Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Poor Beckham (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9732)

SynthethicalY 01.10.2007 05:02 PM

Poor Beckham

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...1_%5BFeed%5D-8

Pookie 01.10.2007 05:17 PM

Damn, I thought maybe Victoria had broken a nail.

SynthethicalY 01.12.2007 01:30 AM

Nevermind.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

pantophobia 01.12.2007 01:41 AM

yeah poor beckham

he's gonna make $1.65 every second
1 Mil a week

250 Mil in total

must be nice to be employed, he must have a good monster.com representative to get dough like that

pantophobia 01.12.2007 01:44 AM

the question has been for years when would he made the jump

seems pretty late in his career to make a move like this, but then again the MLS is desperate, and it's uncertain if the home grown talent here is even at their best good enough to take down a 31 year old beckham

the ikara cult 01.12.2007 02:23 AM

"its not for the money"
ho ho. After the world cup you could see his career was over, and this is the final nail in the coffin. At least it means there will be no chance of him playing for England again.

Пятхъдесят Шест 01.12.2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
the question has been for years when would he made the jump

seems pretty late in his career to make a move like this, but then again the MLS is desperate, and it's uncertain if the home grown talent here is even at their best good enough to take down a 31 year old beckham

You must not watch a whole lot of MLS.

Al Cohol III 01.13.2007 06:36 AM

what? mourinho going to real madrid??

Destroy Rock 'n' Roll 01.13.2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Cohol III
what? mourinho going to real madrid??

No, he isn't.

Jose quashed those rumours yesterday, a shame really...

PAULYBEE2656 01.13.2007 07:44 AM

fuck beckham. let him go and earn his money in the us. he couldve gone home and played for the tottenham but nooo, london is too good for victoria now. i wonder who wears the pants in tha relationship..................

seriously tho, hope he doeswell out there in the states playing saccar! he deserves a break from the daily regime of being shown up by his team mates and opposition. becks was a great player but i think his halo has gone slightly crooked lately and he knows it!

Пятхъдесят Шест 01.13.2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656

seriously tho, hope he doeswell out there in the states playing saccar! he deserves a break from the daily regime of being shown up by his team mates and opposition. becks was a great player but i think his halo has gone slightly crooked lately and he knows it!

With that being said, he could not of joined a more talented team, by MLS standards. The Galaxy are the leagues most underachieving squads. It will be interesting to say the least. I really don't like the Galaxy, but for the sake of MLS I hope this is a success. Perhaps they can make something of it, much like the old North American Soccer League did with the New York Cosmos, bringing in international stars to make it a bit more exciting.

Something else that may have an affect on his playing is the all around atmosphere or lack there of for MLS games.

Look at his current pitch, Santiago Bernabeu:

And LA's Home Depot Center (which is rarely as full as it looks here):

It should be noted that season ticket sales around the league have been rising in recent years, and got a huge boost with this transfer.

jon boy 01.13.2007 06:11 PM

i think he will be injured in his first match. what do you think?

Hip Priest 01.13.2007 07:20 PM

He'll be injured early on, he'll make a comeback but not play very well, he'll last under two years, he'll make a couple of cameo appearances in films, no-one will care about his acting at all, then he'll come back to the UK and play for either Celtic in Scotland or Newcastle in England, he'll somehow be in the squad for the 2010 World Cup where he'll fail miserably, then he'll play his final year for a newly promoted Premiership team who'll be relegated, then he'll become a not very good football pundit for ITV, sitting alongside Very Terribles and the gang, then he'll get his own chat show and 'interview' his long-forgotten-about wife, then he'll finally slip into obscurity only to re-emerge a few years later as host of the BBC's Saturday National Lottery show.

You read it here first.

Пятхъдесят Шест 01.13.2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
He'll be injured early on, he'll make a comeback but not play very well, he'll last under two years, then he'll come back to the UK and play for either Celtic in Scotland or Newcastle in England, he'll somehow be in the squad for the 2010 World Cup where he'll fail miserably, then he'll play his final year for a newly promoted Premiership team who'll be relegated, then he'll become a not very good football pundit for ITV, sitting alongside Very Terribles and the gang, then he'll get his own chat show and interview his long-forgotten-about wife, then he'll finally slip into obscurity only to re-emerge a few years later as host of the BBC's Saturday National Lottery show.

You read it here first.

As long inbetween the injury and his return to the UK is makes the MLS a tad bit more interesting, I'll be happy.

Hip Priest 01.13.2007 07:48 PM

His presence might encourage other big names to try their hand in the league, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Пятхъдесят Шест 01.13.2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
His presence might encourage other big names to try their hand in the league, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Yes, this is what I'm hoping for.

Danny Himself 01.13.2007 08:01 PM

So, who's next? Michael Owen?

Пятхъдесят Шест 01.13.2007 08:08 PM

Yes, and he'll transfer to Kansas City.

Danny Himself 01.13.2007 08:19 PM

Dallas Burn, man. We'll see him partying with Crypto in Heat Magazine.

pokkeherrie 01.13.2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Dallas Burn, man. We'll see him partying with Crypto in Heat Magazine.

Haha... actually, Edgar Davids is rumoured to move to some Dallas team. He's even more over-the-hill than Beckham though, but at least he won't be very expensive.

It would've been more interesting to see Becks return to the Premier League and try to fight his way back into the national team, but if I were English I'm not sure if I'd like to have seen him succeed in doing that.

But $250 million!?? There's not a single footballer earning that much money in any of the European leagues, so I'm sure they could've lured a few younger players with such an amount... yet instead they choose to spend it all on probably the only soccer player most Americans have heard of.

edit: oh wait, i just read the article and it said that part of the 250$ million is from "commercial endorsements"