Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What are pre-Pop Tatari Boredoms like? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1076)

i am the arm 04.19.2006 01:10 PM

What are pre-Pop Tatari Boredoms like?

I've been hunting around for Soul Discharge, Onanie Bomb and whatever else came before Pop Tatari... no luck so far. I hope these records are as shocking/extreme and hilarious as PT... Boredoms fucking rule!!

What's their old shit sound like? Really crappy production? Tons of screaming? Lemme know...

golden child 04.19.2006 01:13 PM

i dont really know the order of their records but vision creation newson is awesome

val-holla-ing 04.19.2006 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden child
i dont really know the order of their records but vision creation newson is awesome

this is very true. seadrum and the blahblahblah was really good too. i love yoshimi's voice.

pre-pop tatari boredoms? nutty!

Пятхъдесят Шест 04.19.2006 08:42 PM

Lots of screaming, but there are a few moments of 'traditional' pop music...eh, kind of.

HaydenAsche 04.19.2006 08:50 PM

Early Boredoms = Terribly Tribal and Obnoxious.

And I mean that in the best way possible.

krastian 04.20.2006 12:32 AM

I saw that as Pop-Tarti.

trance feeeedback 04.20.2006 09:26 AM

Soul discharge is a lot like pop tatari, but I think it is a little more structured. other stuff before soul discharge sounds like a really noisy hardcore punk band. yeah Onanie bomb has some pretty bad production at times.

Did you know that tatari is slang for masturbation, and Onanie is slang for female masturbation?

hey look it's Kim,Yoshimi, and Jim!

khchris(original) 04.20.2006 11:45 PM

Pop Tatari is absolutely NOTHING like Soul Discharge.

It was the first Boredoms I ever got(I still have the original pressing on Shimmy) and still my favorite of all the boredoms, although Vision Creation Sun is incredible, maybe almost equal.

Onani Nic 04.21.2006 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trance feeeedback
Soul discharge is a lot like pop tatari, but I think it is a little more structured. other stuff before soul discharge sounds like a really noisy hardcore punk band. yeah Onanie bomb has some pretty bad production at times.

Did you know that tatari is slang for masturbation, and Onanie is slang for female masturbation?

hey look it's Kim,Yoshimi, and Jim!

My bands name is Onani, it also means masturbate in Swedish and German. Its derived from Onan in the bible how spilt his seed on thy earth and God smitted him or something.

Chocolate Synthesizer is the only Boredoms album I own, and it is totally rad. Really Heavy Bass and Guitars, Tribal Drumming. Its a bit less fragmented than the albums before it. I think Chocolate Synthesizer is there 3rd album maybe.

Anyway I recommend it, it made my drunk friends who like bad music laugh.

amerikangod 04.21.2006 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khchris(original)
Pop Tatari is absolutely NOTHING like Soul Discharge.

I agree. I don't think the two albums are anything alike.

I too have the Shimmy Disc pressing (I found it used but in near-perfect condition on eBay last November.) The album plays better when not broken up into multiple tracks.

And I love the cover:

trance feeeedback 04.21.2006 09:24 AM

yeah, i have a burned copy of soul discharge, but a few week ago i found a vinyl copy of it on ebay so i bided on it and I was winning the whole time until literally the last minute some asshole stole it from me and won. Man! don't you hate when that happens?

Everyneurotic 04.21.2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trance feeeedback
yeah, i have a burned copy of soul discharge, but a few week ago i found a vinyl copy of it on ebay so i bided on it and I was winning the whole time until literally the last minute some asshole stole it from me and won. Man! don't you hate when that happens?

that's gotta hurt!!! i feel for you man!