Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bonnie "Prince" Billy... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32106)

afterthefact 06.15.2009 08:01 AM

Bonnie "Prince" Billy...

...saw him Saturday. Pretty good show, even if the music all starts to bleed together after a while...

Shifty Prophet 06.15.2009 08:06 AM

I haven't heard a lot from this guy, how did he sound when you saw him?

noisereductions 06.15.2009 08:10 AM

his new album is very, very good. I highly recommend it.

Shifty Prophet 06.15.2009 08:12 AM

Isn't he on drag city?

noisereductions 06.15.2009 08:15 AM

Mostly.

Shifty Prophet 06.15.2009 08:16 AM

Thanks, I'm gonna check out his releases

noisereductions 06.15.2009 08:19 AM

ps, if you weren't aware he's also Will Oldham, Palace, Palace Brothers, Palace Music, etc etc etc. Check his Wiki page for more details.

Shifty Prophet 06.15.2009 08:21 AM

yeah i remember reading that about his other groups

afterthefact 06.15.2009 08:23 AM

He sounded great. I don't know enough about him to say this or that album is better, or that he played songs off of this or that album, but it was really good. He also has a great personality, and is just cool and funny. The place we saw him was great too, a place called Red Mile in Lexington. It was inside this round barn, and the show was in the middle. You could either sit on the ground floor or on the second floor and look down at the band. Drinks weren't too badly priced either, except for the mixed drinks (my wife had two Long Beach's at $8.50 a piece, but the 24 oz. PBR's were only $3).

Also, I saw my 7th grade teacher there, and she recognized me off the bat, which was cool. My friend who was with me had her a couple years later for English & Literature, and she didn't remember him at first, but then was like "Hey, weren't you the guy who found the condom on the bookshelf?"

demonrail666 06.15.2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
his new album is very, very good. I highly recommend it.

Yeah, I got that. I didn't dislike it but I did sort of find that a lot of the more gospelly bits got pretty irritating after a while.

noisereductions 06.15.2009 08:42 AM

the opening track is ridonk. I'll tell you that much.

demonrail666 06.15.2009 08:47 AM

that track is very good (and creepy). I dunno though, a lot of the other stuff on it is fine too, I just could've done without the row of rent-a-Mahalias in the background.

batreleaser 06.15.2009 08:53 AM

i thought the new record was rather disapointing, but i truly think bonnie is one of th greatest songwriters of this generation, and not to mention a killer singing voice.

im a big fan of his palace days, particularly the records 'viva last blues', 'arise therefore', and 'joya'. that trilogy was perfect.

Derek 06.15.2009 11:55 AM

I always thought he was a bit boring and overrated. I like some of his work though.

jon boy 06.15.2009 12:22 PM

i do like him a lot but it can start to sound samey after a while. he is still pretty awesome though.

terminal pharmacy 06.15.2009 08:12 PM

i liked him more in palace brothers, but i see a darkness is and amazing song, and the version of it he did with johnny cash it beautiful

Green Magnesium 06.15.2009 10:50 PM

I have like 3 of his CDs. That was back when I used to purchase things based solely on reviews and word-of-mouth, without actually listening before-hand. He's one of the main reasons I changed my shopping habits.

The debut "Palace" album is one of the dumbest most phony fucking things I've ever heard in my life. And to think that there are Palace fans who rip on someone like Cat Power.

(Glad you enjoyed the show though, after)

Everyneurotic 06.15.2009 11:13 PM

i hope that someday, buddy, we have peace in our lives...

SuperCreep 06.15.2009 11:17 PM

I personally don't think he's released anything too good after Master and Everyone, but everything he did before that is mostly great.

the ikara cult 06.16.2009 03:22 AM

Ive never liked the first Palace album, apart from I was Drunk at the Pulpit. That one is at least 100% half finished rather than the rest of the songs which arent, if that makes sense.

Im liking Beware, it might turn out to be one of those murky albums that somehow works in the sun. In general i have to be in a very certain mood to listen to any one of his albums except Viva Last Blues which sounds great in almost any situation, good or bad. Joya is the same but the songs arent quite as consistent. And obviously I See A Darknesss is incredible given the right/wrong set of circumstances