Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A brilliant letter that somebody wrote to The Wire (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=37608)

greedrex 01.20.2010 12:54 PM

twats!

pbradley 01.20.2010 01:04 PM

I think this just might be a case of displaced anger. Sarramkrop really just wants to dig at this Edwin Pouncey fellow.

Or his parents.

noisereductions 01.20.2010 01:14 PM

it should be noted that I'm really just goofing around. My first post about it being boring was really a dig at Keeping It Simple, but...

Glice 01.20.2010 01:15 PM

I met Pouncey. He was a bit of a cock. His writing's usually quite good though. Except, y'know, the whole off-key references.

noisereductions 01.20.2010 01:17 PM

I didn't read the article, but I quite liked the part about the whole album constantly referencing that same low-note. It's the sort of observation you would expect from a listener that was being paid to write about the album!

jimbrim 01.20.2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I met Pouncey. He was a bit of a cock. His writing's usually quite good though. Except, y'know, the whole off-key references.

in what way was he being a cock?
i like his writing, and his savage pencil illustrations and cartoons are great as well

Glice 01.20.2010 02:07 PM

He was just a sneering, snide little record geek. You know, one of those who'll correct you on every non-important detail of a very general conversation.

Genteel Death 01.20.2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
it should be noted that I'm really just goofing around. My first post about it being boring was really a dig at Keeping It Simple, but...

C'mon, don't be a chicken now. Why do you not just admit that the regular amount of neg-rep I administer to your posts cause you to weep like a little girl? It's all in the name of fun, you know?

noisereductions 01.20.2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
It's all in the name of fun, you know?

This.

I know. And agree. And don't give an F nearly as much as you think.

Genteel Death 01.20.2010 02:28 PM

Yes yot do. Oh yes! You neg-repped me back.

noisereductions 01.20.2010 02:29 PM

correct. But I've also pos-repped you in the past.

Genteel Death 01.20.2010 02:35 PM

So what? Do you want me to think that you're less lame because of that? The fact that you care so much about rep is a joy to behold. I so want to to neg-rep you right now, you wouldn't believe it.

noisereductions 01.20.2010 02:48 PM

yes, Genteel. That's what I'm aiming for. For you to think I'm less lame. It's not working? Crap.

Seriously, I openly started a thread that was basically inviting everyone to neg-rep me. I really dn't care. Maybe you can convice everyone to neg rep me in your stead? Or you could make some new user names, and neg-rep me with them. Whatever.

Genteel Death 01.20.2010 03:04 PM

NO NO NO! I have to be the one. This desire I have to randomly neg-rep your attempts at explaining that you don't care about a little confidence boost is killing me. KILLING ME, I tell you.

Keeping It Simple 01.20.2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

And I love you for it. :)

noisereductions 01.20.2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
NO NO NO! I have to be the one. This desire I have to randomly neg-rep your attempts at explaining that you don't care about a little confidence boost is killing me. KILLING ME, I tell you.

OOOOH! I see now. Okay. Now that you've explained it a little more clearly, I actually think that you're a little less lame.

Genteel Death 01.20.2010 03:16 PM

What took you so long?

!@#$%! 01.20.2010 03:24 PM

i've skimmed over the useless drama that ensued in this thread but i did read and like the original letter and maybe even the responses from the musician in question--- even if i don't know what the fuck is the c minor pentatonic scale (something about missing notes.. something?)

anyway, nice read, makes me want to re-subscribe to the wire even though it costs a fucking mint and i was unable to ever read 1/2 of it-- but the wire tappers were good!

what was i mumbling about... i forget... oh yeah, good read, thanks.

Genteel Death 01.20.2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i've skimmed over the useless drama that ensued in this thread but i did read and like the original letter and maybe even the responses from the musician in question--- even if i don't know what the fuck is the c minor pentatonic scale (something about missing notes.. something?)

anyway, nice read, makes me want to re-subscribe to the wire even though it costs a fucking mint and i was unable to ever read 1/2 of it-- but the wire tappers were good!

what was i mumbling about... i forget... oh yeah, good read, thanks.

QUOTE]
Nevermind the useless drama or The Wire, get yourself the record because it's fantastic. I agree with the original letter myself, which I personally don't think is suggesting the record is a bad one, just pointing out that on a purely technical level it doesn't sound like the points of reference the reviewer made the focal point of his review. I mean, I'm far from being an expert musicologist, but when I read the review and played the record at the same time I was wondering what he was going on about. In Pouncey's defence I'd say the letter seems to read a little too harsh condeming what is probably just enthusiasm for a brilliant record gone too far up its own arse. Bill Orcutt himself brings up a good point about influence not always having to be literal or purely musical, even though I think that will only really make more sense to the artist than most other people.

Keeping It Simple 01.20.2010 04:26 PM

I wrote a letter once to the NME complaining about Pete Doherty's lackadaisical cord progressions on his last single "Last of the English Roses". I suggested less D m's and more A 7's.