Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

demonrail666 01.19.2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Is it all just a commentary on the flaws and sociopath tendencies of Reaganomics?

Insofar as Brett Easton Ellis appears incapable of writing anything else, I imagine so.

atsonicpark 01.19.2011 06:38 PM

Right on.

I watched Less than Zero last week actually. I just kinda shrugged.

noisereductions 01.19.2011 07:15 PM

yes he's a one-trick pony. But I love it. I've read most of his books, seen all his movie adaptations.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.19.2011 09:13 PM

a-p a. niemi 01.20.2011 04:27 AM

Pelle 01.20.2011 07:46 AM

Funny People.

Not so very funny. I usually love Adam Sandler.
Seth Rogen saved this one.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.20.2011 08:09 AM

Blair Witch 2

Not exactly the most well-made film, but this was surprisingly effective and unnerving. I definitely would've lost Jeff's pointless mental asylum backstory, and not have made the ghost of the little girl look so silly. Other than that though, this really creeped me out - which very few horror films actually do. An unexpected treat.

sonic sphere 01.20.2011 08:28 AM

noisereductions 01.20.2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Blair Witch 2

Not exactly the most well-made film, but this was surprisingly effective and unnerving. I definitely would've lost Jeff's pointless mental asylum backstory, and not have made the ghost of the little girl look so silly. Other than that though, this really creeped me out - which very few horror films actually do. An unexpected treat.

this movie is actually a lot better than people assume. It's obviously not like the original, but I think they did a really good job with it. Also that redhead that gets naked.

EVOLghost 01.20.2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
this movie is actually a lot better than people assume. It's obviously not like the original, but I think they did a really good job with it. Also that redhead that gets naked.

lol

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.20.2011 09:23 AM

Oh yeah, I really liked her...uhhh... performance. Same goes for the goth girl, even though she didn't get as naked.

noisereductions 01.20.2011 09:55 AM

the redhead I've seen in other stuff. But she wasn't a redhead.

keep poppin pimples 01.20.2011 10:04 AM

6/10

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.20.2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

American Psycho is a pretty hilarious film. The sequel is so awful though.

The first one is borderline b movie enough, what could honestly be expected of the sequel considering the horror movie tradition of crap?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.20.2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere

this is such a great film, and what sucks most of all, is how realistic is actually was (and remains unfortunately)

"so you bought the bottle of beer at 11 o clocl.. so you say you bought the bottle of beer at 12 o c clock.. you know you done fucked up right?"

tw2113 01.21.2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

American Psycho

so I finally saw this flick, not bad at all! But I'm not sure, was this film really a facetious analysis of the sociopath mentality of the Wall Street in the Ronald Reagan era? Even deeper, was it just a cap on Ronald Reagan himself, a suit and tie, fashionable, old money-oriented, 80s yuppie with a veil and facade of normality and yet under the plastic surface of style and trendiness lies a true and absolute murderous monster? Are all brokers and traders and politicians really murderous sociopaths? I mean, their lives result in just as much senseless violence across the world, but it is a bit more under the covers, veiled behind their artificial lifestyles? At least thats how I felt, especially with that ending focusing on Reagan's contra scandal speech. All these guys are murders hiding behind nice suits and a high-dollar lifestyle, but I think this was showing perhaps an extreme variant there of? Several African films of the 1970s played on this exact theme, pointing out the ostentatious wealth and plastic lifestyles of the wealthy and elite in African political/economic sphere as a kind of mask giving false legitimacy and a hiding place from all the blinding and hopeless violence perpetrated by their reckless decisions..

Wrong screenshot from the movie though. That's a shot from this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cPuaqGZGro

which I find to be quite a nice cover of a great Talking Heads song.

Torn Curtain 01.21.2011 06:23 AM

We are four lions.

I think it's just OK (even if the film is supposed to be satire I have trouble imagining terrorists to be that stupid - I expected something deeper than that).

sonic sphere 01.21.2011 07:40 AM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.21.2011 08:39 AM

atsonicpark 01.21.2011 09:03 AM

INSOMNIA '97 - 9/10