Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Severian's electronic music gastropub (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=114509)

Severian 05.14.2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
don't like to argue with people on the internet cause there is no real use but what you write is not really true. or lets put it this way: it's complete bullshit.
music comes down to taste, but koze's music is just way too overrated and this is kinda pissing me off. its a very well produced album, and it's great, but definetly not as good as you put it.
there's so many lesser known artists that make equally good (or better ?) house/techno (whatever electronic dance music), but are not praised by the press, so most people who don't dig deep, don't hear about them. and that is a shame.

and well. pick up is one of the lamest tunes of this year. let's say, YOU had written that tune in yr bedroom (and lets be honest here, that is possible cause that's just 3 loops and a vocal sample), NO ONE on earth would give a flying fuck about it, cause that sound was so overdone between '96 and '98, that no one wanted to hear another filter house toon in their entire life ever again...


Do a search for ďDJ KozeĒ in this forum and let me know who else has mentioned him.

I guess Pitchfork gave his new album a good rating, but thatís a first as far as I know. Heís certainly never come up in Rolling Stone.

Itís weird that you say heís overrated. I mention him all the time because until pretty recently itís seemed to me that the opposite is true.

But yeah opinion and stuffs.
I guess I need to preface every opinion statement I make with ďIMHOĒ or something so people wonít get confused and think Iím talking about applying the scientific method to a series of tests to end up with the words I produce.

Severian 05.14.2018 01:08 PM

“I don’t like to argue with people” but ima argue with you about something that I’m insisting is a matter of opinion, and also insist that your opinion on it is wrong. Derp.

Bal 05.14.2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Do a search for ďDJ KozeĒ in this forum and let me know who else has mentioned him.

I guess Pitchfork gave his new album a good rating, but thatís a first as far as I know. Heís certainly never come up in Rolling Stone.

Itís weird that you say heís overrated. I mention him all the time because until pretty recently itís seemed to me that the opposite is true.


dude. this is a sonic youth forum. it makes total sense that people don't know him :)
go to any electronic music site (RA, FACT, XL8R whatnot..) and all of them are going wild about that album, especially "pick up".. (and they always were going wild about anything he ever did, including pitchfork.. and this is what pisses me off actually) i don't mind if you call it the album of the century - i'm just trying to point out, that this is an overstatement, and you'd agree if you knew some lesser hyped stuff... (and yes, i read yr older comments)

peas!

Severian 05.14.2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
dude. this is a sonic youth forum. it makes total sense that people don't know him :)
go to any electronic music site (RA, FACT, XL8R whatnot..) and all of them are going wild about that album, especially "pick up".. (and they always were going wild about anything he ever did, including pitchfork.. and this is what pisses me off actually) i don't mind if you call it the album of the century - i'm just trying to point out, that this is an overstatement, and you'd agree if you knew some lesser hyped stuff... (and yes, i read yr older comments)

peas!


But pick up is easily the worst song heís made as Koze. Itís just Daft Punk and Gladys Knight. Seriously.

I love the album, but not that song. Itís OK, but it doesnít have the ďKozinessĒ that makes his other work so thrilling to me. It sounds derivative and overlong.

I didnít know anyone have a shit about him. Honestly. I read RA here and there, and have read the other mags/pubs you mentioned, but I donít recall hearing a vocal outpouring of support for him. Iím not sure, but I think Knock Knock is the first time P-fork has given him ďbest new musicĒ designation.

So, this is news to me.
I only really started getting into electronic music (beyond a few artists like RDJ, Autechre, Mouse on Mars, Boards, etc.) within the last five years. It being a genre Iím invested in enough to start a thread about is a fairly recent development. And that development was boosted by hearing ďAmygdala,Ē which is the real gem in his discog. Better than this album (which is indeed my favorite of 2018 so far) by far.

But I know heís not the cutting cutting edge. He just does whimsica house music really beautifully. Itís not really new, itís just extremely unique ó his approach to remixes specifically. None of his peers, like Todd Terje and Kid Kanevil and Kornell Kovacs, sound or feel like Koze. And he didnít always kick ass like this.

Anyway... sounds like you have some recommendations for me, electronic music wise, yeah? Letís hear Ďem. Thatís what this thread is for... to talk and learn about electro-type-shit we might be missing out on. So, with zero snark, I ask you ó please enlighten me.

Severian 05.14.2018 05:00 PM

Wait, did I say “Knock Knock” was one of the best albums of the century? I did not mean that. I must not have been paying attention. It’s far too early to make a claim like that — even for the decade. I just like it more than any full album of 2018.

Now, “Amygdala” is absolutely one of the best albums of the decade. (IMHO, not stating facts, stating opinion, which should be obvious but saying it anyway)

Bal 05.15.2018 01:52 AM

actually Koze's previous album was 'best new music' on pitchfork as well - but i was just exaggerating there with the 'album of the century' comment - you wrote 'album of the decade' i think :)
i would recommend you to start here, with this very very cool (and short) documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjV3PDi3KE8
His latest album - under his alias Mr. Fingers - was just released a few weeks ago. absolute legend but hardly any press...

peas and love!

