Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

wellcharge 12.27.2009 10:11 AM

ebert and roper review of freddy got fingered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxGOwjxxNbE

my favorite is them saying tom green should be flipping burgers, maybe, but coming from guys who have had a decades long career doing film reviews that are usually only 3 sentences long it seems ridiculous.

atsonicpark 12.27.2009 10:12 AM

yeah funny stuff

looking glass spectacle 12.28.2009 12:35 AM

almost the best movie ever. my only disappointment was the lack of cocaine use.

wellcharge 12.28.2009 09:05 AM

no way in hell he'll ever compare to basil rathbone, but i still want to see it

atsonicpark 12.28.2009 10:23 AM

frame-up - 10/10

Rob Instigator 12.28.2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
ebert and roper review of freddy got fingered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxGOwjxxNbE

my favorite is them saying tom green should be flipping burgers, maybe, but coming from guys who have had a decades long career doing film reviews that are usually only 3 sentences long it seems ridiculous.

Siskel & Ebert did reviews for the Chicago Tribune and the Sun Times, full, lengthy, pithy reviews, well written, for three decades.

go read.

Rob Instigator 12.28.2009 10:36 AM

I fucking hate tom green and cannot wait until he dies.

noisereductions 12.28.2009 10:52 AM

Rob's in a bad mood. But I won't fall for it.

watched BECAUSE I SAID SO last night. I like that Mandy Adams.

looking glass spectacle 12.28.2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
no way in hell he'll ever compare to basil rathbone, but i still want to see it

bah, rathbone poppycock. this holmes' violin playing jumps with a gypsy beat that is in stark contrast to the former's sterile intellectualism. although the syringe never appeared on screen, downey's portrayal of holmes as a strung out, quivering bundle of neuroses has landed closer to the mark even as it overcorrects for rathbone's shortcomings. oh, and the fisticuffs! i can't remember rathbone ever engaging in fisticuffs.

at any rate, guy ritchie's serlock holmes has suceeded in renewing my interest in a series of books i have not read since junior high school.

atsonicpark 12.28.2009 11:22 AM

Guy Ritchie still has a career? Wild, will have to check this out.

http://img.hottopic.com/is/image/HotTopic/170010_hi?wid=700&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,0&op_sharpen=1&r esMode=bicub&op_usm=0.0,0.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

wellcharge 12.28.2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking glass spectacle
bah, rathbone poppycock. this holmes' violin playing jumps with a gypsy beat that is in stark contrast to the former's sterile intellectualism. although the syringe never appeared on screen, downey's portrayal of holmes as a strung out, quivering bundle of neuroses has landed closer to the mark even as it overcorrects for rathbone's shortcomings. oh, and the fisticuffs! i can't remember rathbone ever engaging in fisticuffs.

at any rate, guy ritchie's serlock holmes has suceeded in renewing my interest in a series of books i have not read since junior high school.

so a heavy-handed director with no sense of subtlety has made a film where a guy acts like he's on drugs and hits people,brilliant

it'll probably be sort of good, but likely not in the top 10,000 holmes films

Savage Clone 12.28.2009 11:50 AM

Inglourious Basterds (thoroughly enjoyed, aside from too-modern music being used)

Make Them Die Slowly (OK, it's an Italian cannibal movie. About what I expected)

Rob Instigator 12.28.2009 01:45 PM

savage is back!

inglorious is excellent. great flick.

basil rathbone was asskickin for the 40's! ha!

Keeping It Simple 12.28.2009 01:50 PM

The best Holmes, in my opinion, was Jeremy Brett.

atsonicpark 12.28.2009 01:54 PM

Inglorious is a bit of a mess, taking a while to find its voice, but its nearly always an enjoyable mess, despite some weird, uncomfortable inconsistencies in tone-shifting for the first 30 minutes or so. Defintiely Tarantino's best movie since his City on Fire remake. Inspired direction, a SOMEWHAT mature narrative, and some weird little touches (the guitar riff introducing one of the Basterds, for example) kept this movie feeling alive and fun, even with the extremely grim tone. By the way, the star of this movie isn't Brad Pitt, it's Christoph Waltz, who hopefully will win plenty of awards for this role. He's just amazing. On the other hand, Eli Roth looks so out of place in this that it's ridiculous. He took me out of every scene where he had to speak. He was so bad. Wow... Anyway, it's nice how Tarantino casts "big" actors and he doesn't even devote screen time to them for some of the chapters. Also, it's interesting how about 80% of the dialogue is subtitled... it seems like Tarantino actually somewhat respects the intelligence of his audience (and this was his most successful movie, at the same time -- maybe there is hope for mainsteam cinema? Hah...). Also, one conversation that goes on for a good 30 minutes was an example of just amazing writing. In fact, he often stretches some of the dialogue well past the breaking point, and it's beautiful. Also, the music, either by Morricone or by the best Morricone imitator in history (too lazy to look it up currently), is mindblowing. So, yeah, this definitely exceeded my expectations.

Rob Instigator 12.28.2009 01:59 PM

Tarantino just keeps kicking out the jams.

atsonicpark 12.28.2009 02:06 PM

Yeah, except Death Proof is horrible.

I'm not a Tarantino hater, just never saw the big deal. He mixes DePalma, Godard, and Scorsesce into a lightly entertaining bowl. All of his best shots and sequences are stolen. Still, his films are enjoyable for the most part, which is all that really matters.. and they're even ocasionally daring, which is respectful. Most importantly, he brought Sonatine, Chunking Express, and The BEyond to America.

noisereductions 12.28.2009 02:36 PM

I always feel the need to defend DEATH PROOF. But I guess it doesn't matter. I love it. So whatever. I guess I just connected with what he was trying to do.

noisereductions 12.28.2009 02:37 PM

ps, I felt like pretty much every scene in BASTERDS was the best scene in the movie. Amazing.

Derek 12.28.2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Most importantly, he brought Sonatine, Chunking Express, and The BEyond to America.

Really? My respect for him has went up.