Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   BEIRUT (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10991)

Bunbury 03.03.2007 01:17 PM

BEIRUT

best contemp-0 musician? I say yes.
Zach CONdon does gypsy right.

gulag orkester was easily my favorite album of 2006, and Beirut were amazing live when i saw them in toronto, and i dont think many psych folk/folk/freak folk ETC... bands are any good live.

opinions?

deathbyfeedback 03.03.2007 01:18 PM

sounds like some american kid went to eastern europe and then realised... oh, hang on a sec...

Bunbury 03.03.2007 01:19 PM

Pompei the "new, new" Emusic EP is available here:
http://www.emusic.com/album/11008/11008224.html

Tokolosh 03.03.2007 02:10 PM

I still haven't heard Beirut...

Have you rearranged Damien Hirst's Acid Diethylamide, Bunbury?
Nice.

Bunbury 03.03.2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
I still haven't heard Beirut...

Have you rearranged Damien Hirst's Acid Diethylamide, Bunbury?
Nice.

BEIRUT:
Tokolosh,
listen to this:
Mount Wroclai -Idle Days--Beirut--Gulag Orkester
http://www.badongo.com/file/2371997

HIRST:
thanks.
yeah, i love that twat and his pharmacy

Iain 03.03.2007 02:34 PM

Hirst is a twat, he makes my eyes bleed. I saw one of his things, 'God' I think, and it left me lukewarm. He's one of the biggest flim flam merchants of modern times.

Tokolosh 03.03.2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunbury
BEIRUT:
Tokolosh,
listen to this:
Mount Wroclai -Idle Days--Beirut--Gulag Orkester
http://www.badongo.com/file/2371997

Thanks for that. It's beautiful.

_slavo_ 03.03.2007 03:34 PM

They got a song called "Bratislava". That's about the only thing I like about them.

Bunbury 03.03.2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Hirst is a twat, he makes my eyes bleed. I saw one of his things, 'God' I think, and it left me lukewarm. He's one of the biggest flim flam merchants of modern times. no more retinal art!

oh, uh i rather like him...
is this the piece you saw?

according to artnet it sold for about $316,000 and contains about $800 worth of pills.

Iain 03.03.2007 09:39 PM

Hey, you made my writing red and added stuff!

I'm pretty sure the piece I saw was a bit different. It was wider and had a mirrored back to it I think. And the stuff in it was more ordered if that makes sense.

There were some massive Joseph Beuys wax lump things next to it which pleased me more...I was a bit bored so I scraped some of the Beuys wax sculpture under my fingernails when the guard wasn't looking.

It was a quite dissapointing gallery and the Hirst thing made me want to smash stuff.

drrrtyboots 03.03.2007 11:23 PM

he bores me. he pretends to be a gypsy for some years in eastern europe and returns a god. no, fuck it.

my opinion of course, but boring to myself.

Bunbury 03.04.2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
There were some massive Joseph Beuys wax lump things next to it which pleased me more...I was a bit bored so I scraped some of the Beuys wax sculpture under my fingernails when the guard wasn't looking.

It was a quite dissapointing gallery and the Hirst thing made me want to smash stuff.

you TOUCHED the beuys!
oh god i just vomitted in my mouth a little.

I am going to be "working" (frantically replying to emails via blackberry and ignoring visiters) at a gallery next month, i dont quite know yet how i'll deal w/ art touchers like yrself, severed hands? (Ref. Allah 5:33 "punishment for theft")

FYI: that was probably beuys fat you were scratching.

how do you feel about Beuys?

I think hes very interesting yet, inSINcere?...
do you really buy his whole tARTar rescue story? i dont. I also dont like how he claims to be this shamanic healer of the people and then simultaneously compares his audience to dead hares (illus. 1.)/idiots/simpletons etc...

------------

illustrations

Bunbury 03.04.2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathbyfeedback
sounds like some american kid went to eastern europe and then realised... oh, hang on a sec...

Quote:

he bores me. he pretends to be a gypsy for some years in eastern europe and returns a god. no, fuck it.
my opinion of course, but boring to myself.

I find alot of people consider him inauthentic, because hes from brooklyn/new mexico? and not actually russian/east european etc... if he was russian would that change anything?

i dont see anything wrong w/ that, he's influenced by eastern europe so he uses it in his work.

and he's no where as near as "prentenious" about it as those dirty hemp wearing neo-hippy/folky devandra banheart types. (Ref. Hayden A.-"Jah Bless")

davenotdead 03.05.2007 02:53 AM

^^^what bunbury says....Beirut=fantastico

_slavo_ 03.05.2007 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunbury
i dont see anything wrong w/ that, he's influenced by eastern europe so he uses it in his work.

I'm not sure about that. I don't hear many Eastern European music influences in his music...Maybe some distant Balkan touches here and there, maybe a bit Romania, but not so much I guess. Sounds a lot more Southeast to me (Albania/Turkey)

startur 03.05.2007 03:03 PM

i'm not sure if anyone cares... but i heard "Postcards from Italy" in an Ivory soap commercial. well i at least i think it was Ivory soap, it was definetly Beirut though. i have only seen the commercial once and i believe it's only in Canada.

Bunbury 03.06.2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by startur
i'm not sure if anyone cares... but i heard "Postcards from Italy" in an Ivory soap commercial. well i at least i think it was Ivory soap, it was definetly Beirut though. i have only seen the commercial once and i believe it's only in Canada.

yeah i've seen it, it doesnt bother me.
I'd like to be a commodity myself,
bought low and sold high.

Tokolosh 03.06.2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I'm not sure about that. I don't hear many Eastern European music influences in his music...Maybe some distant Balkan touches here and there, maybe a bit Romania, but not so much I guess. Sounds a lot more Southeast to me (Albania/Turkey)

Same difference. :D

Toilet & Bowels 03.06.2007 08:54 PM

i like that thing that hirst made out of zillions of dead flies stuck together with tar. and also that butterfly stuck in paint, although i think he should have used more than just one butterfly.

amyvega 03.06.2007 08:57 PM

i tried to like beirut but i. just. couldn't.