Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Last Gig You Went To And What Was It Like Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=104571)

Skuj 09.21.2014 10:40 PM

Swans. Epic.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.21.2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Hot Snakes yesterday in Long Beach. sound was brutal but the crowd sucked ass. youd think a sound like Hot Snakes would make hipsters move but i guess not

Long beach near LA? The scene died there in 2008 :( ..... im at the Palms show right now

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.21.2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Swans. Epic.

fucking shit I should have went to this

Toilet & Bowels 09.23.2014 02:50 PM

Bardo Pond last night, heavy as fook and great as always.
Off to see Magik Markers and Sick Llama now. Sweet!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.23.2014 04:03 PM

Saw Palms (Chino from deftones with Isis featuring Chuck Doom) at the Observatory this past Sunday in the OC..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvsYvUAd6Mw

It was loud and shoe gazey and I had a blast..

A bit short though.. they only have 6 songs and they even played a new one but they didn't fill their set with a cover song, didn't quite extend some of the songs as long as they have before, and didn't have a lot of banter in between songs but hey, Chino played the Sunset Strip Fest with Crosses Saturday afternoon and they had a show last night at the Troubadour so its understandable..

It was worth the drive and going solo fo sho!!

SonikJesus 09.24.2014 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Long beach near LA? The scene died there in 2008 :( ..... im at the Palms show right now

yea i noticed that haha. pomona always has good crowds

Toilet & Bowels 09.24.2014 06:05 AM

Magik Markers were very good but kind of subdued compared to previous times I've seen them. Also the set seemed short, but I don't know if that was just sure to time flying.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.29.2014 12:37 AM

Abyssinians.freddie.mcgregor.u-roy.johnny osbourne.ken booth.tamlins.admiral tibet. ister carol... all on the beach overlooking downtown long,beach skyline?? One of the best.shows of.the year

Drjohnrock 10.08.2014 07:37 PM

Kid Congo Powers and the Pink Monkey Birds the weekend before last at MidPoint Music Festival in Cincinnati. Yes, Kid Congo has a great resume, The Gun Club/The Cramps/Nick Cave/etc., but he's a very capable bandleader. Raw, passionate punk/rock and roll/rockabilly like I haven't heard in quite some time. The best show I've seen all year.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.08.2014 11:24 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before saying Fuck the Bengals to Drjohnrock again.

Drjohnrock 10.09.2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
You must spread some Reputation around before saying Fuck the Bengals to Drjohnrock again.

Wow, talk about your non sequiturs--but FWIW, I can't stand the Bengals. More to the point, I can't stand Mike Brown, one of the most evil persons on the planet. As long as the Brown family controls the team--and it looks like that will be the case as long as there's an NFL--Bungles fans can forget about a Super Bowl victory. Like Mark E. Smith said about the North of England: "The North will rise again/not in ten thousand years".

Toilet & Bowels 10.09.2014 09:47 AM

Jex Thoth last night, bad sound but great performance

Phlegmscope 10.12.2014 04:05 PM

Last night at Höstfest 2014:

CIRCLE: Uncanny, monolithic, super fucking riff rock. Great stage presence as well, best sort of dicking around.

Kemialliset Ystävät: It's been six or seven years since the last time I really listened to them, and back then they were sitting on the floor playing darker drones. Now they had tables. Very pop oriented they've become. in a way it reminded me of four tet playing repetitive kraut shit. Excellent. I probably need to check out the newer stuff.

Teksti-TV 666: A New band, hadn't heard them before, but was positively surprised. Krautpunk sonic wall attack maybe with hints of ride, chapterhouse, jacobs mouse and that sort of pop rock thing. Nice. this sort of stuff: http://youtu.be/aXPN_BCk_3Y

Phlegmscope 10.12.2014 04:13 PM

Also:

Earlier this week I went to see the Japanese New Music Festival. Three blokes (Kawabata Makoto, Yoshida Tatsuya, Tsuyama Atsushi ), eight projects. Brilliant night of free-rock psyche freak outs, stupid comedy foolery and musical virtuosity.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.12.2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
Bungles fans can forget about a Super Bowl victory. ".

as a ravens man I couldnt agree with you more ;)

ilduclo 10.13.2014 08:47 AM

Phlegmscope, nice stuff!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.13.2014 02:20 PM

Ex hex with speedy ortiz last nite.. speedy ortiz came out initially sounding like some 1992 era aonic youth wanna bes but by the,end of their set they put together something bordering on good. At the least they were loud but most of their music lacked the structure of music but also lacked the intensity to be no-wave. Ex-hex put on the hands down best show ive seen in years. Balls out rock n roll with no bullshit from the first song. They were tight and rehearsed, their set was dripping with chemistry.. and those jam out solos for every song? All that supported by seriously grooving drums and bass. Really, ive seen mary timony play live in several different bands over the years this was her best. It was loud, aggressive, yet always smiling in a way only mary timony can do. I dare say she looked the most confident, leading stage presence she's ever had in 20 years! She also seemed to be the most fun. Pics soon to come

SpaceCadetHayden 10.13.2014 05:03 PM

ricky eat acid. super dope. threw up a lot. smoked newports with sam. 10/10

Toilet & Bowels 10.13.2014 06:43 PM

Hijokaidan and Borbetomagus, every bit as heavy shit fucking as you might expect, plus more! PLUS MORE!

Like being sexually assaulted by cement mixer while dropping the best turd of your life.

So fuck you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And both of your parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 In all of your rectums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.13.2014 07:01 PM

To be sure, Ex-Hex was as heavy as a cement mixer but with a smile. Indeed, I don't think I've EVER seen Mary Timony have that much fun, neither have that much stage presence. Everytime I've seen her she is kind of shy and soft-spoken, NOT FUCKING LAST NIGHT