Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Steve Albini Discussion Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11188)

atsonicpark 03.11.2007 08:05 AM

He's great. Met him. Great guy. Love his work.

sarramkrop 03.12.2007 04:51 AM

I'll never ever understand, after all these years, why certain people still go on and on and on, like a broken record, about Steve Albini's misogyny or sexism when it's obvious that he is neither and in Big Black/Rapeman and Shellac has produced some formidable music, not to mention that he often makes mediocre bands sound more appealing.If he was so misogynistic and sexist, why would he produce Electrelane, who are an all girl-band and in various interviews said that he was a great guy to work with, etc etc?

Norma J 03.12.2007 04:56 AM

I haven't got any Rapeman, sinful I know, I know. But I love Shellac and Big Black.

Onani Nic 03.12.2007 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I'll never ever understand, after all these years, why certain people still go on and on and on, like a broken record, about Steve Albini's misogyny or sexism when it's obvious that he is neither and in Big Black/Rapeman and Shellac has produced some formidable music, not to mention that he often makes mediocre bands sound more appealing.If he was so misogynistic and sexist, why would he produce Electrelane, who are an all girl-band and in various interviews said that he was a great guy to work with, etc etc?

I'm starting to think people are basing it on some of his lyrics content such as Kim Gordons Panties.

sarramkrop 03.12.2007 05:56 AM

Oh, i see.

king_buzzo 03.12.2007 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
I haven't got any Rapeman, sinful I know, I know. But I love Shellac and Big Black.

get 2 nuns and a pack mule. its awesome

jon boy 03.12.2007 06:01 AM

whats the difference between steve albini and hitler?

the moustache.

sarramkrop 03.12.2007 06:04 AM

One was a killer and the other one makes killer music.The only thing that doesn't make them any different from each other is that both of them have/had plans and stick/stuck to them with serious intent.

sonicl 03.12.2007 06:10 AM

Before people slag Albini off, I recommend that they read PunkPlanet's interview with him from a few years ago, reprinted in the "We Owe You Nothing" anthology. He seems a pretty damn decent, sincere guy to me.

jon boy 03.12.2007 06:14 AM

i like and dislike him in equal measure. some of the stuff he has done is really amazing but some of it i find kinda dull.

sarramkrop 03.12.2007 06:26 AM

And, anyway, what has the fact that he charges this or that for producing a record got to do with anything?He's not exactly someone who started messing about with knobs 3 hours ago, you know?

sonicl 03.12.2007 06:33 AM

I admire the fact that he looks upon his recording sideline in a totally business sense, not as art of some sort. He makes a point of saying that he's not a producer, he just uses the skills that he has as a recording engineer to make as good a recording as possible of what a band plays in the studio. He doesn't try to influence the band's style or act as an conciliator if there are disagreements with the band he's recording, he just records what they play. You record with Albini, you know that you're not going to get your tapes back and find the producer has dubbed a horn part onto your recording or something dumb like that.

He and the other staff at Electrical Audio all wear workmens' overalls while they're working: "Workmens' clothes for men doing a job of work". To me, that's cool.

jon boy 03.12.2007 06:40 AM

shellac are one of the most ripped off bands i can think of. well they are in leeds anyway.

Toilet & Bowels 03.12.2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
shellac are one of the most ripped off bands i can think of. well they are in leeds anyway.

i've seen a few leeds bands play in london supporting other bands and they all sounded a bit like shellac in one way or "t'other"

Iain 03.12.2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i've seen a few leeds bands play in london supporting other bands and they all sounded a bit like shellac in one way or "t'other"

Good use of northern vernacular. Good one.

next step 03.16.2007 09:21 AM

Steve Albini and his crew have the greatest sound to my taste. I really like what they got from an amp, guitar, bass, drums etc. I like their work from many years and I like them more year by year!

LONG LIFE TO SIR STEVE!!

next step 03.16.2007 09:26 AM

well I did very long discussion about ALBINI'S RECORDING with friends but is not easy to spk about it thru a keyboard and I think KEYBOARDS aren't an ALBINI's thing haahah

SonicSam 03.16.2007 10:11 AM

Rapeman, shellac and big black are all great, what other bands has he been in?
He's also produced some top bands, slint, don cab, dis-, man or astroman? etc... He has put a lot of hard work into music, for a long time. to be fair, i've never really read his lyrics, but i have read interviews with him and he seems OK...But if he's cool or an arsehole he's done a lot of good for music!

king_buzzo 03.16.2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
whats the difference between steve albini and hitler?

the moustache.

haha.

sarramkrop 03.16.2007 04:16 PM

Make music as good as he has and then talk.For the time being......just chat.