Severian 05.15.2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
actually Koze's previous album was 'best new music' on pitchfork as well - but i was just exaggerating there with the 'album of the century' comment - you wrote 'album of the decade' i think :)
i would recommend you to start here, with this very very cool (and short) documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjV3PDi3KE8
His latest album - under his alias Mr. Fingers - was just released a few weeks ago. absolute legend but hardly any press...

peas and love!


You’re a liar. His last album was “Amygdala” and it got like a 7.0 on their arbitrary numeric rating system which I only approve of when I agree with (should have been a goddamn 9.0+). Definitely not “BNM.” Maybe you’re thinking of the remix album from a couple years ago? Or his DJ Kicks? Or the Pampa Records Vol. 1 compilation?

Not “Amygdala” though. That was his last album and it was criminally slept on by everyone everywhere.

Also, I’ve got “Pick up” playing in my car right now and it does knock. It's just derivative, and sounds like a million other songs, but it’s still good.

I’d die and go to heaven if I listened to this on E.

The Soup Nazi 05.15.2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Iíd die and go to heaven if I listened to this on E.


 

Bal 05.16.2018 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Youíre a liar.

i am a liar in many cases. but not in this one. :)
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...koze-amygdala/

check out that video i posted. there's no dj koze without Larry.

Severian 05.16.2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
i am a liar in many cases. but not in this one. :)
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...koze-amygdala/

check out that video i posted. there's no dj koze without Larry.


:o

I stand corrected.

I have false memories of being infuriated by seeing the review when it first came out.

(Of course they have been known to change reviews to make themselves look cooler, but I guess I believe you)

The Soup Nazi 05.17.2018 01:13 PM

Goddammit, who gives a flying fuck what rating Pitchfork gives an album? Sure, I agreed that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot deserved a perfect 10, but NYC Ghosts & Flowers' ZERO POINT ZERO pretty much cancels that out. Plus, this is the same retarded website that placed fucking Radiohead albums as #1 of the '90s and the '00s.

NEW RULE: Let's mention Pitchfork only if and when they break news or post a cool exclusive interview or a nice pic I can use on the torrent announcements thread or summat.

guest 06.03.2018 12:31 AM

gabor lazar put out a record with beats and it's sick.


the rezzett lp on trilogy tapes is xxxxcellent


jung an tagen's newie is really sick too.






autechre continue to negate everything though.

Severian 06.03.2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Goddammit, who gives a flying fuck what rating Pitchfork gives an album? Sure, I agreed that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot deserved a perfect 10, but NYC Ghosts & Flowers' ZERO POINT ZERO pretty much cancels that out. Plus, this is the same retarded website that placed fucking Radiohead albums as #1 of the '90s and the '00s.

NEW RULE: Let's mention Pitchfork only if and when they break news or post a cool exclusive interview or a nice pic I can use on the torrent announcements thread or summat.


Ok. I mean, Iíll try.

Problem is they are the tastemaking market. So if weíre talking about whether or not DJ Koze has been given due props by US publications, itís hard to not mention fork.

Severian 06.03.2018 10:34 AM

New Oneohtrix Point Never not as good as “Garden of Delete.”

_slavo_ 06.04.2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
New Oneohtrix Point Never not as good as ďGarden of Delete.Ē


In other words, it's a pile of dog shit.

_slavo_ 06.04.2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
gabor lazar put out a record with beats and it's sick.



I'm with you on this one. Gabor Lazar rules and this record is a pleasant surprise.

selkcip 07.15.2018 08:57 AM

The new OPN is infinitely more listenable than God.. different strokes?

some recent highlights:
https://mylarmelodies.bandcamp.com/a...tacult-59-live
https://nathanmoody.bandcamp.com/album/tudes-i-blue-box
https://jimorourkenwm.bandcamp.com/a...ike-its-winter
https://ellirecords.bandcamp.com/album/spectra
https://seilrecords.bandcamp.com/album/would

selkcip 07.15.2018 09:00 AM

y'all sleeping on Autechre NTS sessions 1-3 ???

sheee-it

Severian 07.15.2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selkcip
y'all sleeping on Autechre NTS sessions 1-3 ???

sheee-it


I havenít had a chance to listen in its entirety yet. Goddamn me. But yeah, I need to get on that.

The Soup Nazi 07.16.2018 11:43 PM

Yeah this is all nice and dandy but HOW COULD YOU DEGENERATES NOT MENTION THERE'S A NEW LAUREL HALO RELEASE. How?!

 


http://www.laurelhalo.com/

https://www.latency.fr/catalogue/raw-silk-uncut-wood

https://honestjons.com/shop/artist/L...ilk_Uncut_Wood

https://latencyrecordings.bandcamp.c...ilk-uncut-wood

This pub is useless!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth