Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Severian 02.09.2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
it’s nothing really that far out or anything. your friends are making mountains out of molehills.

people like to do that sometimes to feel they’re in the know or something?

yes, the room is a bad movie. not “so bad it’s good.” it’s just bad. like so much bad art.

but if you’ve ever spent any time in front of a soap opera you’ve basically got it.

also—early van damme? lol.

for the disaster artist you don’t need the source movie as context.

other contexts can be maybe if you’re vaguely familiar with low rent film productions, diy filmmakers, that kind of scene. or maybe if you remember slc punk. or maybe if you’ve ever had strange friends. i don’t know. many points of entry.

“the disaster artist” is worth watching—it’s an interesting story. “the room” is just optional—it’s just a bad diy movie.

just like “ed wood” is better than any of ed wood’s actual crap.

but if you MUST: we found it on youtube. maybe it’s still there. seemed to just been missing the ass.

Nah I’m just gonna watch the Disaster Artist

Ed Wood comparison sealed the deal. Lol. Loved that movie, never seen Plan 9 From Outer Space in its entirety.

Rob Instigator 02.10.2020 12:34 PM

watched yesterday, again. still funnier than European vacation (with the 21 year old actress playing a 14 yr old "Audrey")

ilduclo 02.10.2020 01:47 PM

recent watches

the Gentlemen, new Guy Ritchie, pretty good, send up of aristocracy, good work by Hunnam Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell. Not Snatch or Rock-n-Rolla good, but a nice return to what he does well

Color out of Space. Only watched 15 minutes. A bunch of extraneous nonsense added to a good clean story line, plus an absolutely atrocious intrusive string laden soundtrack, by Colin Stetson (!) Goes to show you that Hollywood really can ruin just about anything

greenlight 02.11.2020 03:13 PM

funny.

_tunic_ 02.12.2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight

funny.

That link don't open, I got this message (if opened on a new tab)
"Forbidden That’s all we know."

It's old movies week here:

(it was on tv a while back when Kirk Douglas passed away)
It's a bit weird, I kept thinking I was watching Ben Hur and was waiting for the carriage race. But the mass scenes were impressive.

Bought a couple more old Kubrick films that I'll need to watch at some point. But I also bought a Hitchcock box with 13 movies on Blurays. Yesterday I saw

Dialogues are outdated (too much preaching and explaining) but the "special effects" were cool especially the finale.

Very cool movie, I liked the dialogues from the kids especially.

_tunic_ 02.12.2020 08:48 AM

With regards to Kirk Douglas and Spartacus, I would recommend anyone to watch Trumbo as a lessonin US history, or at least read about him. Because Kirk made him appear on the credits of Spartacus, the blacklisting of (supposed) communists was terminated.

ilduclo 02.12.2020 09:28 AM

Dalton Trumbo was an interesting guy, that movie, however sucks. Jeez, just fucking awful. Horrible ego trip film by Cranston.

Rob Instigator 02.12.2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

Very cool movie, I liked the dialogues from the kids especially.

https://youtu.be/nWpbFoEUV24

!@#$%! 02.12.2020 10:21 AM

i have not seen trumbo but his story is well known.

the movie that’s fucking horrible is spartacus though. mega-cheeseball. kubrick was right to disown it. kirk douglass was a massive ham and ruined it.

shadow of a doubt however is fucking great! joseph cotten was one of the best actors from that era.

ilduclo 02.12.2020 12:01 PM

I hardly ever recco Woody Allen, but The Front is actually pretty good, and so is the Trumbo documentary.

!@#$%! 02.12.2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
I hardly ever recco Woody Allen, but The Front is actually pretty good,

yeah i’ve seen that one a couple of times, with zero mostel? it was good and funny, though at moments a little on the nose with the message. though allen didn’t direct it, his character here is hilarious.

_tunic_ 02.12.2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

the Trumbo documentary.

Is this the one you're referring to? That's indeed a good one, with his letters read by actors

Earlier today I watched Hitchcock's Rope and fell asleep... possibly woke up by the gun shots towards the end. The Making Of however is interesting though, about how to make a movie about gay people while you're not allowed to speak about it.

ilduclo 02.12.2020 05:33 PM

no, it's this one

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0889671/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_6

greenlight 02.13.2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
That link don't open, I got this message (if opened on a new tab)
"Forbidden That’s all we know."

sorry. it supposed to be something like this

ilduclo 02.13.2020 10:15 AM

“Forbidden, That’s All We Know” is a great film title.

_tunic_ 02.13.2020 10:25 AM

It's probably copyrighted by G$$gle though

!@#$%! 02.13.2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

good trailer, i wanna see that

ilduclo 02.13.2020 12:42 PM

coming up!!

The French Dispatch

https://www.cnet.com/news/wes-anders...patch-trailer/

Peterpuff 02.14.2020 06:01 AM

Jojo Rabbit

Loved it.

!@#$%! 02.14.2020 10:51 AM

been working through the director’s cut of “until the end of the world”

i haven’t had the 5 hours to sit through the whole movie; and therefore: chapters

wenders made this in 19...90? (came out in 91). i’m thinking in today’s world it would have made a glorious tv show. as a movie, 5 hours is too long. as a tv miniseries perhaps it would have had a better structure.

to think of the possibilities and the would have beens...

but i didn’t intend to wax nostalgic about loss. though it can’t be helped, looking at solveig dommartin, no?

ah! anyway...