Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Next SY Purchase? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14975)

biggest muff 07.23.2007 10:06 PM

Next SY Purchase?

Hokay. So.

At the moment I own Bad Moon Rising, Dirty, Goo, Sister, Daydream Nation, Sonic Youth, SYR 1, SYR 3, SYR 6, and Texas 1986: Live at the Continental Club. (Wow. That looks like a lot more than it feels like.)

What should I look for next? Obviously, I don't have any of the stuff from recent years (that is, 00's), so should I look into those? I hear good things about Sonic Nurse, though Murray Street and Rather Ripped seem to have certain things about them that are attractive as well.

It's tough to say which of the albums/eras I prefer - they're all so different. I like Sister more than Daydream Nation, if that's helpful. I haven't listened to Goo enough yet to really say where I stand on it. Dirty is an excellent rock and roll album, but to me it's still fairly accessible - I could use a bit more noise. The SYR releases are cool but not my favorites.

Then again, I have no solo stuff from anyone. A friend recommened that I should look into Thurston's stuff. Worthwhile? Yesno?

Thanks in advance.

total-trash 07.23.2007 10:12 PM

you should look into experimental jet set trash and no star. people don't usually mention it when talking about sonic youth's best albums. but i think it's fantastic. well worth a purchase.

Bal 07.24.2007 01:23 AM

get evol.
and silver sessions (for jason knuth)
oh yeah and dont forget about washing machine!

zedius 07.24.2007 01:37 AM

My vote's for sonic nurse.

And yeah, I got the thurston moore solo recently and it's pretty fantastic.

Ciccone youth also has its high points. Master Dik is basically a Ciccone Youth, from what I can tell. Ciccone has no stereo sanctitys or white crosses though. It's mostly an experimental instrumental thing.

youthoftomorrow 07.24.2007 02:40 AM

in this order:

EVOL (absolutely essential, my second favorite SY album)
Sonic Nurse (best of the newer stuff)
Silver Session (if you can find it)
Washing Machine

and after that, it doesn't matter much. Murray Street isn't bad, Rather Ripped isn't much good, EJSTNS is mostly trash.

nicfit 07.24.2007 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youthoftomorrow
EJSTNS is mostly trash.

...but experimental, jet set, and no star too!

sonicl 07.24.2007 02:57 AM

If you're going to look at solo stuff, I'd recommend that you look at Lee's before Thurston's. His stuff is more consistently good, whereas Thurston has released a few things that are less than brilliant.

If you want a recommendation, try Amarillo Ramp (for Robert Smithson) or something by Text of Light.

Thurston-wise, the Bark Haze CD is my current favourite.

_slavo_ 07.24.2007 03:32 AM

How could you live without EVOL until now?

Sonic Max 07.24.2007 01:45 PM

Evol is fucking fantastic bro.

k-krack 07.24.2007 01:52 PM

Just get all the studio albums before you worry about all the side-projects and one-offs and stuff.
First off: get some '00s stuff. I love Nurse, probably more than Murray Street even! Though both are fantastic albums.
Rather Ripped is also great, despite all the negativity around here towards it. I'm sure in four years, after a couple more albums, they'll be saying it's sweet, bu the new aalbum sucks...

Then get Confusion is Sex!!! You need it!!!

The rest will fall into place.

zedius 07.24.2007 02:23 PM

I haven't heard Evol yet. This thread's convincing me to buy more cds, but I'm broke! Fuck you thread :mad:

balohna 07.24.2007 04:14 PM

Yeah, get EVOL and Sonic Nurse for sure.

Disgruntled Youth 07.24.2007 04:30 PM

Washing Mashine, Evol, & A Thousand Leaves!!! fuck I can't believe on one said a 1000.