Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do you have a band????? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=72)

Count Mecha 04.25.2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killthecaliforniagirls
hereīs a link to my band. itīs pretty much like sy... some say too much! :-)

where?

Anyway, here is a link to my band, Moonwatcher. It's like...I dunno. It's unpolished, but fun I think.

DeadDiscoDildo 04.26.2009 02:21 AM

Was that supposed to be an ironic post? Or where the fuck is YOUR link.

killthecaliforniagirls 04.26.2009 09:32 AM

itīs kind of strange but it seems like as someone has deleted my link. maybe the same thing happend to count mecha?! okay my band is called saboteur. if you search for it on myspace you should use the keyword saboteurrr

Count Mecha 04.26.2009 01:00 PM

yeah, same thing happened to me. Apologies.

DeadDiscoDildo 04.27.2009 02:39 PM

I smell a mystery!

Anyways, here's MY band and I just put up two new songs from our upcoming LP 'Baron Von Headless'.

http://www.myspace.com/rememberthatband

Count Mecha 04.28.2009 02:06 AM

Yeah, certainly the early brewing of a conspiracy. I'll try to link mine again...eventually.

I listened to The Harlequins. I liked it, Storms the most particularly. Sounded like three songs in one. Vaguely unpredictable and catchy towards the end. I liked how the guitar seemed slightly overmodulated through the whole song.

I also listened to Saboteur, the extra 'r's' didn't help in the search so through deduction I'm assuming the myspace with the headline 'kill the california girls' is the right one. Certainly sounds like RR era Sonic, but maybe not so copy catish to get worried. The vocals aren't really my style, but they aren't horrible. I can see people being into it. It's all nice sounding, but I don't know if it's daring enough. Whatever that means.

DeadDiscoDildo 04.28.2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Yeah, certainly the early brewing of a conspiracy. I'll try to link mine again...eventually.

I listened to The Harlequins. I liked it, Storms the most particularly. Sounded like three songs in one. Vaguely unpredictable and catchy towards the end. I liked how the guitar seemed slightly overmodulated through the whole song.

Thanks yo!

killthecaliforniagirls 04.29.2009 11:10 AM

hey mecha. thanks for the critc. can you explain why the vocals are not your cup of coffee? i know itīs hard - but maybe it could be very constructive for me.

marleypumpkin 04.29.2009 11:15 AM

2 drummer punk / metal...

http://www.myspace.com/secretcitysewermonsters

noisereductions 04.29.2009 11:28 AM

I keep thinking about my long running fake band, The Candle Ensemble. (fka: Candle) It's a jazz combo that is a different lineup (except for me) every time I feel like making a record. (Not a single note has been recorded yet).

But I'm thinking about making the first album a project via "mail" (or email most likely). Like I'll recruit a drummer to lay down tracks, then email to me, then I add my part to those mp3's and recruit another musician to add to those and so on.

Sounds fun. Maybe I'll organize it in the Summer or something. Who knows. The band has existed since 2004. But like I said, nothing has ever happened with it. haha.

StevOK 04.29.2009 01:07 PM

Just added a new track called "The K Brothers" to my myspace: http://www.myspace.com/stevokmusic

I played around with a snippet of my brother playing guitar.

Count Mecha 04.29.2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killthecaliforniagirls
hey mecha. thanks for the critc. can you explain why the vocals are not your cup of coffee? i know itīs hard - but maybe it could be very constructive for me.

Hmm, I dunno. That's a hard thing to describe. Guess I would say it just isn't the right timber to me. Like the vocals don't service the song the way they should. It lacks a certain emotional caliber. I don't mean to be condescending or anything, who am I to tell anyone how they should sound, but whatever, that's my take on it.

Secret City Sewer Monsters were pretty interesting. I liked how the vocals are pretty much inaudible, don't know if that was intentional or not but I liked it. I probably liked Scaling the Everglades the most. the guitar tone is over the top but that makes it likeable. I usually don't like to say that someone's music makes me think of another band or anything, who wants to hear that they sound like someone else? But that song made me think of these Painteens songs that were in Alien Workshop's Memory Screen. The random moments of woodblock playing (probably a tom rim more likely though) were fun. I also liked I Feel You and Question Desire, assuming they're two different songs (the breaks in the track suggest this). Those songs have pretty neat guitar licks that are delightfully anti-metal if anything. I always kind of disliked the precision of shredding that goes on in most metal. I also like that the drums seem to deviate from the song later in the track.

