Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   In The Kingdom 19 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=85211)

h8kurdt 12.16.2012 08:16 AM

In The Kingdom 19

So great song/jam/free form wank or whatever you call it. The main reason for this post is something always bothered me about it.

Do you not think that is was strangely insensitive to have Mike Watt's first recording, post D Boon's death, to be one about a car crash? I could never figure it out. Mike Watt must've known the lyrical subject of the song? Given how grief stricken Watt was by Boon's death. it was surely a difficult thing to pick up a bass again, let alone play on a song like this.

So what are your thoughts, was it insensitive of Sonic Youth? And any more info about the song would be great.

Magic Wheel Memory 12.16.2012 09:07 AM

Watt chose to play on the song, so no, I don't think it was insensitive. Cathartic, perhaps?

TheMadcapLaughs 12.16.2012 12:24 PM

I d'ont know if he did necessarily know the subject matter as sonic youth are known to fully record and compose the music of songs before adding any vocals. But in any case, no, I don't think so it was insensitive.

noisereductions 12.16.2012 03:18 PM

yeah i think Catharsis was a big thing.

I know Watt mentions in the Whitey liner notes about working w/ Ciccone really helped him get back to music again right?

h8kurdt 12.17.2012 02:20 PM

Yeah doing a cover of Burning Up is totally understandable. I dunno how madcaplaughs can see it as not being insensitive. Especially if it was true that Watt didn't know the subject matter.

As for whether it was cathartic I can believe that. Although it obviously hasn't pissed Watt off as he still seems to be good friends with the rest of SY.

Rob Instigator 12.17.2012 02:35 PM

anyone asking this question has no knowledge of the minutement, surely. They were personal, deeply political, and known for never ever shying away from harsh topics.

I do not think Watt is the kind of wuss that would be offended by song lyrics.

Listen to the Minutemen.

h8kurdt 12.17.2012 02:49 PM

I have more than enough times.
The point is that D Boons death was, and still is a massive (and this can't be understated) blow for Mike Watt.

"A wuss to be offended"? It would be pretty understandable if barely 5 months after D Boons death Watt would be pretty sore about it.

Rob Instigator 12.17.2012 03:18 PM

he was asked to play music because he had been depressed beyond all fuck for the whole time man. he was numb. The Youth asked him to come play on some tracks. It's what musician's do. He credits the Youth, repeatedly, on bringing him back from that hellish depression, never ever mentioning that In The Kingdom 19 offended him in any way, and he woudl definitely say so if it did.

rock on.

TheMadcapLaughs 12.17.2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Yeah doing a cover of Burning Up is totally understandable. I dunno how madcaplaughs can see it as not being insensitive. Especially if it was true that Watt didn't know the subject matter.

its just my opinion. thats the kind of shit sonic youth were singing about at the time; car accidents, murder, violence, and death. like someone stated earlier, watt said playing with sonic youth after accident was one of the things that made him start to feel normal again. and like you said, they are still friends after all. so how offended could he be?

TheMadcapLaughs 12.17.2012 03:26 PM

although i do appreciate this original topic. its better than the name your top 10 sonic youth tracks we've done million times