Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "My pubes are in The New Yorker!" - a Cat Power interview (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9079)

nicfit 12.18.2006 05:12 AM

"My pubes are in The New Yorker!" - a Cat Power interview

http://www.oceandrive.com/hybrid/arc...gic/index.html

thanks to the great www.rbally.net

davenotdead 12.18.2006 05:21 AM

so it was her....she was drunk out of her face...it didnt look at all like her...

sun city girl 12.18.2006 07:03 AM

is it this one?

screamingskull 12.18.2006 08:24 AM

yeah, im liking her less and less at the moment.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 12.18.2006 09:10 AM

id hit that

sonicl 12.18.2006 09:28 AM

I've seen whores at Kings Cross looking better than that. She looks like she could be carrying any number of unpleasant diseases.

tesla69 12.18.2006 09:57 AM

girl was as messed up as we figured. the picture with the jogging soldiers is weird.

finding nobody 12.18.2006 01:39 PM

Im happy to hear she's sober. Im curious to hear her first sober album

atari 2600 12.18.2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
Im happy to hear she's sober. Im curious to hear her first sober album

Yeah, right...so many sober people live in South Beach in Miami.

Please, finding nobody, after all, you live in Florida yourself.

First, there's articles about her being an alcoholic (a well-worn media ephemism for any number of celebrity cross-addictions) as a plausible reason why she rivals the infamous Sly Stone in missing gigs and so on, then we hear about how she was gonna kill herself, and now she's "getting sober." If she truly is bringing herself back from the brink of the abyss then I'm happy for her, but, nonetheless, all signs do point to making any reasonable person's bullshit detector sound loudly.

She looked very geeked during her last televised performance on Conan a few weeks ago. Told ya she was a coke/crack head. At the very least she's an MDMA abuser/boozehound.

I'm very disillusioned with Chan for her involvement with the De Beers corporation and consider it a red flag, red herring or otherwise significant circumstance in both her life and musical career. I'm not as angry as I am very concerned about what drove her to such a horrid choice as a platform for her music and a payday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPODOUc8TRI

It's also disillusioning that after repeated postings of this information that I've never received even one iota of feedback here regarding these recent and very troubling Cat Power developments. Obviously, no one here cares due to a combination of two reasons: ignorance and apathy.

I mean...why get the fucking cart before the horse?
So many of you feel so strongly about animal rights, why not feel some outrage over human rights abuses?
At the very least, express that you are also very worried about Chan and the choices she is making.

To be clear, I don't care how many drugs she does; as long as her abuse is not immediately life-threatening, I see no problem, but rather just a personal choice. Just don't talk out of the side of your neck about not doing them if you are going to do them. And for the love of God, do not ever partner with historically genocidal multinational corporations.
She did a commercial for De Beers!

Something is not right about that. She needs money too bad for expensive habits to keep up with the extremely wealthy Joneses of South Beach...end of story.

sonikold 12.18.2006 03:24 PM

she seemed to be doing fine at bonnaroo, she was in pretty rough shape for a while, but seems to be taking care of herself now. she still stopped in the middle of a couple songs, but 'he war' is a really long song, i don't blame her, i didn't really want to listen to her play the whole song either. she is pretty unrecognizable in that photo, though. yikes!

Danny Himself 12.18.2006 03:26 PM

Chan's gotta pay the bills, baby. I'd do a beer commercial if I was going to get paid.

atari 2600 12.18.2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Chan's gotta pay the bills, baby. I'd do a beer commercial if I was going to get paid.

It's a De Beers commercial for diamonds, not a "beer commercial," and you sir, as always, are an idiot.

That last part there goes without saying, so maybe I shouldn't have, but, as you can see, I stated it anyway.

finding nobody 12.18.2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Yeah, right...so many sober people live in South Beach in Miami.

Please, finding nobody, after all, you live in Florida yourself.

