Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   damnit why don't more people listen to the hospitals? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31729)

davenotdead 06.02.2009 02:44 AM

damnit why don't more people listen to the hospitals?

is there a logical reason?

there can't be. 1! ?

i'd refuse to believe it.

there last LP /500 doesn't even sell for buck$ on ebay. wtfff

atsonicpark 06.02.2009 03:01 AM

Probably because it's "difficult" for most "normal" people to listen to.

Glice 06.02.2009 03:11 AM

Probably because it's "shit" music that's "not interesting".

_slavo_ 06.02.2009 03:13 AM

I tried listening to "Hairdryer Piece" once, but it was just too much for me.
It's so difficult it's not enjoyable anymore.

Glice 06.02.2009 03:16 AM

More seriously, I would've loved the Hospitals years ago, but it really doesn't flick my switches for now. I think people can be forgiven for not caring about one band in a million. Are they really that unique to merit your passion?

davenotdead 06.02.2009 03:28 AM

they seem to have that "it".

the it that can please underground/overground peoples alike. but perhaps my perception is jaded.

and if you didn't like hairdryer peace, try their s/t

davenotdead 06.02.2009 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
More seriously, I would've loved the Hospitals years ago, but it really doesn't flick my switches for now. I think people can be forgiven for not caring about one band in a million. Are they really that unique to merit your passion?

they're not terribly unique, but they do what they do better than most of their peers, who are more popular for some reason

wellcharge 06.02.2009 03:43 AM

i don't listen to the hospitals, i have listened to them but i didn't care enough about what i heard to put it on regularly

Toilet & Bowels 06.02.2009 03:43 AM

hairdryer peace scored mad kudos when it got released, i've listened to it more than a few times and it's just not my taste

atsonicpark 06.02.2009 04:26 AM

I don't think they're as good as a lot of people have said they are, but they definitely have their merit. They're unique. I just think the problem is, they don't fit in with any genre in particular -- how do you market this kind of music?... another problem: the production is absolutely terrible on Hairdryer Peace, purposefully so of course.. but to the point where I don't bother putting that album on very often. I always say production doesn't matter, but it's so not-produced-in-the-least to be difficult to listen to, no matter how "aesthetically pleasing" it is. I mean, for a lack of a better example, there's lots of Dead C recordings that are produced like garbage, but for whatever reason they made it work. Hospitals just give me a headache. Which, again, is kinda "cool" but it's not surprising that their records aren't worth anything. And limited to 500 isn't very limited when you consider what the sound on that record is like. I think I sorta agree with what Glice said... willfully difficult music was pretty cool a while back, but I'm kind of looking for a bit more substance than knee-jerk noisey bursts nowadays. They're not too bad, though, especially compared to the thousands of "brilliant" bands jerking off with samplers or fucking with some shitty FX pedal for 30 minutes.

dionysusundone 06.02.2009 04:41 AM

I was told I would like them but I have never been able to track down one of their records. (Don't have a way to order online)

Glice 06.02.2009 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
...they don't fit in with any genre in particular -- how do you market this kind of music?...

It's noisey garage. Probably shitgaze. Simple enough to market, except there's fucking thousands of the fuckers doing the rounds at the moment. I don't see Hospitals as being significantly different to a fair few local bands. I don't particularly want to shout about them either.

Quote:

Dead C

I never got the hang of them either.

Quote:

willfully difficult music

There's at least two sorts of difficult, I think. There's the difficult as in poorly produced, and there's difficult as in 32 partials in an octave. I tend to prefer the latter.

Quote:

especially compared to the thousands of "brilliant" bands jerking off with samplers or fucking with some shitty FX pedal for 30 minutes.

I'd agree with that 4000%

atsonicpark 06.02.2009 05:02 AM

Really, you don't like Dead C? That's kinda surprising actually, seems like a band you'd love.

Glice 06.02.2009 05:08 AM

They're one of those bands, like Fugazi, that I try and listen to and my mind just switches off entirely as soon as they come on. It gets to the end of the record and I have no idea how it sounds, having just heard it. Or I'll just walk out of the room and forget that I was listening to it. It's a strange phenomenon.

Keeping It Simple 06.02.2009 05:58 AM

The lame moniker doesn't help.

Onani Nic 06.02.2009 06:29 AM

Hairdryer Piece was probably one of my favourites last year, even now it's not on weekly rotation but I think it'll still get a spin every once and a while in 5 years. I think it's more along the lines of Royal Trux's Twin Infinitives than these "shitgaze" bands or your modern day In The Red garage stuff. I actually thought they had a pretty enjoyable and unique approach to being a "lo-fi" compared to a lot of bands.

demonrail666 06.02.2009 07:39 AM

isn't it enough that they're wasting their own time?

atsonicpark 06.02.2009 08:08 AM

^^^ Best post of the thread, haha.

Inhuman 06.02.2009 09:00 AM

"...Jocks and Jazz" was pretty good in my opinion. But when I heard Hairdryer Peace I just didn't get into it. So I listened to it again. Then I still didn't get into it. And after a few more listens, I finally gave up and didn't think much of that album.

davenotdead 06.02.2009 11:55 AM

production aside, have you guys forgotten that punk/noise music can be fun?