Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pixies Doolittle alternative tracklist (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14993)

Bollocks_to_Pop 07.24.2007 05:43 PM

Pixies Doolittle alternative tracklist

Hey I was reading the 33 1/3 book about Double Nickels on the Dime. The guy was talking about the tracklisting of the album and mentioned that supposedly on the album Doolittle, The Pixies wanted the record to be squenced differently than it was. According to the author they put clues of how they wanted it to go on the cd liner notes. The first page has Gouge Away. You play the songs in the order given in the booklet, the right side ones first, then the ones that are upside down. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I thought it was interesting if anyone knew anymore about this. If it's the true then the alternative song sequence is this:

Gouge Away
Mr. Grieves
Dead
Wave Of Mutilation
Tame
Hey
I Bleed
Monkey Gone To Heaven
Silver
No. 13 Baby
Crackity Jones
Here Comes Your Man
La La Love You
There Goes My Gun
Debaser

fugazifan 07.24.2007 07:01 PM

why would they not be able to have the tracklisting in the order that they wanted it?
plus who in their right mind would make an album with debaser on it, and not start the album with it?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.24.2007 07:11 PM

that looks like a good track listing.

k-krack 07.24.2007 07:15 PM

I have no idea about this... BUT!
Know what they should have done either way? Cut No. 13 Baby. Because let's be honest, it's a sucky song. It brings down the rest of the album.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.24.2007 07:21 PM

ive heard worse
ive heard better

atsonicpark 07.24.2007 10:02 PM

uhhh

no. 13 baby is by far the best song on the album, next to debasser. the ending of that song.. wow. amazing guitar interplay.

i love the b-sides for that album... manta ray in particular..

finding nobody 07.24.2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
I have no idea about this... BUT!
Know what they should have done either way? Cut No. 13 Baby. Because let's be honest, it's a sucky song. It brings down the rest of the album.

Silver is the sucky song maan..

pbradley 07.24.2007 11:11 PM

Personally, I thought There Goes My Gun was the weakest track on Doolittle.

k-krack 07.24.2007 11:33 PM

Listening to No. 13 again, it's the verses I dislike, I much prefer the chorus. And the ending is some fine guitar work.
I actually dig Silver, for some reason it reminds me of like.. David Lynch. I could not even try to tell you why...
And shit, I forgot about La La Love You... fuck that song.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.24.2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Personally, I thought There Goes My Gun was the weakest track on Doolittle.

me too.

My advice is just to put on Trompe Le Monde. That's the best one :D

atsonicpark 07.25.2007 12:48 AM

there is no weak song on doolittle.

but actually yeah silver reminds me of lynch too....

k-krack 07.25.2007 01:39 AM

I'm going to have to give it another proper listening soon. For the most part, I think, all of the songs are pretty good - save for a section or two of 'em.

ZEROpumpkins 07.25.2007 05:11 AM

That alternartive track list sucks. Debaser as the last track???

SuperCreep 07.25.2007 05:44 AM

It's fine the way it is.

gmku 07.25.2007 07:45 AM

Doolittle is one of the finest pop-rock albums ever made, any way you slice it.

pbradley 07.25.2007 07:56 AM

Yes, Doolittle is one of the finest. But Surfer Rosa blows it out of the water. Tony's Theme exemplifies the Pixies' warped sense of pop, Where Is My Mind delivers the surreal, and Break My Body is just fucking cool.

Nevermind 11.22.2008 04:40 PM

"Tony's Theme" is Black Francis's least favorite Pixies song. "Break My Body" is one of the best songs ever though. I like how "Mr. Grieves" is #2 in the alternative track listing. "La La La La La La La La" Doolittle destroys Surfer Rosa.

Green Magnesium 11.23.2008 12:53 AM

TONY'S THEME is such a hideously obnoxious song. It's a shame because the rest of Surfer Rosa would be perfect without it.

littlepriest 11.19.2011 04:11 AM

Have you ever heard the Doolittle demos? They're the fucking coolest, "La La Love You" is better than the album version. God damn!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
TONY'S THEME is such a hideously obnoxious song. It's a shame because the rest of Surfer Rosa would be perfect without it.

I agree with you completely.