This is true. Fl is party central. You have some good points in your post. I guess we can't make our accusations based souly on this article.
But, check this out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IS1W4mF2vbk
An interview with a very fucked up Chan. Recorded around the time of Moon Pix

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dk6qD1Uh4PQ
More recent, looking much better, more healthy and less fucked up.

pulsar 12.18.2006 03:57 PM

this argument is based on such idealistic morals that it's making me sick. i mean really, does this do any harm to her music?

Savage Clone 12.18.2006 04:05 PM

To my mind, the outrage would be better directed in another direction; that is, how an extremely subpar guitarist with a seriously annoying voice and a reputation (coming from even her biggest fans) for putting on some of the worst live shows imaginable on a very regular basis could have achieved a high enough profile to be courted for ad music from a diamond company in the first place.

atari 2600 12.18.2006 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulsar
this argument is based on such idealistic morals that it's making me sick. i mean really, does this do any harm to her music?

Idealistic morals? Whatever. Chan Marshall has plenty of other opportunities and ways to make money. You are squarely in the apathetic category with a smidgen of ignorance thrown in for good measure.

Let me guess, you're a vegetarian like Savage Clone, but you couldn't give a rat's ass for people enslaved by apartheid, caught up in civil wars for centuries, and even killed for rights to land for the mining of precious stones and metals.

By the way, computer and electronics manufacturers also mine in Africa for non-precious resources and metals for parts and this also contributes to much of the strife on the continent. Make others aware of this. Write electronics manufacturers and demand change.

Savage Clone 12.18.2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Let me guess, you're a vegetarian like Savage Clone, but you couldn't give a rat's ass for people enslaved by apartheid, caught up in civil wars for centuries, and even killed for rights to land for the mining of precious stones and metals.

Yeah, and all this crap is totally within my power to stop too.
It's all my fault that it continues because I have made a personal and completely non-evangelical choice on what I eat for dinner.

Seriously.

Nice logical jump into oblivion there.

SynthethicalY 12.18.2006 04:28 PM

I never really heard anything from cat power.

atari 2600 12.18.2006 04:29 PM

Oh, so you do give a rat's ass, you just thought it served Justice and Truth better to be a smart-ass.

It's all within your power. You have a will, so use it.
Stop being a cry-baby with a victim's mentality.

---
JL: Because basically there are two types of people in the world: people who are confident because they know they have the ability to create, and then people who have been demoralised, who have no confidence in themselves because they have been told they have no creative ability, but must just take orders. The Establishment likes people who take no responsibility and cannot respect themselves.
- John Lennon, 1971 "lost" interview by Tariq Ali and Robin Blackburn

pulsar 12.18.2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Idealistic morals? Whatever. Chan Marshall has plenty of other opportunities and ways to make money. You are squarely in the apathetic category with a smidgen of ignorance thrown in for good measure.

By the way, computer and electronics manufacturers also mine in Africa for non-precious resources and metals for parts and this also contributes to much of the strife on the continent. Make others aware of this. Write electronics manufacturers and demand change.

I love this pathetic nonsense you're making up. The right mixture of boredom of junk to become a screenwriter for these soap operas.

atari 2600 12.18.2006 04:33 PM

I can write about the truth because I care about it. You can write about nothing because you care about nothing.

You are attacking someone that cares about the truth and tries to spread the word.

Sounds like fascist behavior to me to be so perturbed, but most likely it's just that you so completely in fear and denial that you feel so threatened by the truth as to attack me just for writing it.

You're a true lover of freedom and civil liberty.:rolleyes:

Savage Clone 12.18.2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Oh, so you do give a rat's ass, you just thought it served Justice and Truth better to be a smart-ass.

It's all within your power. You have a will, so use it.
Stop being a cry-baby and a victim.

I wasn't being a crybaby, I was being a realist. I am one person. One person with pockets that are not deep and zero influence. I spend my money at the places I want to support and I don't buy stuff from people whose actions I find objectionable, but other than that, I can't really stop anyone from doing anything. Neither can you. The only decisions I can make are those regarding my own behavior and my own choices.
If you have this "power" at your disposal, how come you have anything to bitch about at all? Why would you have not simply already made those changes you see as being "for the better?"

Yeesh.

atari 2600 12.18.2006 04:37 PM

You can stop being such a cad and call a spade a spade like I am, but instead you feel the need to start shit with me to discredit my words.

It's the same old bullshit as always.

You all are such total jerks and losers.

You can have your pathetically feeble and boring board back now, I'm done posting for a few more days.

Savage Clone 12.18.2006 04:42 PM

I wasn't trying to "discredit you," I just saw your rhetoric as a little strident and more than a little sanctimonious and simplistic.
Sorry to have ruffled your feathers. I know you hate when people impede your progress by sidetracking you with semantic minutia when you're trying to save the goddamned planet.

If it helps you, I have never bought a diamond in my entire life.

atari 2600 12.18.2006 04:46 PM

I can understand "sanctimonious" and "simplistic" as valid criticisms. I am writing on a message board so I am trying to keep the message urgent, but simple.

For Chrissakes, The Beatles had their records burned for less. One would think that at least some Cat Power fans would be upset by this.

Here it is again, urgently & simply:

1. Artists that allow De Beers to use their music in diamond ads have no conscience or at the very least are going through some serious shit and they need help.
For the life of me, I don't see how there can be any valid criticism of this point.

2. You could have not been such a cad and just have called a spade a spade just as I have, but instead you feel the need to start shit with me to discredit my words. Any other board member could have written a topic with the same information I have provided and would not be met with such derision. It's not my fault that my words make you feel like an idiot; that's your fault.

3. I can write about the truth because I care about it. In my emprical experience, you on the other hand, can write about nothing meaningful because you care about nothing meaningful, or at least as you put it, you don't see how your view can help change anything. So, as a result, you'd rather be a smart-ass than give a rat's ass.

See ya later...

Savage Clone 12.18.2006 04:51 PM

Allow me to repeat:
I do not buy diamonds. How much more plain can I be? My choices have not had much impact on the wedding industry or jewelers in general.
Your tirade should have had a little more on the subject of the effects of diamond mining (maybe even a little lesson on "conflict diamonds," which is as interesting a story as it is appalling) and a little less on the personal remarks which may or may not be valid or even have anything to do with the arguments you are trying to make.

Seriously, had I been able to get that you were talking in a general sense about the evils of the diamond trade as opposed to making personal judgments on the validity of the motivations behind some fellow boardies' missives, I might not have reacted so strongly in the first place. I may have even backed you up in some way.

pulsar 12.18.2006 04:58 PM

To be honest Atari you're making a statement and I agree with it whole-heartly. And even if Chan Marshall is one of the persons, who don't care - i don't think that John Lennon's theory of having to classes works - of what she is earning her money with, does it do harm to records like "Moon Pix"?

By the way, when you quote John Lennon, you've got to be aware that he was a racist. Just on a sidenote.

Savage Clone 12.18.2006 04:58 PM

Quote:

3. I can write about the truth because I care about it. In my emprical experience, you on the other hand, can write about nothing meaningful because you care about nothing meaningful, or at least as you put it, you don't see how your view can change anything. So, as a result, you'd rather be a smart-ass than give a rat's ass.

And look how it works out; we both have opinions, and we are even both on the same side of the issue. And check it out; since neither one of us actually OWN a diamond mining operation, nor do either of us have any influence on this particular facet of the world economy, it still goes on.
Looks like you actually are more effective than me. Boy, is my face red.

Savage Clone 12.18.2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

of what she is earning her money with, does it do harm to records like "Moon Pix"?

Only aesthetically.

SynthethicalY 12.18.2006 05:00 PM

John Lenon was a racist? I am shocked and apalled.

atari 2600 12.18.2006 05:06 PM

I won't dignify pulsar's comment with a response.

Your excuses, Savage Clone, however valid they may seem, are not meaningful.

