Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   No Doubt (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13491)

Green Magnesium 05.29.2007 02:04 AM

No Doubt

Does anyone else really love this band?

I was never really able to enjoy anything from their last release, Rock Steady, but Return of Saturn is without a doubt one of my favorite pop albums, bar none.

I've been having a bit of trouble appreciating Stefani's solo work, but I ended up seeing her live, for free, with a friend for her birthday about a week back, and I really enjoyed the show. Very light, fun and entertaining.

I love the way Stefani's speaking voice is nearly identical to that of my 6 year old cousin's (he's a boy). She was adorable on stage by the way. It's hard not to love her.

I'd take her over Regina Spektor, Amy Winehouse, Lilly Allen, blah blah blah, anyday.

Opinions, comments?

Onani Nic 05.29.2007 02:46 AM

I like solo better than No Doubt, not a fan of anything 90's ska sounding. I hated her first song solo but Holler Back Girl, Wind It Up and The Sweet Escape are pretty rad songs.

100% serious here, no irony.

SynthethicalY 05.29.2007 03:37 AM

I don't like her solo, but Tragic Kingdom and Return of Saturn are the only good albums they released in my opinion.

screamingskull 05.29.2007 04:37 AM

No Doubt were great!!!! i loved Tragic Kingdom and Return of Saturn. Hopefully their reunion will be great because i hated Rock Steady.

SynthethicalY 05.29.2007 04:38 AM

Yeah Rock Steady is lame, I think this is where Gwen got her new solo album stuff.

atsonicpark 05.29.2007 09:36 AM

gwen sucks.

some of her solo shit is actually amazing though. my mom bought a car last year and they had left all their cd's in it so we got like 50 cd's for free.. all the no doubt shit (eh), a ween cd (eh.h....), one of the misfits cd's from the coffin box (yay!), and all the radiohead cd's... lots of good shit, some shit that wasn't so good..

but the first gwen stefani solo album was in there. i listened to it a few times. enjoye d it.

Everyneurotic 05.29.2007 12:37 PM

tragic kingdom is one of my favorite albums of the 90's for sure.

SonicSam 05.29.2007 05:43 PM

Gwen stefani and her stupid quirky japanese dancers can piss off. I have no time for her at all.

Danny Himself 05.29.2007 06:01 PM

You shouldn't group Regina Spektor in with Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse. She actually has talent.

Prisstina 05.29.2007 06:05 PM

i have tragic kingdom. not from my "era" at all, but i love that album.

MellySingsDoom 05.29.2007 06:06 PM

Please excuse me, but Gwen Stefani et al can eat shit. Thank you.

sarramkrop 05.29.2007 06:15 PM

I'd like to like her music if i knew more about it. I suppose one or two songs that i like don't mean that i like her as a whole or dislike her music as such. The point where her public persona tells me that i should like her and her music doesn't tell me what i might like or what i might not like about her records. I don't know if i like her records or if i don't like them. I like a few songs, does that mean that i like Gwen Stefani as a whole?

atari 2600 05.29.2007 06:19 PM

Return to Saturn was critically acclaimed, I remember that. I had a few friends that would play it a lot when it came out. The same sort of jackoffs that would also put on stuff like Everclear or 311. I think I also prefer her solo stuff. I have no No Doubt. No releases, no Gwen solo, and no boots.

Alex's Trip 05.29.2007 06:40 PM

Her solo stuff is good. Regardless of the musical merit, it is just fun to listen to. My sister has both of her CDs.

At Relay for Life, the DJ (who really sucked) started playing Holla Back Girl up until she said 'shit' for the first time, which was in the first 3 seconds. It was pretty funny because everyone got excited for those 3 seconds.

pbradley 05.29.2007 06:46 PM

Growing up in Orange County in the 90's left me resenting/ignoring basically all of the ska shit that was coming out at the time. No Doubt, Aquabats, Reel Big Fish. No thanks. I know it ain't fair but it just isn't my style. As for her solo work, nothing has made me interested enough to look into her.

val-holla-ing 05.29.2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
You shouldn't group Regina Spektor in with Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse. She actually has talent.

i think you got it mixed up. the last thing the world needs is another fucking fiona amos.

at least amy can actually sing.

as for no doubt...they were decent with 'tragic kingdom,' and had a few okay singles every now and then, but gwen steffani just needs to stop. another last thing the world needs is a glorified japanophile who can't sing.

atari 2600 05.29.2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
...I've been having a bit of trouble appreciating Stefani's solo work, but I ended up seeing her live, for free, with a friend for her birthday about a week back, and I really enjoyed the show. Very light, fun and entertaining...

I saw her on SNL (last year?) and she is great live. Like Britney Spears/Ashley Simpson, only TRAMPLED UNDER FOOT.

Of course everyone knows about the A. Simpson SNL lip-synching debacle. In recent Britney news, she did some show where her lip-synch track started skipping. Serves the idiot right.

Danny Himself 05.29.2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
i think you got it mixed up. the last thing the world needs is another fucking fiona amos.

at least amy can actually sing.

Regina can sing, just in a weird way, but its all good. Amy looks like a crackwhore, and probably is. Londoners..

atari 2600 05.29.2007 07:11 PM

She certainly does (look like a crack ho or the like). I just don't get it. She's untalented and fugly. Then again, most of the new music people buy is cack.

I think she's only taller than Joan Jett by virtue of the beehive.

Jett is almost fifty and still rocks. Amy's music just lays there and is annoying. I'm pretty certain Joan would snap
Amy in two in a catfight. Okay, I'm silly.

Alex's Trip 05.29.2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Growing up in Orange County in the 90's left me resenting/ignoring basically all of the ska shit that was coming out at the time. No Doubt, Aquabats, Reel Big Fish. No thanks. I know it ain't fair but it just isn't my style. As for her solo work, nothing has made me interested enough to look into her.

My sister is dating a brother of one of the members of the Aquabats.