbolic in the bible? He wasn't able to answer this.

Actually, the way I've always understood it, "Evil" in that whole Adam and Eve allegory is meant to represent "advancement" (as you call it), or any and all knowledge outside one's faith in God or concerns directly related to the here and now. The apple is our capacity for abstract thought and reasoning. The classic double edged sword. The more we progress, the more fucked we are, yet the more we "elevate" ourselves above the animals.

Everything in the Bible, just as any work of world literature, is symbolic. The same force that caused Moses to climb a mountain, "talk" to "God", and scribble down those commandments, is, in theory, the same one that moved Walt Disney to connect three circles on a sheet of paper and give birth to a cartoon mouse/easily recognizable brand name. Carl Jung called it the collective subconscious, Joseph Campbell went one step further, boiling all world mythologies/folklores/religions/films & literature down to one basic formula, dubbing it the "monomyth".