Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lee+Raul: Light Years Out video (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=121599)

Lee is Free 01.13.2020 11:21 AM

Lee+Raul: Light Years Out video

https://youtu.be/iviNlmROZNM

Light Years Out: An experimental track incorporating both spoken word and singing, old cassette tapes and state-of-the-art digital machines. A rumination on the possibilites for love, loves and loving in our ever-expanding universe. Shot in São Paulo and New York City in late 2019 by Anna Bogaciovas and Fred Riedel. Analog image processing by Matthew Schlanger, utilizing an original Rutt/Etra Video Synthesizer. An homage to the early days of video art and analog processing, and in particular to the groundbreaking (and ongoing) work of the Experimental Television Center (Binghamton/Owego, NY).

“How does it sound? ...like Paul Simon meets Einsturzende Neubauten, if that helps.”
–Record Collector

greenlight 01.13.2020 12:37 PM

sounds amazing Lee. thanks for sharing. are you going to play them songs live somehow?

AlSonic 01.13.2020 12:45 PM

Thanks Lee.
Looking forward to seeing the live show at Milton Court London in April.

!@#$%! 01.13.2020 03:32 PM

this is great. loved the video effects!

greenlight 01.13.2020 04:58 PM

yes, video is amazing as well.

Genteel Death 01.13.2020 05:51 PM

Some frames on the video remind me of Ira Cohen's photos. Are you a fan Lee? Are you there Lee? There is a new publication about his photos by Fulgur Press which came out recently. The video reminded me I need to get that, when I have the moneyz.

Genteel Death 01.13.2020 06:05 PM

Wait!
''Published on the 50th anniversary of the Life magazine feature, and with several gatefolds, it includes more than 70 images from this intensely creative period, each digitally restored from the original negatives by Cohen’s friend and collaborator, Ira Landgarten. It also includes an interview with Cohen, excerpts from his poetry, critical writing from Allan Graubard and Ian MacFadyen and further reflections from Timothy Baum, Alice Farley and Thurston Moore''

_slavo_ 01.14.2020 03:07 AM

That sounds very refreshing. Excited to hear the record.

Rob Instigator 01.14.2020 09:43 AM

Thanks for sharing the work Lee!

NYCgaf16 01.14.2020 10:55 AM

Wait i'm new here. Is that the real Lee Ranaldo himself?

Great video btw really enjoyed that

!@#$%! 01.14.2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16

that’s not the real lee

;)

Screaming Skull 01.14.2020 02:45 PM

European tour dates in April...

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/sonic-y...off-collab-lp/

h8kurdt 01.14.2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Nah, it's Lee Majors

NYCgaf16 01.14.2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Nah, it's Lee Majors

Oh. Ok then

Lee is Free 01.14.2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that’s not the real lee

FUCK IF IT ISN'T DUDE

Lee is Free 01.14.2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Some frames on the video remind me of Ira Cohen's photos. Are you a fan Lee? Are you there Lee? There is a new publication about his photos by Fulgur Press which came out recently. The video reminded me I need to get that, when I have the moneyz.

WOW That's a compliment! Yes I'm a fan, and Ira was a friend. In fact I have a couple of his photos. For those who don't know his work - he did amazing photographs, often of rock musicians like Jimi Hendrix and Spirit, shot in reflection of silver mylar sheets so they have a warped and psychedelic effect. Amazing photos! Seek out his work and writing! I heard about the new publication but haven't seen it yet...

_slavo_ 01.15.2020 03:22 AM

Quote:

No that's actually Bruce Lee.

Jokes aside, that is indeed Lee Ranaldo. He comes around here and there. I also think Steve used to post here several times, correct me if I'm wrong.

Genteel Death 01.15.2020 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee is Free
WOW That's a compliment! Yes I'm a fan, and Ira was a friend. In fact I have a couple of his photos. For those who don't know his work - he did amazing photographs, often of rock musicians like Jimi Hendrix and Spirit, shot in reflection of silver mylar sheets so they have a warped and psychedelic effect. Amazing photos! Seek out his work and writing! I heard about the new publication but haven't seen it yet...

Yes, it was definitely a compliment. I thought you may be a fan. A few years ago I went to an exhibition of his photographs at the October Gallery in London and absolutely loved them. At that point I was only familiar with his writing and the movie The Invasion of Thunderbolt Pagoda. Definitely worth checking out his work, if you are not familiar with it already.

!@#$%! 01.15.2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee is Free
FUCK IF IT ISN'T DUDE

:D :D :D

Rob Instigator 01.15.2020 09:50 AM

HA!