Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Evol Vinyl Question (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=48889)

intactradio 04.09.2011 03:57 PM

Evol Vinyl Question

Hey - I picked up a copy of Evol on vinyl from a used record store six or seven years ago and one side of the record contains tracks from Evol (not in the standard running order) while the other side has a track of classical music followed by a track of silence followed by a track of classical music and so on...
The sticker on the record is white with no markings on it.

I pulled my regular copy of Evol off of the shelf the other day to listen to and remembered that I had been meaning to ask about this. Has anyone got any idea what this copy of Evol actually is?

Thanks!

Chris Lawrence 04.09.2011 04:06 PM

"A copy purchased in North Wales in the late 80s has a peculiar defect - there is nothing printed on the center label and side two doesn't feature any SY songs, just tracks of silence interspersed with melancholy piano music. If you have any information on this mispressing, please contact me! The owner is very curious. Thanks!"

intactradio 04.09.2011 04:14 PM

Hey - yeah, I spotted that and emailed the person who curates the discography but didn't receive a reply. I figured I'd throw it out here and see if anyone else has any ideas. I'm from Scotland, so I wonder if it's a UK bootleg or something.

Derek 04.09.2011 04:37 PM

Scotland eh?

intactradio 04.09.2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Scotland eh?

hello - hi - yep. glasgow.

Chris Lawrence 04.09.2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intactradio
Hey - yeah, I spotted that and emailed the person who curates the discography but didn't receive a reply. I figured I'd throw it out here and see if anyone else has any ideas. I'm from Scotland, so I wonder if it's a UK bootleg or something.

well, this is awkward. unfortunately I only know what's in the discography, and now we know there's at least two! what is the running order on the side that actually contains SY?

Derek 04.09.2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intactradio
hello - hi - yep. glasgow.

Same here.

intactradio 04.09.2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
well, this is awkward. unfortunately I only know what's in the discography, and now we know there's at least two! what is the running order on the side that actually contains SY?

i correct my first post - just listened back to the record and the running order is the same as the first side of the standard lp.

side 1:

1. tom violence
2. shadow of a doubt
3. star power
4. in the kingdom
5. green light

side 2:

1. silence
2. classical (unidentified string piece)
3. silence
4. classical (same unidentified string piece)
5. silence

maybe some sort of test pressing?

easyrazors 04.10.2011 03:59 AM

I have two of them. I think I got them both in the record and tape exchange in Notting Hill Gate in the late 80s, although at different times. I hadn't realised that there was the silence and classical music on one side until a few years ago. They were sold as one-sided test pressings when I bought them

Pelle 04.10.2011 11:44 AM

Can u make a vinylrip of that side?
sounds intressting.