Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Portishead to curate ATP NBC 2007 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13354)

Moshe 05.21.2007 11:56 PM

Portishead to curate ATP NBC 2007

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/n...-atp-xmas-fest

Portishead to Curate/Perform at ATP Xmas Fest

If that surprise club gig this past February was a single, ominous cloud, then this is the foreshadowed thunderstorm in all its full-blown, gloomy glory.

Following in the feedback squalls of last year's picker-outter person, Thurston Moore, Bristol trio Portishead will curate the 2007 edition of All Tomorrow's Parties' the Nightmare Before Christmas, according to the act's official website. The landmark event goes down December 7-9, 2007 at ATP's usual stomping grounds, Butlins Holiday Centre in wee Minehead, England.

And that's not the half of it. In addition to compiling the fest's menu of sure-to-be eclectic and electrifying fare, Beth Gibbons, Geoff Barrow, and Adrian Utley will reconvene for their first full-on performance of new material in nearly 10 years.

Indeed, this year marks the tenth anniversary of Portishead's Portishead, the act's second-- and, er, most recent-- release. New album this year, guys? Maybe?

"We have always loved the All Tomorrow's Parties set up and we're happy our first shows will be there," wrote the band in a message on their site. "It's great to have the opportunity to introduce bands we love or have influenced us. We've chosen a diverse collection of artists to play with us and we're really looking forward to it"

Those artists have not yet been announced, but Pitchfork is banking on a diverse collection of 'head bands, including Radiohead, Talking Heads, Motörhead, and, hell, Pigeonhead.

And you may perhaps be aware that Pitchfork and ATP have partnered to present an installment of Don't Look Back-- featuring Sonic Youth, GZA/Genius, and Slint-- at the opening night of the Pitchfork Music Festival, July 13 at Chicago's Union Park.

sonicl 05.22.2007 12:06 AM

I like that idea - I have no idea what sort of a line-up I'd expect from a Portishead-curated festival, and I'll be interested to see what they come up with. Probably not interested enough to go, but interested anyway.

pbradley 05.22.2007 12:17 AM

I hope for a tasty bootleg.

Toilet & Bowels 05.22.2007 04:56 AM

could be interesting

therealglenstyler 05.22.2007 06:30 AM

...or a three day snooze-fest brightened only by isaac hayes' hilariously misjudged decision to play "chocolate salty balls" in the manner of "by the time i get to phoenix" with the twenty-five unknown Wu-tang clanners as guest mc's.

Iain 05.22.2007 06:35 AM

Yeah, this is a real headscratcher. Could be either a totally boring or super interesting line-up...or anywhere in between.

sarramkrop 05.22.2007 06:35 AM

I'd like to see what the line up will be like.

therealglenstyler 05.22.2007 08:22 AM

i just read that the first few bands will be announced next week, should be interesting

sonicl 05.22.2007 09:12 AM

One of the Portishead guys has done work with those Scottish guys who do gigs in places like nuclear fallout shelters and empty oil storage tanks, hasn't he? It'll be good if that side of the band's taste comes to the fore when they arrange the line-up.

Edit - Mount Vernon Arts Lab

sarramkrop 05.22.2007 09:28 AM

Seems like the new album will be coming out sometime soon:

thanks to everyone who added madelines pic to your profile...

as to portishead news , things are good the tracks are coming together at last.

we have also started to look at the website portishead.co.uk

we have opened a new mailing list and we intend to use it to give people information upfront of press and offer people a head start to get tickets for gigs and other stuff.

we realise that we have been away for a long time and we appreciate anyone who has stayed with us through this time.

as for future plans , check here or portishead.co.uk for an announcement next week.

thanks

geoff {P}

Everyneurotic 05.22.2007 10:07 AM

anyone know what's going on with that band geaoff barrow was producing/programming with members of mogwai and electric wizard?

sonicl 05.22.2007 10:17 AM

They have a CD out. Give me a minute and I'll try to remember the band's name.

edit - Crippled Black Pheonix

Everyneurotic 05.22.2007 10:22 AM

thanks man!!

hmm, they have no samples or songs for download...

sonicl 05.22.2007 10:24 AM

They have a myspace, there's music on there.

I'm too good to you.

Everyneurotic 05.22.2007 10:26 AM

yeah, i don't deserve you.

Katy 05.22.2007 11:40 AM

It's about time the curator/s for the xmas ATP were announced.

This time last year they already had the first crop of acts confirmed.

Green Magnesium 05.22.2007 01:22 PM

Love me some Portishead. It's about time they got their act together. Who do they think they are, My Bloody Valetnine?

Glice 10.06.2007 08:31 AM

BORIS »
OM »
PORTISHEAD »
APHEX TWIN »
JULIAN COPE »
SPARKLEHORSE »
ONEIDA »
BLACK MOUNTAIN »
CRIPPLED BLACK PHOENIX »
FUZZ AGAINST JUNK »
SEASICK STEVE »
TEAM BRICK »
EARTH »
A HAWK AND A HACKSAW »
KLING KLANG »
LADYTRON »
THURSTON MOORE (SOLO) »
AUTOLUX »
JAH SHAKA SOUNDSYSTEM »
SUNN O))) »
FRANçOIZ BREUT »
GLENN BRANCA PRESENTS NEW WORK FOR GUITARS WITH SPECIAL GUESTS »
GLENN BRANCA WITH THE PARANOID CRITICAL REVOLUTION »
JERRY SADOWITZ »
THE HORRORS »
CHROME HOOF »
MALCOLM MIDDLETON »
JOE VOLK »
LUCKY LUKE »
THE HEADS »
GZA/GENIUS (WU TANG CLAN)
DICK DALE
OREN AMBARCHI
JOHN PARISH
POLAR BEAR
ATAVIST
BLOOD ISLAND RAIDERS
SILVER APPLES

Out of curiosity, who else is going?

farmhouse 10.06.2007 08:53 AM

^ i'm desperately trying to go, but it's sold out now.

hopefully nearer the time some spare tix will surface.

Glice 10.06.2007 09:01 AM

My party may have two spare tickets, so if my attempts to hawk them to flesh-world people fail I may be in touch.