StevOK's stuff sounds pretty all over the board. All of them sound pretty different from the last one. Rhino Virus demo makes me chuckle, don't know if that's intentional. I Think I liked Untitled Demo 1 the most. I don't really like the beginning, but it goes places that are interesting. Sad Space Machines makes me think of Earthbound, I can't think of which town though. Maybe Twoson, actually I think it's Onette. Sorry for the comparison here too. The wedding song sounds pretty sweet and apt. Fun stuff.

StevOK 04.29.2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

StevOK's stuff sounds pretty all over the board. All of them sound pretty different from the last one. Rhino Virus demo makes me chuckle, don't know if that's intentional. I Think I liked Untitled Demo 1 the most. I don't really like the beginning, but it goes places that are interesting. Sad Space Machines makes me think of Earthbound, I can't think of which town though. Maybe Twoson, actually I think it's Onette. Sorry for the comparison here too. The wedding song sounds pretty sweet and apt. Fun stuff.

Thanks for listening! I try to be eclectic, to say the least. Rhino Virus is not meant to be serious at all; I wouldn't have put circus instruments in it if I wanted to be serious, hehe. Untitled Demo 1 is the one I put the most effort into, and is probably be the only song on my page currently that will make it to an official release. I don't mind the Earthbound comparison at all! I love old video game music. Thanks for saying my wedding song was sweet, my wife agrees with you there. Did you listen to the newest song, "The K Brothers"?

Count Mecha 04.29.2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevOK
Thanks for listening! I try to be eclectic, to say the least. Rhino Virus is not meant to be serious at all; I wouldn't have put circus instruments in it if I wanted to be serious, hehe. Untitled Demo 1 is the one I put the most effort into, and is probably be the only song on my page currently that will make it to an official release. I don't mind the Earthbound comparison at all! I love old video game music. Thanks for saying my wedding song was sweet, my wife agrees with you there. Did you listen to the newest song, "The K Brothers"?

Yeah, I listened to The K brothers. When I go to someone's myspace, I give all the songs a go. I remember having some thought about it. I've lost it though. I remember thinking "I don't hear any guitar in this at all." Haha. I like how the speed just jerks around the whole time until it just falls apart at the end, and those last notes just seem thrown in there. I listened to it a couple of times, the first time I didn't think it sounded finished, makes more sense the second time.

StevOK 04.29.2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I listened to The K brothers. When I go to someone's myspace, I give all the songs a go. I remember having some thought about it. I've lost it though. I remember thinking "I don't hear any guitar in this at all." Haha. I like how the speed just jerks around the whole time until it just falls apart at the end, and those last notes just seem thrown in there. I listened to it a couple of times, the first time I didn't think it sounded finished, makes more sense the second time.

The guitar was processed. His amp is really noisy, so I ran a noise reduction on it, which made it sound more like organ. If you listen carefully that little bit at the end plays throughout the song. The reason that it doesn't really sound finished is because it only took about 45 minutes to make. I was just messing around with it while my internet connection wasn't working and I was bored. Thanks again for listening!

StevOK 05.03.2009 04:54 PM

Just posted a rendering of one of my friend's compositions called "Epic Storm".

Here's his version: http://www.bandarrangers.com/listen.asp?id=1012352

Here's mine of facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/StevOK/23801732290

Dead-Air 05.07.2009 09:28 PM

Some shots from our Live on KPSU show:

You can download the show or listen to the stream HERE!

krastian 05.07.2009 09:33 PM

Man, I'd love to rock with a lot of you guys.

automatic bzooty 05.10.2009 10:41 PM

fuuuuuuuck, i'd love to be in a band, but no one around likes the same shit i do. there's not much of a 'scene' here, either... besides fashioncore wankery and/or classic rawk cover bands. ):<

/whinging

DeadDiscoDildo 05.13.2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dionysusundone
The NEC and Gringo Star I know, but not familiar with the other ones.

Hey man we'll becoming to the 529 in East Atlanta on July 2nd if you wanna come out! Playing with The Judies and Book of Colors.