Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What do you think of tool? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33212)

Lamont Cranston 07.30.2009 06:18 PM

no ones mentioned King Crimson yet :\

Derek 07.30.2009 06:21 PM

King Crimson is KING of all bands in the universe.

FreshChops 07.30.2009 07:19 PM

Very talented, creative and unique but after there first album.... it all just starts sounding the same. I can't listen to them for more than a couple songs. An occasional radio spot is good.

As a person, from interviews and appearances I've seen of Maynard, he seems like a complete douche. Kinda ruins it for me.

I also get tired of the whole painful Oxy addiction themed songs over and over.

If they would be classified as "metal" they'd be one of the only metal bands I could listen to.

Derek 03.31.2010 10:43 AM

Listened to Lateralus the other day again... ugh. I was so bored the WHOLE TIME! Well apart from Ticks and Leeches and Schism which are interesting and well done songs... but so much of it is filler in my opinion. Adam Jones is such a bland guitarist for a proposed 'progressive rock' band and Maynard's voice really irritates me... how he goes from sort of whispers to semi-shouted lyrics, I really hate that.

I like Undertow for the simple reason that none of it really drags on horribly (even though it's still not that strong of an album).

Oh and ever noticed how a lot of Tool songs sound the exact same? I blame the guitarist for playing the same old drop D bullshit.

[Sandbag] 03.31.2010 01:20 PM

parabol/parabola

awesome

Rob Instigator 03.31.2010 01:43 PM

I despise everything about TOOL and everything they have ever touched.
I loathe TOOL

DeadDiscoDildo 03.31.2010 01:54 PM

I hate them.

ann ashtray 03.31.2010 02:41 PM

Can't stand them as a band. Love Adam Jones though. Wish he'd leave and join the Melvins or something.

jon boy 03.31.2010 03:13 PM

never got into them.

terminal pharmacy 03.31.2010 03:52 PM

favourite band after sy, en, the doors.

batreleaser 03.31.2010 05:26 PM

AEnima is still cool.

Genteel Death 03.31.2010 05:42 PM

I carried on not thinking anything about them until I saw this thread. Now I continue thinking about how shit they are.

EVOLghost 03.31.2010 06:22 PM

I like Tool. Fan of AEnima. I'm quite pissed off on not goin' to see them last year.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.31.2010 06:24 PM

Tool are beyond awful.

terminal pharmacy 03.31.2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Tool are beyond awful.

yeah their musicianship is just plain average, none of them can play their instruments or write songs...

you may not like them but you should be able to appreciate that they are all fucking brilliant musicians at the very least

akprodr 03.31.2010 07:12 PM

another vote for Aenima, honorable mention for undertow. 10k days has the absolute best packaging in the history of history. But 10k and Lat are snooze worthy musically.

GeneticKiss 04.01.2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
One of the more interesting bands in modern heavy rock. They actually put some thought into what they do. As for lyrics, they don't really affect me one way or another.

THIS little wooden post was the best I could come up with at the time?! Wow, I was boring then...

Undertow sounds like being trapped in some underground locale with no escape.

Aenima sounds like aliens covering Helmet.

Lateralus sounds like some bizarre sex cult ritual set to metal.

I'm still trying to think of an analogy for 10,000 Days...

To be honest, I think my favorite is Undertow, because it's not really classifiable as metal even though it's heavy, and its claustrophobic production is very fitting for the murky nature of the songs.

pbradley 04.01.2010 02:11 AM

To be honest, I liked them more when I really didn't know all that much about them. They were mysterious.

atsonicpark 04.01.2010 02:39 AM

Aenima is a masterpiece, one of the best albums ever. That's the only one you really need. All their stuff is good, except for 10,000 Days though.

atsonicpark 04.01.2010 02:45 AM

Looking through this thread, it's funny, it looks like I made all the posts, when in fact I was replying to SWay on a bunch of them...

Oh, and belated reply (perhaps I just didn't deem this as even being worth wasting my time replying to the first time around)..
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitemusic
atsonicpark, you have the worst taste in music of anyone I have ever encountered in my life. Every time you post, you mention liking a worse band than the last.

I've never encountered you in your life, so your point is invalid. But yeah, ICP fucking rulz. JUGGALOS FOR LIFE WOOP WOOP.