Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Murray Street Lp question (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=278)

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.25.2006 08:37 PM

Murray Street Lp question

[Just the album over all]
I was and am listening to Murray Street and I just finished Karen Revisited. Only I just noticed something for the first time. At the end of the song you can here clapping for about ten seconds. I was wondering if it was perhaps a live recording or they just recorded clapping on the track.

Any one else notice this?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.25.2006 08:50 PM

cool, thanks. sounds good atleast.

listening to nurse now.

top 40 squeeze 03.25.2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
cool, thanks. sounds good atleast.

listening to nurse now.

Nah, I remember them saying they blended an early live outro recording of the song when it was still titled "dirge" onto the studio recorded verse-chorus-verse part to get the genuine improv thing... I actually think I might have been at the Gig they recorded it at. I was at both the Bowery Ballroom 9-11 benefit they did, and the NYU show (Hahahaha I was one of those pig-fuckers), two of the few shows played before the album came out. I think they also did some gigs at the flywheel, which might be more likely where it was recorded, because they could probably set up a better soundboard recording there, maybe... All of these shows used to be up in the video section of this site around the release of the record, so i guess someone could listen and compare if anyone still has those. Or maybe someone already knows.

So tell us.

Right

Now.

guitarpro 03.26.2006 04:30 AM

That's one of my faveorite songs on that record

Kannibal 03.26.2006 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarpro
That's one of my faveorite songs on that record

really?

ok, here's what CL says:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/sy/song328.html

Neongod 03.26.2006 07:21 PM

The last 5 minutes of that song are so boring....that's my only discredit to the album. Yes, I like Plastic Sun...great lyrics.

samuel 03.26.2006 07:26 PM

another question:
does anybody know what does Street Sauce sounds like?
how does it compared to Kim Chords?

Kim Chords is my favorite instrumental

Hip Priest 03.26.2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuel
another question:
does anybody know what does Street Sauce sounds like?
how does it compared to Kim Chords?

Kim Chords is my favorite instrumental

Kim Chords is a mighty piece. MAkes up for the added content on the Nurse cd not working for me!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.26.2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by top 40 squeeze
Nah, I remember them saying they blended an early live outro recording of the song when it was still titled "dirge" onto the studio recorded verse-chorus-verse part to get the genuine improv thing... I actually think I might have been at the Gig they recorded it at. I was at both the Bowery Ballroom 9-11 benefit they did, and the NYU show (Hahahaha I was one of those pig-fuckers), two of the few shows played before the album came out. I think they also did some gigs at the flywheel, which might be more likely where it was recorded, because they could probably set up a better soundboard recording there, maybe... All of these shows used to be up in the video section of this site around the release of the record, so i guess someone could listen and compare if anyone still has those. Or maybe someone already knows.

So tell us.

Right

Now.

hey thanks.

SonikJesus 03.26.2006 11:22 PM

I remember Kim saying in an interview that the clapping was from a live concert. The whole noise section at the end was mixed using different recordings and SY thought that last live part was the best version so they used that part.

Bal 03.27.2006 04:48 AM

they recorded the noise part live - its written on the cd booklet or somewhere.

val-holla-ing 04.02.2006 10:37 PM

the calm freak out is a mix from something they recorded live.

i'm interested in hearing "street sauce," though.

scott v 04.03.2006 06:48 PM

street sauce is a longish noise/improv piece that is taken from the Demonlover Soundtrack sessions... available on Japanese versions of Murray Street, a similar sounding segment is included as a track on the Demonlover Soundtrack.

logcabinrecluse 04.04.2006 09:18 AM

the clapping is me. i was there.