Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands you are in and opening for... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=50)

scott v 03.21.2006 02:53 PM

Bands you are in and opening for...

A little shameless self promotion here...

my band Bare flames is opening for

Jackie-O-Motherfucker & Sir Richard Bishop (Sun City Girls) next week and in May we are also opening for the Wharton Tiers Band and the Creeping Nobodies (Toronto, CA)...

thats all i have to say right now...

anyone else in bands playing with/opening for anyone interesting?

marleypumpkin 03.22.2006 07:17 AM

Well, were not opening for anyone, but, my sister (Sarah) & I (James) are in a band. She plays rythym guitar, & is the vocalist. I play lead guitar, bass, & drums. The group is called Privacy. When we're on stage, we have a back-up drummer because I drum to the songs my sister has written, & I play guitar for the songs that I have written. I write mostly rock/punk/noise stuff, & my sister writes kind of folk rock type stuff. It's an interesting mix none the less.

Savage Clone 03.22.2006 10:33 AM

I'm playing Terrastock too!
See you there, Charlie.

Savage Clone 03.22.2006 11:00 AM

Side one of our LP "Live At Soo Gallery" here:

http://mattzaun.com/music/01%20A%20Thirsty%20End.mp3

Savage Clone 03.22.2006 11:50 AM

We're bringing records, all right!
Thanks for the kind words.
It will be cool to meet you.

marleypumpkin 03.22.2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie
nice work, post a link to your stuff I'd be interested to hear it.

my band is playing at Terrastock next month and also opening for Paik & Landing in Somerville MA and PG Six & Pothole Skinny in New York.

Were you refering to my group charlie? 'Cuz I'd be happy to do so.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.22.2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
A little shameless self promotion here...

my band Bare flames is opening for

Jackie-O-Motherfucker & Sir Richard Bishop (Sun City Girls) next week and in May we are also opening for the Wharton Tiers Band and the Creeping Nobodies (Toronto, CA)...

thats all i have to say right now...

anyone else in bands playing with/opening for anyone interesting?

wharton tiers, really? nice.

themawt71 03.23.2006 04:43 AM

me and my old friend(who is now sadly a junkie back in tn) opened up for the old singer for soul coughing. he told the club he wanted a dj set but for some reason the owner asked me and nick to do it so we played 30 minutes of noise - me on guitar loops cd player and nick on tenor. he didnt seem too pleased tho the crowd was way into it. we played at the pilot light which is in knoxville which is where i used to live which is where marley pumpkin seems to live presently. so hows knox these days MP?

and scott v- we may have played a show together last october in buffalo at the soundlab(is there a club there called this?) but im not sure. were you in a duet with siew-wai kok?(think i spelled that wrong). you on guitar and siew wai on vocals. steve k and the trombonist from buffalo suicide prevention unit played too. i was on the old jaguar and sarah played the trombone. if this is you im sorry if i forgot your name.

matt

golden child 03.24.2006 01:07 AM

i play as the barracks of afghanistan

i have opened for emil beaulieau on two occasions
playing in the same festival as daniel menche
and
this next weekend im playing a fest that will include nkondi, other peoples children and daniel menche amoung others

in july im playing with realicide too

probaly all a guys who give me erections but you guys think are a bunch of losers...

guitarpro 03.24.2006 02:30 AM

I'm not in a band right now but I am working on some solo stuff.

marleypumpkin 03.24.2006 03:10 AM

Yeah, always working on solo stuff. That's how I work to. But usually, the stuff that I write from solo, are songs that end up on my group Privacy's catalouge. I'm calling my one man band, Dislodgement.

scott v 03.24.2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themawt71
and scott v- we may have played a show together last october in buffalo at the soundlab(is there a club there called this?) but im not sure. were you in a duet with siew-wai kok?(think i spelled that wrong). you on guitar and siew wai on vocals. steve k and the trombonist from buffalo suicide prevention unit played too. i was on the old jaguar and sarah played the trombone. if this is you im sorry if i forgot your name.

matt

hey matt, yeah we did play together @ Soundlab, that was a good time, reading this reminds me that i need to email siew-wai since i haven't been in touch w/ her since she moved back to Malayasia... yeah that was also Steve Baczkowski on sax and Mike Hermanson on trombone.

so how are you? and sarah? and how did the rest of shows work out for you two?

and for someone else here who was interested my "rock" band has a myspace page w/ some music, though its a little dated as it was recorded when we were still a 3-piece and we are now a quartet and will be probably be having vocals...

www.myspace.com/bareflames

i have opened for Jackie-O before last year but now i seem to not remember which of my bands opened, i think it was my noise/improv band Caustic Solution who opened for Magik Markers & Sunburned Hand of the Man. Opening for The Wharton Tiers band is rather coincidental for our drummer he is a Buffalo transplant from NYC, he was in Dymaxion (who toured w/ Stereolab/High Llamas and had a 7" on Duophonic) and also played bass in the Wharton Tiers Ensemble for a year.

noah 04.03.2006 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden child
i play as the barracks of afghanistan

i have opened for emil beaulieau on two occasions
playing in the same festival as daniel menche
and
this next weekend im playing a fest that will include nkondi, other peoples children and daniel menche amoung others

in july im playing with realicide too

probaly all a guys who give me erections but you guys think are a bunch of losers...

cool, i pretty good friends with robert from realicde. where are you playing with them? my band social junk just put out a split with rob actually.

Onani Nic 04.03.2006 03:52 AM

My band is called Onani, we are another Noise/Drone/Psyche/Punx/whatever duo. We just got the news we will be supporting Wolf Eyes at the Sydney show of their Australian tour.

It is pretty much a dream come true for us especially since we have only been playing together for about 6 months and are only 18 and 19 years old.

whorefrost 04.03.2006 05:00 AM

EDIT: (my brother was posting shit to be annoying)

Inhuman 04.03.2006 09:10 AM

Aah my stepdad's friend is opening for Dinosaur Jr. He's lucky...

Thomas Moronic 04.03.2006 09:58 AM

My band What The Moon Is Like are playing with The Microphones/Mount Eerie My 20th in Coventry UK.
www.myspace.com/whatthemoonislike
www.cueblue.co.uk/whatthemoonislike
www.myspace.com/thomasmoronic

golden child 04.03.2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noah
cool, i pretty good friends with robert from realicde. where are you playing with them? my band social junk just put out a split with rob actually.

they are touring this summer and i booked them here in salem, oregon. where can i get this split? i remember hearing social junk and they were pretty good.

golden child 05.24.2006 04:02 PM

i saw the split on their site, im gonna be ordering alot of stuff from him soon so ill get it.

im playing with the haters next month
yay!

dietzer123 05.24.2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
My band is called Onani, we are another Noise/Drone/Psyche/Punx/whatever duo. We just got the news we will be supporting Wolf Eyes at the Sydney show of their Australian tour.

It is pretty much a dream come true for us especially since we have only been playing together for about 6 months and are only 18 and 19 years old.

that's quite sweet. congrats