Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

tw2113 07.05.2019 01:51 PM

Decided to do Neuromancer and IT at the same time. So I'm about 40pages in to each

d.sound 07.05.2019 03:34 PM

I love that this thread is so active. I also frequent the animal collective board, and despite having several dozen more members, their books thread is not this lively by far.

I had got a third of the way through that Alan Turing biography but all the math became tedious.

Now I'm on the new Neal Stephenson. Quite good. I liked Snow Crash alright. This is much better.

LifeDistortion 07.06.2019 08:36 PM

Reading Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

pony 07.15.2019 06:26 AM

Alle Tage by Terezia Mora

pony 07.15.2019 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marleypumpkin

I feel like I know this book by heart. I had to read it in THREE different classes when I went to university. :eek:

LifeDistortion 07.15.2019 06:12 PM

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides.

ilduclo 07.16.2019 08:14 AM

Getting Lurianics for my birthday!

Reading Words Will Break Cement.

sonic sphere 07.16.2019 03:58 PM

Severian 07.16.2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Decided to do Neuromancer and IT at the same time. So I'm about 40pages in to each

Neuromancer is dope need to read again.

I’m reading the Golden Compass because I guess I never finished it before. Or made it past the first few chapters to be honest. It all feels new.

Cool though. Good stuff

Rob Instigator 07.18.2019 09:09 AM

about 20 pages or so from finishing the Claw of Conciliator.

Yesterday I received a good condition 1st edition hardback with the dustjacket of Sword of the Lictor. Got it from ebay for $8.00. Will start in on it as soon as I finish the CLAW

h8kurdt 07.18.2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

I’m reading the Golden Compass because I guess I never finished it before. Or made it past the first few chapters to be honest. It all feels new.

Cool though. Good stuff

I saw the trailer for the series they're doing a few weeks back and decided to re-read the trilogy. I'd actually forgotten most of it myself so it felt new too. Brilliant books.

Rob Instigator 07.19.2019 11:06 AM

Finished The Claw of the Conciliator..... https://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2019/...w-my-mind.html

pony 07.19.2019 06:21 PM

this is SO good. I am kinda sad that this is the only translation of her work. I wish I had paid more attention in Spanish class, so I could read all her books...

!@#$%! 07.22.2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony

this is SO good. I am kinda sad that this is the only translation of her work. I wish I had paid more attention in Spanish class, so I could read all her books...

escribe bonito, pero no la imites :D

!@#$%! 07.22.2019 02:42 PM

charles duhigg - the power of habit

read the book summary the other day and it seemed useful. now got into the full text.

it’s a good journalistic coverage of current science on what makes habits and what makes them stick. it’s got various fascinating case studies in neuroscience, individual and organizational psychology, marketing, etc.

yes, it’s got some actionable information in it, but that’s not the real meat of the book. the real meat of the book is... brains

ilduclo 07.22.2019 04:50 PM

Finished the Pussy Riot book, god what a thug Putin is....

Onto these, GOING TO TAKE A WHILE !!

Severian 07.22.2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
about 20 pages or so from finishing the Claw of Conciliator.

Yesterday I received a good condition 1st edition hardback with the dustjacket of Sword of the Lictor. Got it from ebay for $8.00. Will start in on it as soon as I finish the CLAW

YES!

Can’t wait to read your review!

You’re finally coming through for me, which means I will read a book or series of your choosing (within reason). Fiction only, no mocrofungi books.

Severian 07.22.2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I saw the trailer for the series they're doing a few weeks back and decided to re-read the trilogy. I'd actually forgotten most of it myself so it felt new too. Brilliant books.

Yeah, I’m pretty impressed. Slow moving because I’m working a ton these days, but it ... well, it’s smarter, better, faster, stronger than the Harry Potter books to which it is so often - for some reason - compared, despite coming out much earlier.

If only Harry Potter was written this eloquently, the story could have been something, but the actual prose underestimates the attention spans of young readers.

Kinda weird that it’s going to be an HBO show. Think they’re going to up the violence?

LifeDistortion 07.23.2019 10:26 AM

Consumed by David Cronenberg. Enjoying it so far. Has a early Chuck Palahniuk feel to it.

!@#$%! 07.23.2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Consumed by David Cronenberg...

oh hell yes. first i hear of this.