Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Why did Pussy Galore hate Dischord? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19449)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.03.2008 12:35 AM

Why did Pussy Galore hate Dischord?

Was it the whole straight edge thing?

atsonicpark 02.03.2008 12:37 AM

Let's just blame it on faraquet...

uhler 02.03.2008 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Let's just blame it on faraquet...

great band. i saw them open for fugazi.

i actually have no idea why they hated dischord. i never really bothered to find out why either. i think they just thought it would be funny.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.03.2008 01:16 AM

Yeah I was just reading about them on wikipedia and it said that they publicly declared their hatred for Ian right before they moved to NY. Seemed like an odd thing to write on wikipedia without giving any explanation as to why.

Dead-Air 02.03.2008 01:31 AM

Spencer's bombast in JSBE is of a much tamer type than it was in Pussy Galore. In Pussy Galore he was trying very hard to come off as the ultimate asshole, and I think it was just an act as that's what a "cool post-punk" band was supposed to do at the time. When they played Seattle he said the same thing about Soundgarden and Mudhoney and dared them to show up and fight him. It was all hype B.S.

Given that Spencer later worked with Calvin Johnson, who's great friends with Ian, in Oly, I don't think he probably ever hated Mackaye, it was just his iconoclastic pose at the time. Somewhere on the way to Blues Explosion he figured out he could shout just as loudly and agressively about what he loved rather than what he "hates" and not lose a whole lot of fans. Maybe even make a couple.

scott v 02.04.2008 10:25 AM

Iam Mackaye is a pompous guy though, i mean c'mon to force upon having no drinks at his Evens gigs and then no other music being played between sets... what a bitch ass. the Evens aren't even that good.

demonrail666 02.04.2008 11:00 AM

I suppose it has a lot to do with Dischord and PG both coming from Washington (at least I think Dischord was a Washington based label!). Either way, Spencer being down on da Dis makes some sense when PG were presenting themselves as this amoral antidote to the more self-righteous elements within Hardcore.

Dead-Air 02.05.2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I suppose it has a lot to do with Dischord and PG both coming from Washington (at least I think Dischord was a Washington based label!). Either way, Spencer being down on da Dis makes some sense when PG were presenting themselves as this amoral antidote to the more self-righteous elements within Hardcore.

Sure, they were presenting themselves as the Rolling Fucking Stones, but it was all an act. An entertaining act to be sure, but Spencer had a totall pro-wrestling approach to punk hype that ought to be taken exactly that seriously. His verbally attacking Dischord (and it was always verbal with him) certainly pointed out how seriously Dischord should be taken as well.

Everyneurotic 02.05.2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Spencer's bombast in JSBE is of a much tamer type than it was in Pussy Galore. In Pussy Galore he was trying very hard to come off as the ultimate asshole, and I think it was just an act as that's what a "cool post-punk" band was supposed to do at the time. When they played Seattle he said the same thing about Soundgarden and Mudhoney and dared them to show up and fight him. It was all hype B.S.

Given that Spencer later worked with Calvin Johnson, who's great friends with Ian, in Oly, I don't think he probably ever hated Mackaye, it was just his iconoclastic pose at the time. Somewhere on the way to Blues Explosion he figured out he could shout just as loudly and agressively about what he loved rather than what he "hates" and not lose a whole lot of fans. Maybe even make a couple.

in a way, pussy galore took their hate for dischord from no trend, who were against everything dischord was for before pg existed. they even tried to make jello hate dischord, no trend really hated them, which might explain why they didn't go very far.

it also has to do with the whole negation thing about punk and no wave, kinda like lydia lunch and swans and flipper and (at the time of pg) big black. being completely pessimistic and hateful.

and well, pussy galore > the blues explosion, they are a joke compared to them, and pg were a joke band!

uhler 02.05.2008 12:58 AM

i find him a very interesting man living a very interesting life.

ZEROpumpkins 02.05.2008 03:35 AM

Fugazi>PG

cryptowonderdruginvogue 02.05.2008 03:52 AM

PG > your mother

ZEROpumpkins 02.05.2008 04:16 AM

kthnx. Some people forget to add the imo.
Massive Attack
Portishead
Jesus and Mary Chain
suck

IMO

Norma J 02.05.2008 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
ian is a boring mother fucker. the end.

i can appreciate the fact that hes a man that "stands for something", but shit, so have countless others.

Did you go to school together? Is he your brother or dad?

I find it hard to fathom how you can call someone you've never met 'boring' with such vigor.

sun city girl 02.05.2008 09:56 AM

PG > Fugazi

and that's a fact.

imho :rolleyes:

Danny Himself 02.05.2008 10:31 AM

Pussy Galore and Jon Spencer are infinitely more interesting than Ian Mackaye. Songs like "You Look Like a Jew" and "Fuck You, Man" justify this as clearly as is possible.

Oh, and the blues are number one. Bab-e:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KgkEw4GjtdU

PAULYBEE2656 02.05.2008 11:25 AM

Maybe Jon Spencer And Co Didnt Like Being Taken For A Ride By A Label Whose Output Is Less Than 50% Quality But Everyone Believes It To Be 100% Quality.

Fugazi Bores Me. Nation Of Ulysees And Circus Lupus And Maybe The Evens Are The Best Thing On That Label....

Everyneurotic 02.05.2008 11:30 AM

actually, i'm listening to nation of ulysses and they are so boring! they are like if the cows sucked really badly.

ugh. best dischord bands (that i've listened to):

1. minor threat
2. void
3. rites of spring
4. government issue
5. flex your head compilation (had bands that never made more than a few songs, like the untouchables).
6. dag nasty
7. scream
8. the faith
9. jawbox
10. q and not u

their best releases were with joint labels (ssd's the kids will have their say, necros' ep, reptile house, etc.)

uhler 02.05.2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
actually, i'm listening to nation of ulysses and they are so boring! they are like if the cows sucked really badly.

ugh. best dischord bands (that i've listened to):

1. minor threat
2. void
3. rites of spring
4. government issue
5. flex your head compilation (had bands that never made more than a few songs, like the untouchables).
6. dag nasty
7. scream
8. the faith
9. jawbox
10. q and not u

their best releases were with joint labels (ssd's the kids will have their say, necros' ep, reptile house, etc.)

i think i'm the only huge fan of dc hardcore that doesn't really like scream. i would make a list of favorite dischord bands but it would have to include all of them. minor threat, fugazi, rites of spring, the faith and nation of ulysses would be on top though.

the kids will have their say is one of the best hardcore albums ever. have you heard their butt rock shit? it sucks balls. so does dys' butt rock shit.

Everyneurotic 02.05.2008 11:50 AM

hahahaha, no! thankfully, i've stayed away from their later albums.