Change begins with leading by example and in doing so, utilizing one's right to free speech. (I'll also remind you that fortunately, we live in a representative democracy. Unfortunately, apathetic people such as yourself are ruining in for all the rest of us. The apathetic and ignorant undermine our efforts as those who care try vigilantly to keep a leash on the government).
And since there is already a growing movement calling for sweeping reforms throughout Africa due to chronic human rights abuses caused by mining, there are many worthwhile outlets for activism that are affecting some change in Africa. Every voice and every bit of support counts.

Apathy is easy. You just do nothing. And blame everyone else.

Savage Clone 12.18.2006 05:13 PM

I
Do
Not
Buy
Diamonds.

Jesus fucking christ.
Just because I don't go around on a high horse telling everyone what they should be doing doesn't mean I haven't made a few choices on what I will or won't spend my money on.

Money or the lack thereof is the only thing that a large corporation reponds to.

If I "cared about nothing," why would I engage you in the first place?

Part of "leading by example" is not being a know-it-all, condescending jackass. If you want people to be sympathetic to your views (and especially if you truly want to get someone to change their behavior), why would you start off my making generalizations about them and making tangential remarks about their personal lives that may or may not have anything to do with the point you are trying to make?

Yeah, that approach wins tons of converts. It also sure doesn't give any ammunition to the kind of people who like to point at activists on the left and dismiss them as a bunch of snooty elitists who like to talk down to people.

pulsar 12.18.2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
John Lenon was a racist? I am shocked and apalled.

"the song isn't a racist song it is about women being treated as black slaves, it was actually a quote by yoko ono, but john was racist the beatles wrote racist songs non were ever published but there are some that made it on to bootlegs, things like "white power", "no pakistanies" and "back to the commonwelth", white power was john the other two were pauls songs"

Those pieces were recorded after the India trip, which happened in 1966/67, I think in 1968.

atari 2600 12.18.2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
If I "cared about nothing," why would I engage you in the first place?

Per the usual, you engaged me to be a smart-ass and try to discredit my words. Your continued debate can be chalked up to boredom and saving face, mostly boredom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Part of "leading by example" is not being a know-it-all, condescending jackass.

This is the pot calling the kettle black. You're the person that could have just agreed and called a spade a spade along with me. Again, it's not my fault if my words make you feel insecure or that you're compelled to be a contrarian as a knee-jerk response to try and come off as superior.

That's it...

this is over...

SynthethicalY 12.18.2006 05:17 PM

I have to look that up, so his whole peace in the world thing was just for appearances then?do you have the songs?

nicfit 12.18.2006 05:19 PM

I think this is possibly the most "serious" discussion a thread with "pubes" in its title started. Besides, how comes every fuc*in' thread I start, no matter what's in it, ends up in a sort of dialectic blackhole? Enjoy your sinking guys. :)

Savage Clone 12.18.2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

You engaged me to be a smart-ass and try to discredit my words.

Actually, I engaged you because you somehow made a link between my choice to be a vegetarian and the perpetuation of the evils of the diamond trade, neither of which has anything to do with the other. You also made this comment when I had said nothing to provoke it besides a snide comment about whether or not I thought Chan's music was any good. The tone of personal attack and dismissiveness started with you, and you know it. All I did was point out the fact that your rhetoric was not really designed to make anyone sympathetic towards your point of view, which I maintain to be true, and which you continue to make even more apparent with each post you make.

pulsar 12.18.2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

I have to look that up, so his whole peace in the world thing was just for appearances then?do you have the songs?

Maybe he had his beliefs concerning world peace, but with the aspect of his own race towering above the blacks. A friend of mine once played these tracks to me and they are really scary, even though authentic.

SynthethicalY 12.18.2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Maybe he had his beliefs concerning world peace, but with the aspect of his own race towering above the blacks. A friend of mine once played these tracks to me and they are really scary, even though authentic.

I have to listen to these songs. Or I won't be able to sleep.

Hey savage have you seen my avatar?

Savage Clone 12.18.2006 05:27 PM

Quote:

Hey savage have you seen my avatar?

Yeah. The first time I saw it was 1986.